Paypal dispute - who's right?

Hi Kings,

I thought I'd share a recent experience to see what you make of it.

In short, I brought a mechanical HDD recently on the bay. It was listed as 'certified refurbished' condition. The seller said that the unit hadn't been tested by the seller himself. Private sale.

I purchased and the unit turned out to be DOA. There was no mention of it being faulty.

Seller won't refund so I've escalated it to Paypal. The outcome will be the outcome so I'm not speculating on that but on a matter of principle who do you think is right?

Cheers!

Buyer always gets the benefit of the doubt. But as the listing says
' seller refurbished' my money is on you.

PayPal are trash from experience.

But 99% of times they will favour the buyer whether they are right or not.

In this case you will get your money back.

As someone who used to sell a lot on ebay, both paypal and ebay normally go with the buyer, did you not raise a disupute via ebay rather than Paypal?

Slightly longer version of the story is that the seller originally offered a replacement unit. I waited very patiently for a month. Seller did naff all on that front and today is 1 month and 1 day!

I may be mistaken but I think Ebay only care within 30 days whereas Paypal is 6 months? Also I think there was something in the back of my mind (perhaps from @stuss 's thread lol) about Paypal usually siding with the buyer. I'm pretty confident Paypal will side with me but I was more interested what people thought from a mora standpoint, hence pointing that out in my OP.

Seller did say it was untested (by him) but the crucial thing was listing it as 'certified refurbished'. My genuine interpretation of that is that it should work and if not and the item proved to be faulty I would think a reasonable person would refund. If the seller had no intention of refunding if faulty he should have listed it as spares or repairs/faulty. His interpretation is that he put it was untested in the listing, therefore he doesn't need to refund, as it could have been faulty.

Saying the item is untested is not a description of it's condition in my opinion (just that he hasn't tested), particularly when's it's officially listed as 'certified refurbished'.

So I do understand where he's coming from but I think the mistake was his in listing it as 'certified refurbished'. I was interested to see if people thought the same me or the same as him, rather than which way Paypal will swing.

'Certified Refurbished' definitely gives the impression it's been tested and is in full working order
He did say it was untested in fairness. That's the conundrum - but that was in the description, not the condition it was listed as, which was 'certified refurbished'.

As above, that did make me aware there was no guarantee it was working but I would assume a reasonable person would refund if it turned to be faulty. Obviously an item cannot be 'certified refurbished' and 'faulty' at the same time, that's mutually exclusive.

He's been a bit of a dick by offering a replacement and not providing it a month later, essentially lying about that. I may have been willing to compromise on a part refund if he'd tried with that. As it happens I do expect to get the full refund.

For all I know he may well have known it was faulty and pulled a fast one. I don't actually think that's what's happened but fair point I feel.

Yet how many Ebayer's actually new of a
Ebay
'slush fund'
I think I made an mp3, of the conversation between ebay & myself. I did make a YouTube video of the buyer, as he was slagging Dji. Not myself

How to drop yourself in the mud, whilst drunk .

Last edited:
Yet how many Ebayer's actually new of a
Ebay
'slush fund'
I think I made an mp3, of the conversation between ebay & myself. I did make a YouTube video of the buyer, as he was slagging Dji. Not myself
Ebay really are bad as PayPal and don't protect sellers one little bit. If your a scammer /fraudster ebay and PayPal will nearly all the time side with you.

Had instance where sold new batteries last year new and unopened as had too many packs as it was.

Buyer opens a case on ebay takes a photo claiming there were alkaline batteries in a rechargeable pack lol. It was so obvious what they had done and what they were aiming to achieve.

Knew ebay or PayPal wouldn't help whatsoever so called her and called her out on the scam she was pulling. Said would report her to action fraud.

Surprise surprise an hour later case is closed and her phone completely disconnected :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Paypal are a joke. I think your safe as Paypal always favours the buyer.

I sold a Game on Ebay years back and the person signed for the Parcel then said the Parcel was already opened and there was nothing in it. So my question was why the f would you sign for a already opened Parcel. They got their money back and I contacted Royal Mail and said the Parcel was empty and they said well they signed for it lol

Paypal are a joke. I think your safe as Paypal always favours the buyer.

I sold a Game on Ebay years back and the person signed for the Parcel then said the Parcel was already opened and there was nothing in it. So my question was why the f would you sign for a already opened Parcel. They got their money back and I contacted Royal Mail and said the Parcel was empty and they said well they signed for it lol

Who ever wants to scam will do so sadly. Have had bad experiences numerous times on ebay and PayPal where I do think twice about selling my things on there just for sheer worry I will be screwed over.

PayPal 180 days case policy is a disgrace quite frankly which is basically saying to buyers you have 6 months in affect to get your money back lol.

You look at forums relating to PayPal all you see is negativity towards them and bad experiences from sellers in particular.

Who ever wants to scam will do so sadly. Have had bad experiences numerous times on ebay and PayPal where I do think twice about selling my things on there just for sheer worry I will be screwed over.

PayPal 180 days case policy is a disgrace quite frankly which is basically saying to buyers you have 6 months in affect to get your money back lol.

You look at forums relating to PayPal all you see is negativity towards them and bad experiences from sellers in particular.

I don't sell on Ebay personally but if did I'd definitely have a feedback rule like 10+ / 100% or something. Fraudsters will presumably be new accounts or ones with dicey feedback. I see a fair few auctions where people say they'll cancel bids and relist if a noob purchases.

I don't sell on Ebay personally but if did I'd definitely have a feedback rule like 10+ / 100% or something. Fraudsters will presumably be new accounts or ones with dicey feedback. I see a fair few auctions where people say they'll cancel bids and relist if a noob purchases.

Not necessarily mate.

Had few with good feedback and been on there for years scam me.

So could turn out to be anyone no matter length of time on the site and feedback level.

never had a problem with recovering paypal, rule of thumb: try work things out with seller then if no joy go straight to paypal & escalate, as long as you have emails that show you have tried to resolve & that you are not at fault Paypal always return payment. Paypal is great for the buyer but possibly not so great for a seller

never had a problem with recovering paypal, rule of thumb: try work things out with seller then if no joy go straight to paypal & escalate, as long as you have emails that show you have tried to resolve & that you are not at fault Paypal always return payment. Paypal is great for the buyer but possibly not so great for a seller

Agreed mate.

Being a seller you are almost certain to be shafted by PayPal in cases where you are genuinely not at fault.

Back