Possible to run an F5 on wireless broadband?

dan602

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has managed to do this? If so, what equipment (F5 or other receiver?)/wireless client/routers are you using?

I'm looking to get rid of my landline and BT Infinity 2 broadband when my minimum term ends in November..which would save me the quite nice sum of £41.50 a month! Admittedly, Infinity is great but the novelty soon wore off..and I could easily live with a lower dl speed (10 to 20mb/s) but would still be stuck with having to have a land line. I don't want/need or use a land line telephone, any calls I make or receive are handled on my mobile...so....

So I've been testing how I'd survive without broadband by tethering to my Nexus 4 android phone using a Three sim on the One Plan (£15 a month) and it allows tethering/unlimited All You Can Eat Data.

And I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the speeds - the lowest download speeds I've got are about 4.5mb/s & 2mb/s upload, highest dl speed so far around 9mb/s! This will most likely get even better when Three upgrades from 3G (or as Three call it "3.9G") to 4G for free later in the year.. November I think I remember reading. Anyway, for general laptop/pc stuff this is fine.

But there is one piece of equipment I use that doesn't like my (hopefully soon to be) new, wireless, wifi world: Skybox F5!

Now I know, from reading many threads on here that the wifi options on the F5 range from rubbish to extremely rubbish! So I thought I'd try and utilise my own wifi hotspot wireless router thing, one of these: TP-Link TL-WR702N setting it up in client mode and using the lan port to connect via ethernet cable to the F5, me thinking that it might stand more of a chance of working better that way. It tries to work, but scrambles every minute or so....so I am wondering if there's anything else I can try?

Would a better receiver like the Vu+ be better, or a different wireless router....or....is the weakest link in the chain the fact of tethering, no matter how fast the dl speed is on my phone? Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

Sorry for long post :p didn't mean to write a novel!

This is my dilemma :) I'm essentially paying £41.50 to be able to have broadband....I may as well pay that to Rupert and sack BT instead lol

Edit: That was a joke, I won't ever pay Sly again.

I just really liked the idea of never having to pay for line rental for a phone I never use. Oh well...

Last edited:
Back