Windows Vista pc wont shut down

davebuk

hi all i have a problem with my desktop i have installed my windows vista disc into a new h drive as the old one broke everything loaded to the new drive fine and windows updated but when i go to reboot my pc sits in shutting down mode for about 15 mins and then blue screen pops up and says it recoverd from a fatal error and i can just bootup normally there is nothing on the computer bar the vista program and avast free anti virus can anyone help please

normally a blue screen would result in a hardware or software conflict, or a updated driver, so either its the update, anti virus, or your new h drive??

and i never been a lover of vista

Last edited:
thanks but its not a virus because its a new install i think its a conflict but i cant find it ive updated everything i can i think?

Is there any particular reason why you are trying to install Vista, perhaps an upgrade to Windows 7 might solve the problem? Perhaps its a Vista bug?

ive had the pc for a while and vista was the o s when i brought it and i dont want to spend money on it because its for the kids to play on ( keeps them off my laptop )

For starters, why are you loading the OS to a "H" drive?

If it is a fresh install you have nothing to lose by formatting the HDD and creating a new "C" partition & installing Vista again.

If you have more than one internal drive or any external drives installed\connected? disconnect them while reformatting the main HDD prior to install. That will ensure your OS gets installed to "C"

-

Also on your next restart you could choose advanced options, the option where you press F2 or F6 or F8 or whichever function button will get you to the list of options for safe mode, last known good configuration and so on and select the option that says "disable automatic restart on system failure".
This will pause the screen on the bsod and give you a chance to see the error code.
I would imagine Gman is dead right but its something else for us to look at too :)
Is the new HDD showing up in your BIOS?

Back