Noob, diy or buy from a seller

winnywood

Hi guys, im new to this zgemma box thing .
I am thinking of getting a box but i am contemplating whether to buy a box from supplier and set it up myself or to pay for a fully setup box.

Im reasonably techy so know how to flash firmwares and stuff like that.
Had a little bit of experience with a openbox.

Anyone suggest which is best and more cost effective.
Cheers.

if it isnt broke, take it apart then it soon will be.

I would suggest along with everybody here to buy your own and set up yourself, you can have the full thing set up in no time, just read the stickies regarding different builds, there is full instructions on this forum as well as a video.
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest along with everybody here to buy your own and set up yourself, you can have the full thing set up in no time, just read the stickies regarding different builds, there is full instructions on this forum as well as a video.
Enjoy

I second that. I'm not at all techy, but after reading through threads here (and having received advice from the helpful guys here) I've been able to set up my zGemma just teh way I wanted it, including having an SD card for EPG and timeshift and a hard drive for the recordings.
Had I just bought a pre-loaded box I wouldn't have worked out / understood how to do that.

Thanks guys.
Think i knew the answerfrom start
What hardware do i need?
Obliviously il need a gift.
Can you run streaming services from these box aswell?
My missus bought me a raspberry pi for Christmas so was thinking of turning that into a retro games machine and media streamer.

Decide how much memory you want for recordings and downloads etc,
So do you want to use a micro sd card for epg and timeshift function .
You will need a fat 32 flash disk for flashing image, I've used a kingston, integral and Lexmark drives, people quote all sorts of things re decent drives
And yes you will need a gift/line c or N , I prefer N and run it via mgcamd,
Think that's it for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would say buy a box from this site forum, set it up your self & save yourself 40-50 quid straight away, a good place to start would be with Wooshbuild v5 & get the feel for it first then once you are happy then create a barebone build for yourself, a good start is to have a small usb to flash the build & a bigger usb for storage or you could use a external harddrive instead, look for the wooshbuild guide on youtube by meltedhead & you cant go wrong. Hope this helps

sent from the past using my Zx Spectrum

And if you buy a plug and play box from the the likes of fleabay you take the chance that your line will fail before it is due to expire and hey ho the person you bought it from is no longer contactable.
Buy your box from here, the official supplier is at the top of this page and get a few test lines from ...... http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...-server-satellite-november-december-only.html ....... and decide which you prefer.
Lots of set up options on the forum, I would recommend Wooshbuild V5, easy to follow setup instructions and it takes only 20 - 25 mins before you are up and running.
Good luck

Last edited:
Yes. Buy, diy (but for your gift/line go for a good seller on here) and enjoy tinkering.

To begin with I suggest a 1tb USB hdd.

Thanks guys.
Which is the best box to buy.
I have two sat cables.
I am thinking of getting my Dad one too he only has one sat cable available.

The site sponsor says a discount for techkings members.
How do you apply that and how much is the discount?

Ordered my box.
Does anyone know if the zgemma h2s supports hdmi-cec.

Back