Not Really Sure What To Do Now

I had an Openbox for quite a while using cardsharing on satellite, until the Sky channels started to go. Not long after, I decided to ring Sky, and got all the channels on Sky for £35.00 a month (Entertainment + Movies + Sports + HD). Now, my contract is up soon and I'm not sure whether or not I should renew it, or just get something cheaper.

I'm not bothered about PPVs, live pause, live rewind, recording, on demand, EPG and HD. These things are nice, but I'm not too bothered if I don't have them. As long as I can see what's on now and next, and the quality is at least SD, then it's fine. I just want live Sky channels.

I don't live in a cable area :( so that isn't an option. Because of what was said about IPTV, and the quality of it, I never bothered to even try it. Paying for a month and trying it out isn't too bad, it's paying for a new box that's shit. Also, a motorised dish isn't an option. I live in a flat and just get a single feed from a communal satellite dish.

I would like IPTV + Freesat and the remaining Sky channels on one box, like the Zgemma H2S, but doesn't IPTV run horrible on that box, or is it OK? The MAG box looks good, but then it means switching between that and the Openbox. That's fine, just a bit of a pain in the arse. I don't really care too much about Sky Sports, but still watch them rarely. That's something that a lot of people say that IPTV struggles with, live football because of the frames or something. But again, because I rarely watch Sky Sports, that wouldn't be an issue.

So how is IPTV then, and how much does it typically cost? Is it worth bothering to spend money on it, or should I just stay with Sky, or even just start using the Openbox again, with the remaining Sky channels? Thanks for your help.

a lot of communal dishes have feeds for 19 and/or 13 as well as 28
not sure how you would find out though,,,,

a lot of communal dishes have feeds for 19 and/or 13 as well as 28
not sure how you would find out though,,,,
Yeah, but how would I get that into my flat? The single feed comes through a wallplate. The only reason I would like more feeds is so I can have Sky box in my bedroom.

communal dishes tend be be owned by murdochs lot and i would be careful on adding anything on that or they will come looking

I had an Openbox for quite a while using cardsharing on satellite, until the Sky channels started to go. Not long after, I decided to ring Sky, and got all the channels on Sky for £35.00 a month (Entertainment + Movies + Sports + HD). Now, my contract is up soon and I'm not sure whether or not I should renew it, or just get something cheaper.

I'm not bothered about PPVs, live pause, live rewind, recording, on demand, EPG and HD. These things are nice, but I'm not too bothered if I don't have them. As long as I can see what's on now and next, and the quality is at least SD, then it's fine. I just want live Sky channels.

I don't live in a cable area :( so that isn't an option. Because of what was said about IPTV, and the quality of it, I never bothered to even try it. Paying for a month and trying it out isn't too bad, it's paying for a new box that's shit. Also, a motorised dish isn't an option. I live in a flat and just get a single feed from a communal satellite dish.

I would like IPTV + Freesat and the remaining Sky channels on one box, like the Zgemma H2S, but doesn't IPTV run horrible on that box, or is it OK? The MAG box looks good, but then it means switching between that and the Openbox. That's fine, just a bit of a pain in the arse. I don't really care too much about Sky Sports, but still watch them rarely. That's something that a lot of people say that IPTV struggles with, live football because of the frames or something. But again, because I rarely watch Sky Sports, that wouldn't be an issue.

So how is IPTV then, and how much does it typically cost? Is it worth bothering to spend money on it, or should I just stay with Sky, or even just start using the Openbox again, with the remaining Sky channels? Thanks for your help.
Tbh the h2s does handle iptv quite well its a case of finding a decent supplier who knows what there on about (hard to come across) with all the resellers about iptv has improved but everyone has different opinions some say it's best thing since slice bread and some say it's worser than soaps lol have you thought about ringing sky and seeing what deals they can offer you as an option you could take a look @steptoe mentioned but then @moshibeth has a point aswell

Not an expert on IPTV but it will be/should be less than what you are paying Sky. The H2s is an old box now, a lot of people appear to like the Formuler boxes which may be a better option for you if you decide to go down the freesat/iptv router

How long do you think it would take to find a decent IPTV provider? And would I be able to get a test line like with cardsharing, or will I have to pay for a month? It is quite expensive and a bit of a pain in the arse, is it even worth doing? I paid £35.00 for my Openbox, and £35.00 for a year on cardsharing, so £70.00. Doesn't a year alone on IPTV cost about £70.00 for a decent provider? And then obviously the cost of a box on top of that. Really thinking about ditching Sky when the contract's up, but I'm not sure now. I don't mind paying £100.00+ if I get a quality service out of it.

Honestly, for normal live TV (ITV, Sky 1, Comedy Central, MTV, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, etc), what's IPTV like?

How long do you think it would take to find a decent IPTV provider? And would I be able to get a test line like with cardsharing, or will I have to pay for a month? It is quite expensive and a bit of a pain in the arse, is it even worth doing? I paid £35.00 for my Openbox, and £35.00 for a year on cardsharing, so £70.00. Doesn't a year alone on IPTV cost about £70.00 for a decent provider? And then obviously the cost of a box on top of that. Really thinking about ditching Sky when the contract's up, but I'm not sure now. I don't mind paying £100.00+ if I get a quality service out of it.

Honestly, for normal live TV (ITV, Sky 1, Comedy Central, MTV, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, etc), what's IPTV like?
which openbox model is it

Iptv is OK but will never be same as card sharing days it's about having a decent box I use h2s and finding a decent supplier people say the expensive you pay the better the service you can get tests to try and find a decent supplier it's just like having sky just with HD channels and more to choose from

which openbox model is it
Openbox V8S, I know it supports IPTV, but apparently you have to update it every few days or something, and it crashes a lot on IPTV from what I've heard? And I don't think you can see what's on now and next. I wasn't arsed about updating the channel list, because that was like every 6 weeks or something.

Iptv is OK but will never be same as card sharing days it's about having a decent box I use h2s and finding a decent supplier people say the expensive you pay the better the service you can get tests to try and find a decent supplier it's just like having sky just with HD channels and more to choose from
HD would be nice, but once you get too many people on the same server as you, then it just looks shitter than SD on cardsharing. Or is there really providers out there that can give you HD streaming?

Last edited by a moderator:
HD would be nice, but once you get too many people on the same server as you, then it just looks shitter than SD on cardsharing. Or is there really providers out there that can give you HD streaming?
To me it's hard to say I don't bother with hd as I don't see the difference tbh but I have seen the HD streams can look like sd versions Iptv still in the early stages there is room for improvement but only time will tell

To me it's hard to say I don't bother with hd as I don't see the difference tbh but I have seen the HD streams can look like sd versions Iptv still in the early stages there is room for improvement but only time will tell
Surely though the only thing the providers can do is pay for more bandwidth/server space? But then wouldn't that mean increased prices for customers, or just an increase in customers to cover the cost, and then the problem would just start over again.

Surely though the only thing the providers can do is pay for more bandwidth/server space? But then wouldn't that mean increased prices for customers, or just an increase in customers to cover the cost, and then the problem would just start over again.
Tar rule mate if you are thinking about Iptv then I would get plenty if tests from providers and if you can get one at a weekend when epl is on then you will find if it gets blocked or not due to high court ruling and pay for a month at a time if if it doesn't suit you try a different provider

£70 isnt even 1 months proper sub
if you want to go IPTV , then I'd budget around 150-200 for a new box and sub
no point having a good provider on an old slow box,

Last edited by a moderator:
Really impressed with my Zgemma i55. Runs IPTV perfectly. Don’t miss Sky at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back