PC Shutting Down

bella149

my pc keeps turning itself off
the power is in properly and every thing ok
but when it doing a disk check it says file system is fat 32 what does this mean
do i need to get my pc repaired or not :whistling:

Did you install anything new recently? Anything at all even updates or updates for drivers?

Is it overheating? Leave the side case cover off to allow more airflow If none of the above apply. While you're at it make sure all the fans are turning and dust free.

More detail will always get you a more productive response. i.e. you don't even mention which operating system you are using?

-

Fat32 is just your file system, NTFS (New Technologt Filing System) is the newer file system. Among other thing,s it allows you to make better use of your hard drive space, as it allows you to store more information on the same size drive\partition as a Fat32 same size filing system can.

NTFS is also a lot more security concious and capable. It has not however got anything to do with your computer shutting down.

Some initial straight forward things to help the shutting down problem to try are,

Run windows update, and any virus program that you may have installed.

As Gman says, overheating is a common\the most common problem for a PC shutting down. Buy a can of compressed air, take the normaly left hand side cover of your PC off (asssuming it is not a laptop), and blow all dust from motherboard, and especially CPU fan and cooling vents.

Again, as Gman stated, switch comp on while side cover is off and make sure fans are working.

Remove all sticks of memory, blow the slots out with compressed air and replace (computers hate dust bunnies).

Make sure you have all blank card slot covers REPLACED from any PCI cards that you may have removed (this allows air circulation to stay inside your system, cooling the motherboard\components and not escape from said gaps).

Check device manager and make sure there are no conflicts (especially with graphics). Device manager needs to be rosy in the garden with no Yellow warning signs etc.

Download the free program malwarebytes and run a scan.

Well as Gman has already said ALOT more info is needed for this to be answered.
When are you running the check disk?
During or after startup?
Is the computer shutting down during the chkdsk or are you running this test as a result of the computer shutting down?
If your running XP why is it installed to FAT32 partition and not NTFS, not that that matters really but as you can see from Jodav's post, its better :)
Are there any beeps on powering the pc on or loud clicking sounds coming from the hard disk/s on startup, let us know so we can help :)

Back