Newbie hints and tips - dm500s SETUP - common problems

jsandhu

Hi guys, this is a general post and I will try to cover as many common problems and questions newbie may come across.

1) Best dm500s image:

I have personally tried and tested gemini, openPli and commando images. Without a shadow of a doubt COMMANDO 14.7 is the best image for dm500. I am sure many will agree with this.
But why?
It comes preloaded with EPG, bouquets and channels are automatically set for satellite astra 28.2. It provides a very user friendly interface and has a similar feel to other well established set top boxes.
However, you will need to install a cccam. I will explain this later.

2)Flashing an image:
I will not got into too much detail because there are numerous tutorials online to help you.
You could use telnet and ftp which is the quickest way if you do not have a null modem cable. If you lose connection midway through flashing, or the image does not flash properly there is a high chance you will brick your box.
Safest route = BUY A NULL MODEM CABLE.

3)PROLIFIC USB TO SERIAL RS232 CABLE or NULL MODEM...WHAT DO I USE!?!
usb to serial cables are not guaranteed to work no matter where you purchase them from. You can spend £19.99
in maplins and buy a gender changer but there is the 40% chance it still won't work. So save yourself the hassle and money.
I recommend buying yourself a female to female 9 pin NULL MODEM cable from ebay which costs around 3 pounds. New computers do not come with RS232 PCI adapter card. So you can either dig out an old PC which contains a 9 pin PCI card or purchase a new one for around 7 pounds on ebay. This is GUARANTEED to flash your box using dreamUP.

4)Installing a CCCAM
A quick google search will direct you to the latest CCCAM. You must telnet to the box using flashfxp and transfer the file to var/bin/emu. And then chmod the file to 755. This requires you to right click the CCCAM file and select attributes(chmod) then type the number 755.
This must now be activated from the dm500 itself. COMMANDO 14.7 go into specifics of this in the hints and tips text file that comes with the image.

General Problems:
5) Your box arrived with a PIN on the setup menu and you don't have a null modem cable:
-The problem here is it is difficult to find the IP address of the dm500 to telnet and ftp to the box. What you can do:
5.1) Log into your router from your browser. Usually 192.168.x.x.
5.2) Browse to attached devices/connected devices and locate the IP address of the dreambox. It may be called unknown.
5.3) Then flash your dreambox using telnet and ftp - username: root Password: dreambox
HOWEVER
The above username and password nay not work if it has been changed by the seller.
Your only option now is get your hands on that NULL MODEM cable and flash with dreamUP. This will erase all set passwords and pins.

MAC USERS can use idreamX to transfer files.
If you have any questions post and I will reply asap.

HI

JUst came across this thread and thought maybe you can help. WHere can I find an auto bouquet (or a regular bouquet) for DM500s? ANy link and a "how to guide" to put it in the machine?

Thanks in advance

Back