Octagon SF8

bph

Hi, just ordered Octagon SF8 and I need help setting it up. I haven't clue what to download or where to go, what image, plugins etc. Any help appreciated.

Goof stuff, is that just it ? Will this set me up to get me started, I did a scan of channels last night and it only had numbers, no channel names. Will this Vix image update the channel list or is that a separate download ? Sorry for all the questions.

first thing
1. flash latest vix image onto your box
2. download suitable softcam
3. download auto boquets
4. download rats picon updater
5. format usb stick
6 create mount point on usb to media/usb

points 5 and 6 can should be done on your sat box.

points 3 and 4 should be installed in your TMP folder using a program like filezila to ftp thje files.

point 2 should also be installed to the TMP folder note:points 2,3 and 4 should be done one ata time.

then to install each seperate file on to your box goto menu/vix/install local extention then press install button.
you will need to start your cam do this by Menu/Setup/Softcam / CI/Softcam Manager and in there if you have done everything correctly you should see CCcam 2.2.1 then press the green button to start cam.

when you get your line put this in var/etc and just overwrite the one that is there.

i would start off by installing autoboquets maker this will scan for youe channels in 90 seconds. this will be found in the plugins once installed

do all of the above at get them installed and come back and i will tell you how to install 7 day epg

Thanks for such a detailed response, sounds like a job for a Saturday. I've had a look to find the downloads , items 2 & 3 have a few different versions. Any website have these up to date ?

Hi, I cannot connect to my router with ftp. I've tried filezilla & winscp. Can I install all these files with USB key ?

you dont connect to your router. you type in your vu solos IP adress snd password so you can transfer files from pc to your sat box

you dont connect to your router. you type in your vu solos IP adress snd password so you can transfer files from pc to your sat box
Ah, thanks. Good stuff, you must have some patience. I've an octagon, is there a default password or do I've to go through menu to find it ? Another silly question I think !

I'm all sorted eventually. What's next for me ? Did you mention something about setting up the 7 day epg ?

thats the wasy bit .
formatt a us b stick to fat32 then place onto your box
then goto mounts manager i think it is menu/vix
you will see your formatted usb stick i there then change it to media/usb
now go into menu/system/epg/settings and change the direoctory to media usb
then menu/system/epg/providers and clock on open t.v providers and select 28.2e and save
then go go into plugins and select cross epg downloader
job done.
other plugins you ,may want to consider ondemand t.v

thats the wasy bit .
formatt a us b stick to fat32 then place onto your box
then goto mounts manager i think it is menu/vix
you will see your formatted usb stick i there then change it to media/usb
now go into menu/system/epg/settings and change the direoctory to media usb
then menu/system/epg/providers and clock on open t.v providers and select 28.2e and save
then go go into plugins and select cross epg downloader
job done.
other plugins you ,may want to consider ondemand t.v

Feel free to suggest plugins, as I said I'm new to this so all suggestions welcome. I'll take a look at ondemand t.v. at the weekend. If you have any more in mind send them on and I'll take a look. Thanks.

you can also have the same as sky go set up.

you will need webif installed as a plugin
forward ports 80 and 8001 on router
set up a dydns account costs about 8.00 per year.

this is a great because when we went on holiday we had sky t.v just connected my tablet to the t.v with a HDMI lead. used 3g dongle for internet connection

you can also have the same as sky go set up.

you will need webif installed as a plugin
forward ports 80 and 8001 on router
set up a dydns account costs about 8.00 per year.

this is a great because when we went on holiday we had sky t.v just connected my tablet to the t.v with a HDMI lead. used 3g dongle for internet connection

That sounds like the job ! I'll get the 7 day epg working first and I'll definitely get going on that next. I'm sure I'll get stuck on something along the line. Thanks again for the information.

Hi, problem. Tried to Google but not muchcame up. Formatted USB to fat 32. Went to menu and it didn't let me change to media /USB. I think it was internal flash. Never changed at all. Use different USB ?

you must create a mount point first

menu/setup/vix/mountmanager

make sure you have your usb formatted to fat32
connect it to the box
click the above menu
now you should see your device
click on it or select create mount point
now move the right arrow on your control till you see the path media/usb
then click save and let your box rebbot then go back into mounts manager to make sure it has created the mount point all done. then just set up epg

you must create a mount point first

menu/setup/vix/mountmanager

make sure you have your usb formatted to fat32
connect it to the box
click the above menu
now you should see your device
click on it or select create mount point
now move the right arrow on your control till you see the path media/usb
then click save and let your box rebbot then go back into mounts manager to make sure it has created the mount point all done. then just set up epg

Hi. All set up thanks for all the help. If I want to connect an external hard drive to record would the external hard drive also work with the 7 day epg ?

yes, you can however, if you are thinking of using picons this would not be a good idea. as evrey time you change channel the hardrive will spin.

Last edited:
Back