Novice With Severe EPG Issues - Please Kindly Help!

Bazzy

Receiver: Vu+ Solo 2 with Internal 2TB HDD & 32GB USB Drive at rear

Image: OpenATV 5.1

Skin: "Slyk1" by 'kiddac'

Hi All,

Firstly, please be aware that I am an extreme novice that has very little technical awareness & zero computing/programming skills etc.

I have always had problems relating to the EPG whereby the EPG grid usually never gets populated (sometimes it does get very sparsely populated in certain sections). I had originally sought help/advice on the threads here:

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84606-slyk-1-hd-sly-skin-version-3-now-available-24.html
see posts: #467 & #468

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84606-slyk-1-hd-sly-skin-version-3-now-available-25.html
see post : #481

As I do not wish to detract the thread there anymore & as requested, I would like to sincerely seek help/guidance here on how to resolve this as I am getting nowhere & becoming really frustrated as there are so many settings etc & I am totally unfamiliar with what they all do & mean for the main part. In order to help describe the issue better than I can possibly explain, I have taken a number of screen-shots below (apologies for posting so many!) to highlight what my EPG looks like AND all the various current settings under “EPG” in the “Menu” section which I hope will provide useful info. The creator of the skin (kiddac) had told me this issue was due to wrong/incorrect settings in the EPG menu somewhere?

I really would be extremely grateful if anyone can be kind enough to see where my settings might possibly be wrong and/or need adjusting so that I do not get this blank/unpopulated EPG anymore - not only am I a novice but I'm also pretty darn thick so please kindly provide idiot-proof, step by step instructions on what I must do to rectify things!

I really wish to ensure that once all the settings are correct, the EPG will load properly, will update itself as may need be without any manual inputs on my part in future & that it does not have any blank sections again like I am currently having.

Someone please kindly help as I am at the end of my tether & am shooting in the dark hoping to hit something! If I have omitted to post any relevant screens or need to post others, please let me know which ones & I will do so!

Many Kind Thanks,
Bazzy

EPG Display:
IMG_1570.JPG

CrossEPG Setup:
IMG_1571.JPG

CrossEPG Info:
IMG_1573.JPG

About CrossEPG:
IMG_1588.JPG

Multi EPG Settings:
IMG_1574.JPG

Single EPG Settings:
IMG_1575.JPG

InfobarEPG Settings:
IMG_1576.JPG

Graphical InfobarEPG settings:
IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG

GraphicalEPG settings:
IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1580.JPG

Settings / EPG settings:
IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG

might not help but i had similar probs and ran a manual rytek uk scan yesterday in xmltv importer settings by pressing yellow , took a while it scnned over a 100,000 parts, but it fully populated my EPG.

Your second image shows you are not set for automatic updates which means at some point your EPG will run out.

Set "Scheduled Download" to yes and then set it up for daily and at a set time. I think the default is 04:35 or something.

Then, as Ontap says, do a manual scan for today. After that scan, your box should then go and get it each day on its own.

As Wooshman says about settings your box for auto-updates but also don't forget to leave your box in standby and NOT turned off at the mains otherwise it wont update during the night. I set my EPG update for 0400 so its ready for when I use my satbox in the morning.

Last edited:
might not help but i had similar probs and ran a manual rytek uk scan yesterday in xmltv importer settings by pressing yellow , took a while it scnned over a 100,000 parts, but it fully populated my EPG.

Your second image shows you are not set for automatic updates which means at some point your EPG will run out.

Set "Scheduled Download" to yes and then set it up for daily and at a set time. I think the default is 04:35 or something.

Then, as Ontap says, do a manual scan for today. After that scan, your box should then go and get it each day on its own.

Hi,

Thank you kindly for replying - much appreciated! I have now adjusted things on the second image with "Scheduled Download" set at "Once A Day" at "04:00hrs" as that was the default time (other option was "Every Hour - Standby Mode Only") - is this OK?

Can you kindly explain how one does this manual rytek uk scan as I have never done any such thing before & do not wish to mess anything up - someone went to great lengths to help set things up for me!

When I select XMLTV Providers in CrossEPG, there are a number of (38) options referring to various countries - do I have to select each one & then press the Yellow button for each one to download individually or can they all be done at the same time somehow to save time? I just need to ensure I follow the exact & correct process!

Just to let you know (apologies for not mentioning this earlier) my Vu+ Solo 2 has two feeds - Tuner A is connected to a Fixed Dish to 28.2ºE & Tuner B is connected to a 1.1m Motorised Dish that I recently had done so I could learn & explore all about the Satellite World so will the EPG also work for all the channels on all the other Satellites as well?

Many Thanks!
Bazzy!

Daily is fine. Just leave your box in standby overnight and it will update (try)

For me personally, I have no ticks in XMLTV providers and no ticks in MHW2 providers. I then do a manual "Download Now" and it works.

As a side note I use an older version of CrossEPG as I have a Zgemma H2S but those settings work for me.

As Wooshman says about settings your box for auto-updates but also don't forget to leave your box in standby and turned off at the mains otherwise it wont update during the night. I set my EPG update for 0400 so its ready for when I use my satbox in the morning.

Hi,

Sorry to be thick but before 04:00am, do I have to ensure that the box is set to Stand-By AND then go & turn it off at the mains (back rocker switch) as well? I ask, as I normally just switch the set to standby via the remote control.

Also, say one is watching TV at 04:00hrs & further or throughout the night etc which means the box is active - does this mean that the updates will not then take place & this will create blank fields the next day? I ask as I look after my elderly disabled mother during the night till about 6:00am so the box is usually on!

Would I be better off having the settings so that it updates "Every Hour in Standby Mode Only" then?

Many Thanks!
Bazzy!

As Wooshman says about settings your box for auto-updates but also don't forget to leave your box in standby and turned off at the mains otherwise it wont update during the night. I set my EPG update for 0400 so its ready for when I use my satbox in the morning.
correct me if I,m wrong , but "stand by " means box switched off via remote and " NOT TURNED OFF " at mains surely ?

---------- Post Merged at 11:36 AM ----------

if downloading with nothing highlighted as wooshman posted doesn't work scroll down rytek list and pick the source applicable to yourself , mine works with rytek uk ticked.

Leave box turned on at the mains and put in standby, I personally don't like rytec as they are always missing entries and have incorrect entries. Go into crossepg open providers and tick sky uk save and download and it will fill up sky epg.

Daily is fine. Just leave your box in standby overnight and it will update (try)

For me personally, I have no ticks in XMLTV providers and no ticks in MHW2 providers. I then do a manual "Download Now" and it works.

As a side note I use an older version of CrossEPG as I have a Zgemma H2S but those settings work for me.

Hi,

I might very well be missing something on my skin but there seems no way that one can simply leave all the selections "unticked" & do a manual scan as pressing the Yellow download button starts a download of the selection highlighted. The only way I *think* to download all of them is to tick them one by one & then press the Yellow button do you think or is there another way?

Also, my menu does not have anything saying "MHW2 Providers" - again, so you can see exactly what I have, I have attached some screen-shots below - which of these must I address given that I have two feeds to my box - one fixed & the other motorised?

CrossEPG XLMTV Providers:
IMG_1589.jpg IMG_1590.jpg IMG_1592.jpg

CrossEPG OpenTV Providers:
IMG_1595.jpg

CrossEPG XEPGDB Providers:
IMG_1593.jpg

CrossEPG Scripts Providers:
IMG_1594.jpg

There are also a bunch of other options - do I need to address any of them - see below:

IMG_1598.jpg IMG_1599.jpg

Leave box turned on at the mains and put in standby, I personally don't like rytec as they are always missing entries and have incorrect entries. Go into crossepg open providers and tick sky uk save and download and it will fill up sky epg.

Hi,

Thank you for this however, I just checked where you asked & "Sky UK OpenTV" was already ticked - if you have a look on the OpenTV Providers screen-shot posted above, hopefully you will be able to confirm this - does this mean something is conflicting/going haywire somehow?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy.

You are running the latest version which is different then to the one I run which means I can't help much more and will need a CrossEPG 0.8.1 user to help you more.

With regards to being able to untick stuff, I also wonder if that has changed in the versions as I just press my OK button. Sorry I can't help more.

You are running the latest version which is different then to the one I run which means I can't help much more and will need a CrossEPG 0.8.1 user to help you more.

With regards to being able to untick stuff, I also wonder if that has changed in the versions as I just press my OK button. Sorry I can't help more.

Hi wooshman,

Thank you kindly for all your input so far anyway - I now know that the EPG has to be updated daily so have learned something! On a general basis then, so I do not miss out on any updates due to my almost all night viewing, would it be better to select the hourly scheduled download updates that are only done via Stand-By mode?

Also, as it might seem I am unable to do an "all in one" manual update (if correct) to get things working properly, should I go into XMLTV Providers, select & tick each option & then do a download do you feel? What about the the other Providers - should I also tick each option on all of them & also then download them all as well?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy!

would it be better to select the hourly scheduled download updates that are only done via Stand-By mode?
From my understanding, this option will only do an update if the box is in standby when it's hour comes up. If you are watching TV it won't happen. To be honest it is very rare that a program will change in 24 hours unless like the most recent Bowie dying changed a couple of station lineups. I think the daily is enough, but you can always do a manual scan at the drop of a hat anyway if you want to make sure it is up to date.

As for the ticking each option I really wouldn't like to say being I don't want to make things worse for you by giving you bad advice by not being able to test it myself. Even though you are using the next version to mine it is very different and if I install it on my box it just won't work.

Last edited:
Could be a problem with using crossepg with open atv I use open vix myself as I prefer it. You could try xmltv importer you may have better luck, looking at your crossepg info it hasn't updated properly. I know there was an issue with open atv on the zgemma where it wouldn't work with twin tuners I think this may be the same issue. If you want to stick with open atv I would try xmltv importer as crossepg takes an age to update with rytec.

Could be a problem with using crossepg with open atv I use open vix myself as I prefer it. You could try xmltv importer you may have better luck, looking at your crossepg info it hasn't updated properly. I know there was an issue with open atv on the zgemma where it wouldn't work with twin tuners I think this may be the same issue. If you want to stick with open atv I would try xmltv importer as crossepg takes an age to update with rytec.

Hi gibbletts,

Thank you kindly for your very valuable input - it does sound like there might be issues occurring way above my understanding! TBH, I have no idea of what CrossEPG, XMLTV etc really are & what they do as well as how they differ! All I know is that they somehow are related to the EPG or making it work so as to which ones is better or is more preferable in certain situations!

How do I update CrossEPG properly & do I need to "disengage" any other settings?

In view of what you say, would you be so terribly kind & let me know what to do on a step by step basis with XMLTV Importer so I can complete to process properly? Are the screen-shots I have posted enough in terms of information needed?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy!

i never use xmltv only cross epg-configure- ENABLE CSV IMPORT-YES-download at 04.00-ok---open tv providers--28.2 with green tick .
i presume you have location for epg as usb or hdd.

He already has it ticked and it's not updating properly as I said it seems like the same problem that was on the zgemma had using open atv which is why I think he should think about switching to vix

think i had issues once and i had to untick it go back to providers and update them went back to 28.2 green tick download worked.

Hi All,

Once again, thanks for all the replies & comments! I originally did have Openvix on the box but had so many problems & just not get it to work properly. As I was & stall am a complete novice on the scene, I was given really great help by someone who helped me set the box up with OpenATV 5.1 which has been far more stable (for me anyway!) compared to all the problems I had with OpenVix.

As I do not want to mess anything up & potentially have all the previous issues again, I would much rather just stick with OpenATV for the foreseeable future - at least till I have some basic learning & understanding of this E2 system! Once things go wrong, I am in no mans land & completely lost!

I do not know which image is best or what the differences/advantages are between them - at this stage, I just wish to have something that works!

I assume that many others are using OpenATV 5.1 & this CrossEPG so are there many reports of issues like the one I am having? The box was set to do an update this morning which I assume it did but the EPG still has many blank fields/sections.

If I may ask again, how should I update CrossEPG properly as it has been suggested that mine had not done so & also, as I do not know how to do a full manual download, should I go into each Provider, tick them all & then press download or something else?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy!

PS: I found the following extensions under Plugins for XLMTV called a) xmltvimport (1.0+git99) & b) xmltvimport-rytec (20150407-r0) both of which I downloaded as I assumed that was what giblets meant?

Also, in my Plugins, there is something called "CrossEPG Downloader" & "CrossEPG Force Reload" - might these be of any help?

Last edited:
Back