Please help a Day 1 Idiot on all things satellite

Hi Guys

First of all apologies - I have had a scan for a thread like this and I'm sure there must be more than quite a few, but I can't find one. Most threads I read, even the "newbie" ones, seem to at least work on a basic understanding of the concept (which I don't.) I am so far behind this satellite stuff and have literally NO idea what I'm talking about, so please bear with an absolute ignoramus.

I have a few questions and hope this is the right place to ask them, so here goes:

What I have right now:

- I subscribe to Virgin (the XL package) and have a 150MB broadband connection. BT Sports is included but I don't subscribe to Sky Sports. I don't have a satellite dish. I guess I pay around £600 a year for this. I live in Glasgow, Scotland with a wife how love watching some soaps and two young kids who love to watch Disney XD and Cartoonito A LOT :)

What I want:

- To get rid of Virgin TIVO and replace it with a new box that has mostly all the channels (inc BT and Sky Sports and the kids cartoon channels), at a substantially lower cost. Streaming is fine and I can live with a little buffering. I don't mind paying for a higher quality device as it essentially could be the main family viewing device and I wouldn't want extended periods without access. HD would be good if humanely possible. Something which is relatively simple in upkeep and, dare I say it, kid friendly with a nice EPG and simple interface. It would be good to be able to record stuff too. I'm not techie but I can follow simple instructions (last techie thing I did was homebrewed my Kids Wii :P) It would be good to be able to watch one show whilst recording another.

The questions, if I may:

- Am I right in thinking that what I want is something like a Sky Box / Openbox etc. Is what I want (above) what these things do?

- If so what would be the best recommendation, and an alternative, and why?

- Where can I obtain said device, is there any links to reputable sellers?

- How much would I expect to pay initially and what would any additional costs be? Would there be yearly costs also?

- How easy are they to install? Is it just the case I need to hook it up to my router and TV and off we go?

- Do any of these boxes run wireless ie could I run one up in my bedroom where there is no wired internet connection?

- I think you can record programmes onto an external USB HDD, is that the case and what format would it be in. Is the quality good and and what would a typical 30 min programme take up space wise?

- Do the boxes have necessary ports to hook up to a decent TV sound system like my current Virgin TIVO box does?

- Is buying a box and running it in conjunction with my Virgin TiVo box a good idea, before deciding to get rid of Virgin?

- Am I missing any huge negatives that I haven't thought about or mentioned?

Again, sorry if this seems very basic but, for someone who doesn't know a thing about them it would be hugely helpful and much appreciated.

From my side, if I can get these answers and push on with a purchase, I will ensure this thread is updated every step of the way with how I progress and maybe this thread will be helpful to the next "Day 1 Idiot" that logs onto this site, like me :)

I hope I've not mentioned anything untoward and, if so, mods can delete. If you think and information is best shared via PM, then please do that.

Thanks again

BB

Last edited:
HI, that's a lot to answer n one go lol.

As for 600 per year for xl tv, 150mb bb and phoneline, I dont think thats bad, I pay 480 per year just for the 150mb bb with no TV.

What box you want/get depends on your budget, this box will replace your tivo http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-C-T-T2 plenty tuner configs, ou want t2/C as you have no dish, add an internal hard drive and flash openvix and it will be like setting up any openvix image and there are loads of guides on here, it will allow series link, watching and recording other channels at the same time.

You will need a server, you can post here then http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59334-recommend-good-cable-pay-server-request-only.html Cable still has the HD channels

You will also require a live Vermin feed, so maybe best to keep their broadband?

Hope that helps

P.S this box looks ok too http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...Cable-Freeview-HD-DVB-C-T-T2-Digital-Receiver

Last edited:
- Am I right in thinking that what I want is something like a Sky Box / Openbox etc. Is what I want (above) what these things do?

What you want is a twin/triple tuner cable box.

- If so what would be the best recommendation, and an alternative, and why?

There are plenty available depending on your budget. The more advanced ones pretty much do the same as the basic ones (apart from they are faster, look better and some extra features (sometimes)). I am not an expert with different boxes etc however I know the basic ones being sold are twin tuner named ZGemma H1. This will allow you to record 1 channel and watch another. I think these cost around £200 fully setup with a years sub so you will just plug n play. If you go down this route you will need an external hard drive/USB fitted for recording as opposed to internal.

I can personally recommend the VU+ Duo2 as it is what I run, however it does cost alot more. I see it as a worthy investment though - especially if using for main box. The reason I recommend this is because it is super fast, remote does not need to be directly pointed at box to work (like virgin box etc) and it houses an internal hard drive. It also looks good, however the VU+ Duo Solo2 runs almost the same specs so this could be an excellent alternative if wanting to save a little money.

Plenty of other people who know more about different boxes etc will be able to advise on which box to go for.

- Where can I obtain said device, is there any links to reputable sellers?

The boxes can be bought from WOS (World of Satellite) as all of the boxes from here are genuine and not clones. I don't think they sell ZGemmas. You would have to set the box up yourself however if doing this. If you would prefer to buy on fully setup then you will have to use a seller, I can recommend who I use if this is allowed via PM. However, I am not linked with them in anyway - I have had no issues with service etc and I personally recommend but at the end of the day, it is your choice.

- How much would I expect to pay initially and what would any additional costs be? Would there be yearly costs also?

I believe you can buy a zgemma fully setup ready for plug n play with a years subscription for around £200. However, you will need to also buy a separate external hard drive to record/timeshift.

- How easy are they to install? Is it just the case I need to hook it up to my router and TV and off we go?

If you buy one fully setup it is the case of plug in and use, correct. If you buy one and setup yourself there is a little messing about to do but it is not hard and there are plenty of guides on the forums with what to do.

- Do any of these boxes run wireless ie could I run one up in my bedroom where there is no wired internet connection?

Some boxes come with a wireless adapter fitted however I would always recommend having it hard wired. Plug Adapters are always a good option if wanting a box in bedroom.

- I think you can record programmes onto an external USB HDD, is that the case and what format would it be in. Is the quality good and and what would a typical 30 min programme take up space wise?

This is the same as recording on virgin mate, 30 minute program in HD is around 1.5GB I believe. 30 min programme SD is around 500mb I believe. If you go with a cable box then you get the same as full virgin channel wise and it is all live tv, no streaming. (Incl sports/movies/PPV/Adult (sometimes)/ESPN/Sentanta/MUTV etc). Also with cable, it is FULL HD.

- Do the boxes have necessary ports to hook up to a decent TV sound system like my current Virgin TIVO box does?

I cannot answer this without researching however I can pretty much guarantee the top end boxes will do, they are better then sky/virgin boxes generally.

- Is buying a box and running it in conjunction with my Virgin TiVo box a good idea, before deciding to get rid of Virgin?

I would not run in conjuction however you could just unplug Tivo and replace with new box and see if you like it. If you do, then hand your notice in. For this to run it will need the cables that your tivo box has, so unless you used a splitter you could not run them both.

- Am I missing any huge negatives that I haven't thought about or mentioned?

You will need to keep internet and I would advise keeping virgin so your cable line stays active and does not get disconnected. Factor in the price of this also as I believe this will be around £30 p/m just for 50mb (more then fast enough for tv, but not sure if you use for other things) so you may not have a huge saving if you are only spending 600 a year atm. Cable subs differ but they are around 80-150 per year I believe. On top of this will be the internet cost also.

Are you able to install a satellite dish if so it will make your life a lot easier which box to buy,you cant use most boxes without one as for skybox/openbox you need a dish.If you can fit a dish
you can go for a zgemma star H1 which has both cable and sat tuners price wise under £60 or a zgemma star s2 twin tuner with the same setup as sky+boxes price around £70.There is loads of help via forum to set both up.Once installed just need a good server for you paid channels and you can add a 250 GB hard drive for recording for around £25 if you cant add dish go for box in link above

How are you at keeping an enigma2 up to date? As the zgemma boxes are clones and will need patched firmware, which is readily available, also if you buy the H1 you will need a dish installed to use the twin tuner function unless you connect an antenna and use it for freeview? They are supported by OpenATV but vix is more noob friendly with everything covered on thechkings. If you buy a genuine box from WOS then the risk of "bricking" your box updating is much less. If you are going to have a dish installed then you would get a quad LNB and run a twin feed to the box, I run a VuSolo2 with a Sundtek USB tuner for cable to get the HD, with 2 sat tuners and an internal 500Gb HDD.
Wireless is not recommended, homeplugs are more reliable

How are you at keeping an enigma2 up to date? As the zgemma boxes are clones and will need patched firmware, which is readily available, also if you buy the H1 you will need a dish installed to use the twin tuner function unless you connect an antenna and use it for freeview? They are supported by OpenATV but vix is more noob friendly with everything covered on thechkings. If you buy a genuine box from WOS then the risk of "bricking" your box updating is much less. If you are going to have a dish installed then you would get a quad LNB and run a twin feed to the box, I run a VuSolo2 with a Sundtek USB tuner for cable to get the HD, with 2 sat tuners and an internal 500Gb HDD.
Wireless is not recommended, homeplugs are more reliable

Thanks for correcting my mistake - I did not realise you could not get the H1 as twin cable. I am with you on the fact you are much better buying a genuine as opposed to clone and that is even without the extra work needed/increased risk of bricking. If using the box for main room you may aswell invest at the start because if you don't - after a few moths of using you will want to upgrade anyway.

All depends on what you can afford,as for zgemma boxes being clones thats utter rubbish they are a genuine box supported by open atv and a few others the only patched firmware with
them is openvix.

---------- Post Merged at 05:14 PM ----------

You talk to the guys that do the jtag repairs on the cloud iboxes and they will tell you theres no trouble at all with the zgemma star range of boxes at all i have fitted over 200 since christmas and never heard of any body bricking a box.

Hi there. I'm new today and looking for the exact same thing you were. What did you go for in the end? I would really like something I could just plug in and go! Thanks

no box is plug and play unless you sub to sky Hd for your services.all other boxes cannot be sold with working firmware so diy needed.

Just a question. I have a ZGemma h1 do you need a sly dish if using vermin. I just have vermin bb with a splitter if I disconnect the dish will it stil work.

Satellite dish only needed for Sat side, virgin only needed for cable side¬¬

Thanks wheelo I just wondered as when i do a search for channels whilst searching the cable side no channels seem to be found then it starts searching the Sly channels and finds about 1153 plus radio channels. Are the cable channels included in the overall search but don't show because cable is a live stream if you know what I mean.

Back