Openbox V8S latest firmware?

DJ-Maxx

I have been running a genuine OPENBOX V8S with firmware version
3511HD_07_12_2014_0923 for a few years now, but decided I would look
into updating the firmware because I knew there had been updates.

So today I have downloaded and updated the box with firmware version
3511HD_10_08_2015_06B7
This UPDATE has added the Network App: XMLTV EPG, or at least I
think it has.... Never noticed it there before. Not sure if anything else is new....

I have now just been into the 'UPGRADE BY NETWORK' menu on the box
and have been offered the following firmware update:

OPENBOX_V8S_3511HD_CMT

Does anyone know if this is newer or better than what I already have, as there
doesn't appear to be any version number or date associated with the file and
the CMT on the end means nothing to me.....?

Infact none of this firmware seems to come with any details of what is new and
what has been fixed etc. I find it quite strange that there is no log of changes,
additions etc. Is there a list anywhere?

Now I have found more firmware here:
http://openbox.cm/index.php?c=article&a=type&tid=29
and I'm wondering if I should be downloading the latest of these and
updating again, of if these firmware versions will work on my box at all.

All the checks I have done suggest this OPENBOX V8S is a genuine one,
but can I really be sure?

Where is the best place to get the very latest version that is available, and is there any benefit to updating this box any further?

Is there any better version of the firmware that I could use, and can I use clone firmware? Is clone firmware better?, more features etc?

The only reason I was looking at updates was because when I use WebTV, it sometimes crashes randomly when selecting a different stream. It just locks up and requires a reboot by power cycling, that is the only way to get out of the lock up.

Any advice / help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

You have the latest firmware, there's been no updates since 2015. Genuine firmware is from yojiatech.com. Clone firmware is from Openbox.cm.

And, as for your Webtv issues, that's what happens with these cheap boxes I'm afraid!

Hi go to eopenbox.co.uk Under the tools section there is a download which tells the difference between a genuine and clone openbox There is also a firmware download but your box has to be genuine

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot to both Bigdrinks and linesman66,

I suspected that I might have the latest firmware. I do find it strange that this WebTV crashing can't be fixed. I accept that the boxes are cheap and all in all, my two boxes have given me good service, as they have been switched on 24/7 for well over two years and never seem to crash when being used as a FTA receiver for digital satellite reception.

It would be interesting to know what causes the crashing of WebTV... Is it a hardware issue, or a software issue, is it heat related, or maybe just bad WebTV app? I have other devices here that cost less than the openbox v8s and they handle IPTV without issue, so surely its not cost related.

I can't accept that cheap would mean it won't work properly, as the problem must be caused by some hardware or software issue. It would be nice to know why they don't handle WebTV very well and if the problem could be cured. Perhaps there is no incentive for anyone to cure this with a firmware update? Has anyone actually pinpointed the fault or issue that leads to this random crashing?

Either way, I am still happy with the Openbox V8S boxes I have. As a 'Free To Air' digital satellite receiver, they are still a good cheap option and I use mine everyday with a steerable dish.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. If anyone else has anything further to add regarding the reason WebTV is a unstable on the V8S, I would love to hear your thoughts.

By the way, I don't seem to be able to access yojiatech.com from my connection using a pc and web browser..... it just says website not available??? Does anyone know where the openbox gets its own network EPG and firmware updates from direct to the box?

Thanks Again
Dave

Last edited:
Back