PIA and Firestick

Just thought I’d share some info regarding private internet access for those thinking of buying their service I was lead to believe that it was good to work with firestick but this seems to be in beta still.

I’ve had it for about 6 months with no dramas but recently found that a lot of the servers (best ones) do not connect when using the app.

My message to PIA:

Hi I’m getting wait 2 seconds between each connection then it disconnects on most locations I’m using the Amazon app on fire cube.

Can you help as running out of good locations.

PIA response:

I understand that you have an issue using our PIA VPN on that device.

Let me inform you that the device is not fully supported to use our PIA VPN. The development and testing of our application are not done with full, unmodified versions of varieties of that device. We have no way to guarantee that any modified or limited versions of devices (as are often found in streaming media devices, etc.) will run the app correctly. However, that does not mean that there is no chance of it working on that device – we simply cannot assist in its function.

This is the list of our fully supported devices. Here on this link below:

I still have some locations that connect but it may be the case that I have to purchase another VPN due to this.

So to recap, you have a VPN that only works on some locations but not all locations.
Pretty much par for the course with all vpn's.
You've had 6m trouble free usage and not had any problems.
No idea what you are expecting

Doesn’t fill you with much confidence if you have to contact technical support when their response is basically tough luck not our problem we have your money go figure it out yourself.

Pab sorry I don’t think I’ve explained the situation properly.

It’s not just that some locations are not available I know that this is the case sometimes with VPNs & you choose other areas.

In this case it seems that the app is not being developed (yes I’ve tried updating deleting and reinstalling), I will use a location for a few days/ weeks no problem then it has the connection time out message and disconnects now even after weeks these servers are still not connecting almost as if I’m blocked from them.

Hope this is a better explanation.

Cheers

Just thought I’d share some info regarding private internet access for those thinking of buying their service I was lead to believe that it was good to work with firestick but this seems to be in beta still.

I’ve had it for about 6 months with no dramas but recently found that a lot of the servers (best ones) do not connect when using the app.

My message to PIA:

Hi I’m getting wait 2 seconds between each connection then it disconnects on most locations I’m using the Amazon app on fire cube.

Can you help as running out of good locations.

PIA response:

I understand that you have an issue using our PIA VPN on that device.

Let me inform you that the device is not fully supported to use our PIA VPN. The development and testing of our application are not done with full, unmodified versions of varieties of that device. We have no way to guarantee that any modified or limited versions of devices (as are often found in streaming media devices, etc.) will run the app correctly. However, that does not mean that there is no chance of it working on that device – we simply cannot assist in its function.

This is the list of our fully supported devices. Here on this link below:

I still have some locations that connect but it may be the case that I have to purchase another VPN due to this.
They are a pretty basic vpn, I have one that works with a iptv service that needs it! But its pretty useless when it comes to clearing USA or Canada you would be better getting Express or Surfshark then you wouldn't have a problem with most locations

Just for future reference for other users it seems that it is best to use the APK route as they are not in control of the Amazon app, I will update the thread when I replace the app with the APK version.

Here’s the response from some of the questions I asked them:

1. Can you advise if you are the developer of the app on the Amazon marketplace?
  • While our application supports a variety of operating systems and devices such as Amazon FireStick, we can only provide support for users using an Amazon FireStick Generation 2 and above and Amazon FireTV. Developers for Amazon Store is on their proprietary which we do not have control or direct contact with any changes or implementation of our application in Amazon Appstore. And if you are unsure of the version of Firestick you are using, please refer to this article here.
    Users who wish to have our application installed on their FireStick can do so by downloading it directly onto their devices from within the Amazon App store. If you are unable to locate or are experiencing issues with installing our application with our Amazon store installer, you can additionally install our application by side-loading it onto your device, please refer to the following guided for detailed instructions; How to Install the PIA VPN App on an Amazon Firestick.
2. Will an APK be supported/ updated as per your instructions on your website?
  • If you are referring to the APK for our PIA Application for Android on our website here ( Best VPN for Android Smartphones | Get Your Free Trial | PIA ), yes you may download our APK for Android from the website and once an updated release/version of our PIA application for Android is available it gets updated as well.
  • APK installer from other stores such as Amazon will get updated however since we do not have control over this sources, our website would normally be the first to provide the latest release and others should come later if not a the same time as our website release.
3. If the service you provide has been running with no issues for 5-6 months are you stating that external sources may be stopping your service from running at full potential?
  • There are factors that can affect the performance if our PIA application in any device, such as device changes ( OS Updates/Upgrade, OS Restore, Discontinuation of support on specific OS, etc... ) like for example Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7, which our latest version will in result no longer work on such OS.
4. If the router option is installed can this be easily turned on/off to maximise full ISP speeds when required?
  • Once the VPN is active, you may normally just switch off the VPN settings in your router that you have setup PIA, that should normally switch you to your normal internet setup/connection but these option may vary depending on your router interface or model, the best source would be through your router support site or guides. Usually this switch is found from the same VPN setup or settings in the router GUI/website interface.

Please let us know if you need any help or contact us anytime if you have any questions or concerns, we are here for your 24 by 7!

Have a great day and take care!

Back