Windows Vista pc still very slow

PC still very slow after i wiped it and reinstalled xp,after i installed xp i let it do a windows up date 85 updates or so and an 80 year old granny would run faster,any ideas:bang head:

Would need more info paddy as in
what make is it
How old is the comp.
what cpu is it
how much ram is installed
what programmes you are currently running on it?
post back and i will see what i can do mate.

Would need more info paddy as in
what make is it
How old is the comp.
what cpu is it
how much ram is installed
what programmes you are currently running on it?
post back and i will see what i can do mate.

its a packerdbell pc
xp service pack 3
intel(r)celeron(tm)cpu
1300mhz
1.30ghz.128mb of ram
it an old pc
avira antyvirus
malwerebytes
superantyspywere
vlc media player

I have a Acer laptop with a 1.5Ghz Intel Celeron Processor with 256MB of ram, and it lags as h*ll. But now its stable, I find that malwarebytes is a little demanding in terms of resources on my laptop, but its a very useful program and i do recommend running it to check for malware every now and then. I would suggest a ram upgrade, 128mb of ram isnt sufficient enough.

Just a little insight to my laptop, may help you in your case aswell. I'm using ESET NOD32 antivirus, very light on the system, and thats the heaviest program that runs on startup :).

You can look at this from two different angles, if the programs you are running now, either on startup, or manual lanch once everything is loaded, is absolutely necessary, then you can consider a RAM upgrade. Or you will have to sacrifice the use of some program so your 128MB ram stick can cope with the demand.

Last edited:
No need to have both malwarebytes & super anti spyware on the pc paddy.
One of them will be enough. I have Super anti spyware on mine & find it grand.

think the problem lies in the amount of ram you have intsalled paddy, 128mb under normal circumstances is usually ok, though the recommended minimum is 256 mb.
I think the majority of your resources are going towards the 3 anti virus/malware programmes you have on there and my guess is that they are all starting up with windows.

do the following paddy:
go to start/run and type in "msconfig" and hit enter
click the "start up" tab in the pop up box and in there will be a list of programmes with checkboxes - theses are the ones that start at start up

post back which ones are ticked mate, cos i reckon you don`t need them all.

Back