PC just wont work

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
My son got up this morning and turned on his pc and nothing! got a message saying files loading. Have tried reboot and safe mode but nothing.
Have no idea why
any ideas or help??

I have disconnected the external hard drive and internet and going to try again in a while to see if/what comes up on screen

Have now managed to get something up and windows says its going to repair,it started to load files and is currently doing a restore. said it could not repair, and switched itself off.
I have restarted it and it seems its back to normal. Have plugged internet usb back in but not the Eternal Hard drive.
seems very strange.

How can i find out what the problem may have been

Last edited:
Sometimes the BIOS is set to "Boot from other devices" or "Boot from USB device" if you have an external connected it can try to boot from that but of course it won't be able?

yes cant remember what it said this morning when i went it to try from boot, but where ever it went to nothing happened thats when i disconnected the external. Seems to be ok since i managed to get it to restore - but it happened in a funny way, took a couple of shorts vids - will put them up.
Have not connected the Xternal hard drive back as yet.

Added after 14 minutes:

[YOUTUBE]ZsLCW5fBhN4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]TuOnAGNIAs0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]J6AbdxP836Q[/YOUTUBE]

sorry vids a bit shakey taken on my iphone

Last edited:
Could be a possible virus Linny.
They can corrupt system files. You could run a full scan with malwarebytes and your antivirus in safe mode and after that use your windows 7 installation disc to see if it repairs any system files that may have been corrupted.
Just boot from the installation disc and when the files load up after you choose your language youll see an option to install or repair.
If nothing is wrong then it will report as no problems found and just restart and leave it be.
As Gman says though check your bios and put your hard drive as priority 1, if needs be you can always select the one time boot menu and select whichever option you like, usb, cd/dvd so on.

use your windows 7 installation disc
didnt come with a disk :(
have still not added the external hard drive back but all seems ok, not sure if he did a virus check - cant remember if its set to daily or weekly, but will do a mwb check as i think thats on his pc if not i got it on a usb drive

Had same problem on a few different pc's when even a usb webcam was stopping it from booting. BIOS setting was to boot from hard drive! Never solved it to be honest, just told them to plug in usb device after pc has booted!

Had same problem on a few different pc's when even a usb webcam was stopping it from booting. BIOS setting was to boot from hard drive! Never solved it to be honest, just told them to plug in usb device after pc has booted!

Yes, but some of the newer boards have two options in the BIOS, one to set boot drive priority & a second separate option which normally says something like "Boot from other devices - Yes or No?"

So even if you had your main HDD as first boot device & the second option set to "Yes" while having another USB device connected (such as an Ex HDD) it can try to boot from it depending on the order the devices get found on startup.

Linny should try her external when the machine is started, I'd say it's fine?

Last edited:
Cheers will check that out if I come across it again! They were oldish machines and they didn't want to waste my time after they were working again.

sorry guys how do i check the BIOS again and change it. What do you recommend it uses to boot up? The XHD is where everything should be backed up to. Hes not been on it all day - been xboxing instead lol!

sorry guys how do i check the BIOS again and change it. What do you recommend it uses to boot up? The XHD is where everything should be backed up to. Hes not been on it all day - been xboxing instead lol!

At startup there is normally a splash screen displaying an "F" key to use to enter settings or BIOS. (normally F1. F2 F12 or in some cases the DEL key).

does virus checks and maleware added external back done checks again and all seems fine no problems Have no idea what caused it, but well seems ok now. Lol can we blame the snow!!!

I'd say it could well have been the snow Linny. Have you checked the coolant levels in the PC lol lol lol

-

Back