Openvpn slowing me right down

willwin01

Hi guys,

Quite the novice here but looking for help with this issue.

So I suppose the best thing to do is explain where I'm at.

So I bought a new router from eBay, a plusnet one with openwrt flashed to it. Set it up all fine, openvpn software also installed on there.

Bought a subscription for nordvpn and used the router manager tool to configure nord vpn with my router and the openvpn installed on it.

From within the router manager tool I can connect to various different servers around the world and UK without a problem, all seems great.

Until I check the speeds with a speed test.
I'm on fibre and without the vpn stuff running I get around 50mb

With the vpn running I'm lucky if I get more than 7mb.

I understand that it's not unusual to lose some speeds due to using nordvpn and openvpn which form all accounts should amount to a lose of maybe 35 percent. But with that in mind I would be ok with that. However, only getting 7mb...what's going on here?

I have tried to research this on the tinternet and all fingers seem to point to openvpn killing the speeds up to 30 percent, and giving ideas of how you can speed things up like choosing servers closest to you that have a light load blah blah all the standard stuff which is obvious, however that doesn't improve the situation.

I did stumble across something that said something like because openvpn is heavily used on the port number it's monitored and throttled from my ISP (This is possible I suppose) but how do you change this?

But more interesting to me is I read that there is an alternative to openvpn called Wiregaurd.
Apparently this is lighter in software bumf and not monitored as much and well...Better.
The problem I have is I don't know how to install it and configure it on my router? I've seen guides on the net but it might as well be written in and alien language. Can anyone walk my through it like a baby? Lol.

Thanks in advance

Could be a number of things to be honest. So my understanding is your router came with openwrt installed which lets you flash open VPN on your router then from there you have installed Nord. My guess is you are using all the procesing power on your router which is in turn slowing down your speeds. That is why most of us install the VPN on the device and let the devices processor deal with the VPN.

Could be a number of things to be honest. So my understanding is your router came with openwrt installed which lets you flash open VPN on your router then from there you have installed Nord. My guess is you are using all the procesing power on your router which is in turn slowing down your speeds. That is why most of us install the VPN on the device and let the devices processor deal with the VPN.
Well the router came preinstalled with the latest version of openwrt and openvpn was already download into it. All I had to do is buy my subscription for nordvpn and used the router manager to apply the configuration for me.

It would be handy to test if it is the processor of the router that is the problem, and I could do that if I was able to try an alternative to openvpn, like I said I believe Wiregaurd is an alternative burning don't know how to install it, and if the router tool would communicate with it?

Well the router came preinstalled with the latest version of openwrt and openvpn was already download into it. All I had to do is buy my subscription for nordvpn and used the router manager to apply the configuration for me.

It would be handy to test if it is the processor of the router that is the problem, and I could do that if I was able to try an alternative to openvpn, like I said I believe Wiregaurd is an alternative burning don't know how to install it, and if the router tool would communicate with it?
Home hub 5 flashed with openwrt using openvpn will only give a max speed of 10mbps
I had one myself tried a few vpn providers. Speed was the same 10mbps. Only other option would be to try wireguard nord calls it nordlynx. Never tired it myself. But uses less resources than openvpn

Isn't wireguard just a protocol like udp or openvpn.
I've been on surfshark for a long time now and not long ago on a normal update it said wireguard has been added which made things so much faster.

I have tried using various routers and never had much success, you are always better off installing onto the device as @mike123 says.

Home hub 5 flashed with openwrt using openvpn will only give a max speed of 10mbps
I had one myself tried a few vpn providers. Speed was the same 10mbps. Only other option would be to try wireguard nord calls it nordlynx. Never tired it myself. But uses less resources than openvpn
Oh right that's probably why I'm not getting more than 7mb. I would like to try Wiregaurd/nordlynx but I don't know how to install it and get it up and running. I do know it's available as an option though as I've seen information on the net. But it seems quite complcated for a novice like me and was hoping for someone who could help me do it to walk me though it lake a baby lol

Oh right that's probably why I'm not getting more than 7mb. I would like to try Wiregaurd/nordlynx but I don't know how to install it and get it up and running. I do know it's available as an option though as I've seen information on the net. But it seems quite complcated for a novice like me and was hoping for someone who could help me do it to walk me though it lake a baby lol
I think nord only allows its nordlynx via the nordvpn app only

Isn't wireguard just a protocol like udp or openvpn.
I've been on surfshark for a long time now and not long ago on a normal update it said wireguard has been added which made things so much faster.

I have tried using various routers and never had much success, you are always better off installing onto the device as @mike123 says.
Yes I would have liked to have used the device to intall on but the vpn in mainly going to be used on a smart TV and as far as I'm aware you can't run a vpn on a smart TV. This seemed like the only option so I went for it.
Yeah apparently Wiregaurd is supposed to be better than openvpn

Yes I would have liked to have used the device to intall on but the vpn in mainly going to be used on a smart TV and as far as I'm aware you can't run a vpn on a smart TV. This seemed like the only option so I went for it.
Yeah apparently Wiregaurd is supposed to be better than openvpn
Only tv's you can have vpn on is an android TV

My honest advice is get a firestick or android box its a nice idea to have IPTV on a smart tv. On the otherside when you have to slow down your whole network to achive this it is just not worth it.

Yeah mine's not android TV
had the same problem i was using a asus ac56u router ,treid lots of vpn providers ,and the best i got was 20 meg ok to watch iptv ,but could not understand why ,so with lots of advice settings on virmin hub ,and router ,i thought it must be the router ,so upgraded to a gaming router ac 2900 rt-ac86u and that proved my old router wasnt good enough ,speeds now up to 85-95 meg with vpn 100 without ,speeds can vary from diffrent times of the day ,and using diffrent speed test programs ,but i suggest upgrade your router .

I've Just bought this router! Ok It was only cheap but was hoping to have got around the geo blocking for IPTV on my smart TV. I would like to get some help on installing Wiregaurd befoe I upgrade the router though. Thanks.

I've Just bought this router! Ok It was only cheap but was hoping to have got around the geo blocking for IPTV on my smart TV. I would like to get some help on installing Wiregaurd befoe I upgrade the router though. Thanks.
i have only seen windscribe vpn offering wireguard config for router etc, nord say they have windguard but it's actually their take on it and can only be used via their app.

i have only seen windscribe vpn offering wireguard config for router etc, nord say they have windguard but it's actually their take on it and can only be used via their app.
I don't mine switching to windscibe if it works to get around geo blocking for IPTV. I'm only on a trial period on nordvpn anyway.
Ill still need help setting up Wiregaurd on my router though

Back