Please help as I would like to get an additional box

happynet

Hi there, I am not very technical and was wondering if someone could help me please?

I have a skybox/open box in my front room and I have done for a couple of years. My sister got it for me and I pay a yearly subscription for it.
however, I would really like to get one for my little one's bedroom and I am unsure if it will work upstairs and I really don't want to waste any money. My broadband provider is virgin Media and I have a Sky satellite dish (from a previous Sky subscription). I have a ethernet cable (i think it is called) to connect my box to my TV downstairs and I would just really like to know what i need to do in order to get a box up and running for the upstairs bedroom? I also, do not know where to buy one from either lol, but I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you x

Get a cable box for main room (Eddison) is a good budget box as you have vm internet you will get HD channels back.
The server costs will be slightly more for the cable side.
Then move the openbox to sons bed thats presuming the room has a sat feed to it.

(thats what i would do)
In fact what i have done.

you can get a pair of homeplugs to connect a box upstairs to your router instead of running an Ethernet cable all the way through the house

The edision mini combo is wifi enabled and will do both cable and satellite,Good box for under a hundred pounds

you can get a pair of homeplugs to connect a box upstairs to your router instead of running an Ethernet cable all the way through the house

homeplugs work well if they are on the same ring network.
if they are not it will cause issues

Thankyou guys for your replies. I am still unsure as I don't know what a ring network etc is. If I purchase a v9 openbox from ebay, would I just be able to plug this in and get it working straight away? I am not sure how to do this upstairs and how you even connect it to the satellite dish :-/

power plugs use your 13amp plugs to send internet around house but wont work if top floor is on a different circuit/fuse/ring than lower floor

lnb on sat dish may need to be changed to a quad/4 outputs and 4 feeds or 2 twin cable feeds to any room.

cable box would need a 5-1000mhz splitter before hub and coaxial cable sent to room needed
box would also need an internet feed to box to open channels.

With wires coming from the dish.
As i said presuming you had sky wires to the room or it wont work.

Don't get a plug and play from eBay, chances are your line/gift will last about 6 weeks and then disappear.
Buy a box and set it up yourself, plenty of help in here to get you sorted

Back