Peugeot 308 1st Gear noise

Costas_

Hi everyone,

I google search led my here, where I found some useful threads so I hoping someone could help.
I recently bought a second hand 4 year old Peugeot 308, and noticed that sometimes there's a grinding noise coming from the front wheels. It always happens when the car is stopped and about to pull away in first gear - however it happens quite intermittently and I suspect more often when the car starts uphill/downhill or when at a traffic light about to turn left/right. When the car is on flat road chances of it happening are about 1% so it's really difficult to pinpoint what exactly might be causing it. I also don't feel any juddering on the clutch, I only hear the noise.
Any ideas on what the cause could be but most importantly, how could I troubleshoot it?

Many thanks

Ok if car is stopped and noise is there rules out road noise and wheel bearings.
Both wheels might indicate discs and pads worn out and need to be replaced as if pads have no lining left rotation of wheel starts the noise.
Looking in through the wheel you might see plenty of metal dust indicating brakes gone and dangerous.

The noise appears only when the car starts moving, and I think the noise comes from both wheels. I do see metal dust on the brakes but the car passed MOT at the beginning of the year and had very few miles since...

If you have access to a jack and know how to safely jack the front end of the car up i would do this and rotate each of the wheels and listen for any untoward noise etc.
Grab each of the tyres whilst off the ground at the 9oclock and 3 oclock position and with a rocking motion feel for any movement which might indicate a worn out wheel bearing.
It could also indicate a badly worn CV joint with the grinding you say you can hear etc.
A brake caliper could have come loose and is catching the brake disc etc.
If you feel the car could be dangerous to drive in anyway i would seriously take it to your nearest garage for immediate investigation just incase there is a serious fault especially to do with brakes etc.

Back