OpenATV 6.4 network browser issue

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
I have two boxes, a VU Uno 4k and a Zgemma h52tc.

The VU has a 1tb hdd connected, the zgemma just a small usb stick for epg/timeshift etc. I then have the VU hdd mounted as a network drive on the zgemma so I can access any recordings from both boxes.

This has always worked until open ATV 6.4.

If I have ATV 6.4 on the zgemma and ATV 6.3 on the VU it works fine, network manager on the zgemma finds the VU, lets you mount the VU harddisk as network drive etc.

IF i put ATV 6.4 on the VU then things change. the zgemma network browser can no longer see the VU. I can switch to expert mode and enter the VU ip address and then I am then able to add the VU harddisk as a mount but it DOESN't mount, it is listed in the FSTAB file on the zgemma, it is also listed in the automounts.xml file but it just doesn't mount. I have tried setting the mount as NFS (no username/password asked for) and CIFS (with usernaame/password) and neither work.

I have also tried network browser on the VU and again that doesn't see the zgemma. Both boxes can see my laptop, my raspberry pi and printer but not each other. My computer can access both boxes via network in file explorer.

Has anyone had similar issue? if so how did you fix it? or does anyone know why boxes with ATV 6.4 can't be discoverred by other boxes?

one step further.

At the command prompt I tried mounting again but got

Code:
 mount -a
Couldn't chdir to /media/net/vuuno: No such file or directory
mount: mounting //192.168.0.4/Harddisk on /media/net/vuuno failed: No such file or directory

So I created the /media/net/vuuno folder manually and tried again and got

Code:
 mkdir /media/net/vuuno
root@zgemmah52tc:~# mount -a
mount error(122): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
mount: mounting //192.168.0.4/Harddisk on /media/net/vuuno failed: Operation not supported

the mount line in my fstab file was:
Code:
//192.168.0.4/Harddisk  /media/net/vuuno        cifs    user=root,password=PASSWORD,_netdev,rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0       0 0

I then tried the following:

Code:
mkdir /media/net/vuuno/

mount -t cifs -o username=root,password=PASSWORD //192.168.0.4/Harddisk /media/net/vuuno

On the command line and it mounted correctly.

So I thought try changing user to username and pass to password in the fstab file, rebooted box and no go, and it actually deleted the /media/net/vuuno folder.

so I recreated the /media/net/vuuno folder and ran mount -a again and got the same error as in my last post.

So I can mount it manually but it wont mount automatically for some reason.

EDIT: problem fixed - yet again ANOTHER ATV BUG.

my working fstab line now looks like

Code:
//192.168.0.4/Harddisk  /media/net/vuuno        cifs    user=root,password=PASSWORD,_netdev,rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0   0

It appears like the network manager puts the WRONG vers number, the orriginal was vers=1.0 which didnt work, change to vers=3.0 or take it out all together and it works.

Not sure why network browser doesn't detect the other box in the first case but at least can get it working

Last edited:
the mount line in my fstab file was:
Code:
//192.168.0.4/Harddisk  /media/net/vuuno        cifs    user=root,password=PASSWORD,_netdev,rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0       0 0

I then tried the following:

Code:
mkdir /media/net/vuuno/

mount -t cifs -o username=root,password=PASSWORD //192.168.0.4/Harddisk /media/net/vuuno

On the command line and it mounted correctly.

So I thought try changing user to username and pass to password in the fstab file, rebooted box and no go, and it actually deleted the /media/net/vuuno folder.

so I recreated the /media/net/vuuno folder and ran mount -a again and got the same error as in my last post.

So I can mount it manually but it wont mount automatically for some reason.

EDIT: problem fixed - yet again ANOTHER ATV BUG.

my working fstab line now looks like

Code:
//192.168.0.4/Harddisk  /media/net/vuuno        cifs    user=root,password=PASSWORD,_netdev,rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0   0

It appears like the network manager puts the WRONG vers number, the orriginal was vers=1.0 which didnt work, change to vers=3.0 or take it out all together and it works.

Not sure why network browser doesn't detect the other box in the first case but at least can get it working
I know this is a old post but just want to say thanks.
I had been messing around with this for ages and network mounts just wouldn't work but your method above was spot on

Back