old photos

Anyone got any experience of digitising old physical photos to pc in good quality?

Thanks in advance

I've digitised all my family photos using an Epson Perfection V39 Photo and Document Scanner. Produces good high quality results. I see its still for sale on Amazon,
but I bought it in 2015, and its been very reliable, scanning literally thousands of documents.

I used Photoshop to make colour adjustments / cropping & alignment etc, but there's many other free photo editors that will do a satisfactory job, like Gimp etc.

You can use Google Photscan which uses your phone camera as a scanner to get to a digital copy. This is free so I know there will be plenty of better alternatives out there but I used it the other week for a single photo and was happy with the result.

How many photos have you got. I got both a flat bed scanner and duplex (sheet feed) scanner.

For quality I use the flat scanner as the duplex I have is mostly for ducuments, as its not a specific photo scanner, but it is quick.

Personally I think if you got any more than 50 photos it is worth finding a used PHOTO quality duplex scanner and then selling it on for little or no loss. After all it aint likely you are going to be scanning hundreds of photos again in the future is it?

Just checked on Ebay and there is a company renting out a fast feed foto scanner for 90 quid for 3 days. Sounds like a lot but when you consider how long it would take to do one at a time or how much it would cost to get a company to do it for you this is a great price, especially as this maching is normall about 650 to buy.

Just be sure to have all your (nad everyone elses) photos ready for when it arrives

If you’re using a duplex scanner, just check the mechanism first. My brother duplex will feed the paper through like you do with an inkjet printer, so there’s a risk of damage to the photos. But having said that, it’s a document scanner rather than a photo scanner.

These scanners do tend to hold their value, as there hasn’t really been any new scanning technology over the last 20 years. I paid 200 for mine, it’s about 250ish now, so you should be able to eBay it once you’re done.

Back