Openbox V8s, how do you set up Wifi?

Easy. Just buy a Wifi dongle for around £5.00 plug into one of you USB port (preferable the back) and configure it as you would configure you network buy entering/searching your SSId and you Key. You will find more/additional information by searching the forum.

Hi it might help you get a connection if you first set your internet connection without any security, then try watching some British internet content.

If All Bellababy needs to do is set up wifi to the V8s with the security switched off there is no chance of getting the password or security wrong IPv4 - IPv6 etc. The V8s I played with was very touchy authorising the connection.

The web tv on the V8s loads quite fast & gives yo a idea of the internet speed, Clearing a scrambled channel for the first time depends a lot on the server working / having a valid line.

Thought I would share these few tips as I cant remember seeing them in the tuts.

I dont no about all that watching British content (new to me) i no people who tried wifi tho mate and its abit hit and miss sometimes can you not use homeplugs i have my house wired uo with them mate and dont have issues £29.99 tp/link starter set argos maybe cheaper online am just impatient.

As I'm at basic level and new to all of this, the idea of getting homeplugs sounds good to me and they will sort out the wifi.

With wifi you don't need a home internet connection, tethering a mobile phone / setting up a hotspot with a 4G connection is like having broadband.

With wifi you don't need a home internet connection, tethering a mobile phone / setting up a hotspot with a 4G connection is like having broadband.

I believe the point that was being made here is that WiFi is Touch and Go meaning its not very reliable specially if the box is located far from the router or access point thus Homeplugs was suggested. Homeplug is a good option but my favourite is the good old cable connected directly from the router ( if possible).

Could not agree more, all my router outputs are being used, Just trying to get across that if Bellababy is trying to set up wifi it can be done with a mobile phone hotspot, very handy if there is no home broadband or the router is far away from the receiver.

Last edited:
All very good ideas but all that is needed is a wifi dongle plugged into rear of box---go to network settings and locate the simple to use wifi set up/manager.which is self explanatory. Insert your login/password and away you go---if not satisfied with the reception then add a homeplug.
Reaper.

All very good ideas but all that is needed is a wifi dongle plugged into rear of box---go to network settings and locate the simple to use wifi set up/manager.which is self explanatory. Insert your login/password and away you go---if not satisfied with the reception then add a homeplug.
Reaper.

Almost exactly what I suggested from the very beginning.

May I suggest that anyone wishing to help please be to the point/accurate, clear and in simple English. many of us here are not IT/Network expert and do not understand Jargon. And please do search the forum before asking question as many of the questions have already been answered many times.

Apologies if I stepped over my remit.

This may be a little more expensive, but would certainly create a better connection than wifi.
Connect your router to a switch, and then connect switch to homeplugs.
Hard wired V8S and more ethernet ports for other equipment you may want to connect up.

Kieron

Do only certain or specific wifi dongles work with these boxes? I have a Netgear N150 but the Openbox said it could not detect that there was a dongle inserted. I tried two different one's with the same result.

I've ran a Skybox F5s and an Openbox V8 successfully using the wifi connection for over 2 years now with no problems. The signal hovers around 75%.

They can be picked up for a fiver online - Skybox/Openbox WIFI adapter ;)

Back