Please can people explain to me about transcoding and FBC DVB- 8 demodulators tuner on the new VU+ receivers

Atari2600

Hi VU+ users

My question isn’t about just the Solo receiver, it’s about the current range of VU+ receivers.

I would like to know how does the transcoding feature work ? and would I need a multisub to use this feature?

My understanding regarding the transcoding feature is it lets you connect to your box from an app from your phone or tablet and able to stream any channel you would like to watch ?
Wether you are away from home or in your bedroom, as long as you have access to WiF?
Would I be able to stream a channel “transcoding” from the box to a tablet or my phone if someone is all ready watching a channel at home?

Is the transcoding done via software or hardware on VU+ receivers ? As I have been told software transcoding isn’t very good and look for something that does it via hardware.

2) regarding the FBC DVB- 8 demodulators
I would like to understand how it works a bit more
Been briefly told what it does - 1 cable input and internally it can split the signal into a total of 8 (tuners) so I can watch 1 channel and record 7 other channels all at the same time !
Obviously I may need a multisub dependent on my supplier.

I have also been told that with this type of tuner I could stream to other box in the same house (same network) from the spare tuners.

Finally if I went for a receiver box that has satellite and also cable tuner build into it - how easy is it to switch from satellite to cable when you want to watch something and visa versa?

These 2 features I am very interested in would these features be dependent on what image I flash to the box ?

Thank you guys

Vu+ use hardware transcoding.
Changing between satellite and cable is seamless. If you use the custommix plugin it will combine cable channels into the satellite bouquet to replace channels that no longer clear on sky.

If you go with an FBC satellite tuner you will need a unicable LNB to get the full benefit from it.
It will just work in 'loop through' mode on a normal universal LNB.

Vu+ use hardware transcoding.
Changing between satellite and cable is seamless. If you use the custommix plugin it will combine cable channels into the satellite bouquet to replace channels that no longer clear on sky.

View attachment 39662

If you go with an FBC satellite tuner you will need a unicable LNB to get the full benefit from it.
It will just work in 'loop through' mode on a normal universal LNB.

Hi willo

That sounds good , only because I’m thinking of my dad who sometimes struggles even finding sub folders - entertainment - movies - sports etc some how
So last thing I want is something where he has to do a few clicks not only will he end up getting confused , he probably will click onto something completely different and end up either wiping something or crash the box!
Which by the way he has been known to do!!

I will want to be going the cable route mainly but for satellite it’s literarly so I can get rid of the spare satellite box my dad pulls out when the cables playing up or wants to watch a particular channel.

When you say no longer clear in sky do you mean basically channels that no longer are working / available on Sky ?

As for image and stuff what image are people using are they flashing the box with things such as WooshBuild infinity or staying with he standard image that it comes with ?

Transcoding excellent it’s hardware but now need to know on how it actually works

Will you be streaming to box to a mobile device over cellular network?

No: Don't bother yourself about transcoding.
Yes: Make sure you secure your box properly. A password is not sufficient. Best you use SSH keys/vpn.

Transcoding compresses the data being sent out to mobile devices. If you are streaming within your own home network, there is no need to transcode.

When you say no longer clear in sky do you mean basically channels that no longer are working / available on Sky ?

As for image and stuff what image are people using are they flashing the box with things such as WooshBuild infinity or staying with he standard image that it comes with ?

Any satellite channel with the word 'Sky' in it cannot be decrypted with a softcam.
You can use any image or build you like or set it up yourself.
You will learn more doing it yourself.

Will you be streaming to box to a mobile device over cellular network?

No: Don't bother yourself about transcoding.
Yes: Make sure you secure your box properly. A password is not sufficient. Best you use SSH keys/vpn.

Transcoding compresses the data being sent out to mobile devices. If you are streaming within your own home network, there is no need to transcode.

Hi pal,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to stream to my mobile or tablet if I could - ideally via WiFi or if I can do it by 4g then yeh fine.
It’s so just if I am out of the house and football is on and I do not want to miss the match , I could just connect to my box and able to watch -
I won’t be moody because I didn’t get to see the match lol.

Please elaborate on why secure the box properly SSH keys?? And why use VPN ?
Sorry I don’t really know much about transcoding this is why I’m trying to understand it !
And would I need a multisub to able to use the feature.

I won’t be transcoding within my own home,
I would stream it from one of the free tuners,
Yes I guess it would compress it, but for a phone or a small tablet it’s going to look good,
It’s more than watchable.

Any satellite channel with the word 'Sky' in it cannot be decrypted with a softcam.
You can use any image or build you like or set it up yourself.
You will learn more doing it yourself.

Ahh ok yes I understand that, to be honest the satellite tuner will only be used for the free view stuff - and free channel you get on satellite that you don’t get on cable.
Softcam will all be from cable *smiley face*

I wouldn’t mind doing it myself, but if it means tinkering with it every week or so or updating it etc then I might as well use a build of some sort
Personally I thought ipab was excellent
Simple and wasn’t loaded with full of crap!

To be honest at First I wasn’t even aware of build available for E2 I thought it was just a Kodi thing .

I knew I had to download skin and set everything up manually which by the way took forever !

Opening up your box to the interweb is dangerous. It becomes a gateway for people to access all devices on your home network. One of our coders opened his bx to allow someone else to test something. He forgot to secure it. Everything got wiped on the HDD.

Just adding a password is not adequate. There is a guide by Pembo on how to use SSH keys.

Opening up your box to the interweb is dangerous. It becomes a gateway for people to access all devices on your home network. One of our coders opened his bx to allow someone else to test something. He forgot to secure it. Everything got wiped on the HDD.

Just adding a password is not adequate. There is a guide by Pembo on how to use SSH keys.

Ahh ok I understand now,

Thanks will look into that if and when I decide if I want to go that way

Anyone know if I would need a multisub to use transcoding feature?

I’m surprised That only 2 people have actually commented on post considering their is quite a few VU+ users!

Back