Openbox V8s and V5s - No internet

Omsali

Hi Guys,

Ran into a recent problem on two boxes that I have got, V5s and the V8s - for the past 2-months, working as normal and no problems, reliable N line on both, connected to the internet via LAN in a CAT5 enabled setup (pre-wired in a flat) which connect to the router (BT).

2 Days ago both changed to FTA only, others scrambled, contact line supplier, all fine on his end (very reliable) - lights at the LAN port flashing with data received, did the usual reboots to the router/boxes, CCcam shows server flashing between offline/login, network apps on the v5s show no connection to youtube/youp*rn, the v8s has only youp*rn which shows no videos. DHCP on box remains on, tried alternate LAN cables with no success, connected the same connection to other devices which work, disabled the firewall just in case with no effect, hence, I am stumped :eyes::willy nilly:

It seems to point to no internet at the boxes, Could it just be bad luck that both have fried at the same time? Would anyone recommend trying anything else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Omsali

Try taking your box to a friends house and try it there, if it works atleast you know your line is OK and the box is OK too so your looking at something to do with your connection to the router or router itself or check a different line from another provider and see if that works, it it does then contact your line provider for advice.

Hi Benijofar,

Thanks for the reply, Yes the internet works for everything else, all the LAN devices work, I connected the same wire from the Openbox to a laptop which worked and then to a TV which was able to gain internet, plus all the ireless devices still work as normal, was thinking of possibly using a wireless usb to connect and see if that made any difference (but then wondered if the cost of that would be better invested in an alternate box).

---------- Post Merged at 11:19 PM ----------

HI Blackwidow, thanks for the reply, ill give that a try, I think I have old router lying around so will fish that out later and see if there is any difference. I guess it likely is the internet connection or router as both boxes have separate lines and are in different rooms. Just unusual that both went down at the same time.

I assume you have checked both boxes to make sure they are both lan active and not switched themselves to wifi ?
Had a rogue box that went thru a period of doing that !

Did check and they were both lan active, but I switched to wifi and then lan to ensure that this was still the case, just tried another router - but it was a fail as this router I realised I was using to extend my range on the wifi so i disable the DHCP, so it prob wouldn't have worked, i'll refigure it and try again.

Last edited:
That only leaves your internet provider as the culprit by the sound of it.
Had this with talk talk not long ago who swore it wasn't them but after a few calls and speaking to a manager tit suddenly came back to life.
Computer also worked in that case as well but not the tv box !

Damn those fools :guns:Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow - it does make sense as both boxes are down at the same time and the same LAN works everything else, i'll let you know how it gets along, thanks for all your help guys.

Just to give an update for anyone with a similar problem, plugged in the BT Youview box which also showed as having no internet connection, called BT who denied all ability to block a single device, in the end they sent an Engineer, I wasn't at home at the time so not sure exactly what he did, but hey presto, the BT box and both Openboxes are now working.

Back