OIL

wullboy

TK Veteran
Guys, whats your opinion on motor oil, there is so many types out there that it makes you wonder whats what, Im looking to do an oil change, in my ford service manual it stipulates every 2 years for its service, but i'm going to change just the oil every year, Now its a 5w-30w spec for my vehicle, so, when looking through the FULLY SYNTHETIC types. i'm seeing a £5 to £10 pound per 5lts differences when i compare the ford to say the GM recommended synthetic oils, Now they both state they are top graded 5w-30w oils [ as you would expect ] as its for the stop/start systems, so, why is there such a money difference when both are the top end range oils for high sophisticated motors that need the best thats out there..Is this just a case of our [ RECOMMENDED ] oil for our make of car only.. Im looking at the Triple QX range of oil for my ford, and its £25 for the ford one, and its £19 for the GM one...WHY...???...Where is the big differences coming form when they are both top end oils....I think is a con myself, but i'm not a mechanic...

I'm not a mechanic but I worked at a vauxhall service centre for a few years as a contractor.
They put rock oil in everything that came in for a service, customers would bring these expensive oils in when their cars were being serviced, they got rock oil.
I bought an oil filter and got one of them to change it for me on my VW, he put the expensive stuff in as they had about 40 different bottles of it stashed

I alwaysl use Castrol A5 5w- 3ow on my ford never had a problem and if you look around the super markets you can get it for a good price i just paid £24.00 for 4 litres and change it every year

We used to use Mobil oil but it was very expensive for the customer and now changed to Mannol which has gotten very popular now.
Change oil filter when changing oil.Some start/stop cars may list a different oil.

always use triple qx on neighbours trusty old mk1 focus 1.8 blacktop zetec and never had any problems with it and the car has clocked nearly 196k miles and is now 20 years old lol.
I think if i chucked some sunflower oil in from farmfoods it will just keep running and running until the body falls apart lol :ROFLMAO: but yeah as cacti has mentioned do the filter aswell to make sure all is running clean.

A good quality oil and the same make every 12 months for the past 30 years have always done me fine.never any problems

Got a good deal from Euro parts, 10 lts of triple qx for £38.. brill much better prices than some out there....

Back