Post-traumatic stress disorder

The first thing we have to realise as men is - ITS OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY!!!
Another thing to realise is that alcohol is a depressant, particularly the following day.
Yet again, and it may sound trite, the old saying is actually true - a problem shared is a problem halved, at least, that is my experience of counselling .

I hope you can see your way to ease up on the drink, and more importantly, find your way to share with some qualified healthcare professionals. Emotions are hard to accept as "men", but we have to somehow realise that we all have them, and if we let them out, rather than keeping them in, it is so much more beneficial to our mental health.

Stay safe, and try your damndest to talk to someone.

In all my time on tk this is one of the best threads i have seen for pure honesty and we are a nice bunch of guys and girls on here apart from a few silly so and sos but they come and go,I have and do suffer big bouts of depression so really can understand what you go through,All the best moshi

ohhh, man, I've hit the drink lots, (so i wish you all the best matey) i guess i'm in that spectrum at the minute, where i'm like **** it! (hitting the bottle pretty bad) but still managing to keep a job down......no idea how... I need help i know, but can i be fucked to start talking about it all again. that's what's putting me off.....the whole ....well this is what happened......but i know deep down inside that's how therapy works.....but it's a ******* ****!

it's going to be 10 years in December and when i think about it I start to "well up" I'm scared.......:flushed:

I've collapsed in the street and been hospitalised several times. I tried all that talking therapy and it worked for a while, but eventually I would fall off the wagon again because that thirst for drink was always there, gnawing at me.

Eventually, I got in with CDAT (Community Drug and Alcohol Team) and told my key worker my story. He got me started on a medication called Baclofen. It takes a while to start working, but after a month or so I noticed I wasn't thinking about drink so much. That 'thirst' was starting to diminish. I've been on it for about a year now and I can honestly say I don't think about drink any more. I've read it has an 80% success rate for relapse, so long as you genuinely want to quit drinking. To me, it's been a miracle. :)

hey guys Thanks, it really makes a great deal to me, I've got a lot more from this thread than I did from contacting the Samaritans, no joke.... (that was a few year ago when I spoke with them.....) but honest this thread is a way for me to get my expressions etc. out.

Going to do the call tomorrow.....I know I have too!

I used to be drink free for nearly 2 years but slipped down the rabbit hole didn't i......

hey guys Thanks, it really makes a great deal to me, I've got a lot more from this thread than I did from contacting the Samaritans, no joke.... (that was a few year ago when I spoke with them.....) but honest this thread is a way for me to get my expressions etc. out.

Going to do the call tomorrow.....I know I have too!

I used to be drink free for nearly 2 years but slipped down the rabbit hole didn't i......
I have binges and can go flat out for 5 days then stay off it for 3 weeks but as wheelo mentioned last night,Drink is a big depressant the following day/days but its good to see you replying to this thread.One thing i have found which works for me is i have a pint of shandy a lot now at home and one can might last all night with ice and lemonade. (y)

Make the call brother can’t do any harm either way! I’m only pm away brother anytime...(y)

Yup, I'll do it tomorrow......thanks again matey...great help man...thanks

I have binges and can go flat out for 5 days then stay off it for 3 weeks but as wheelo mentioned last night,Drink is a big depressant the following day/days but its good to see you replying to this thread.One thing i have found which works for me is i have a pint of shandy a lot now at home and one can might last all night with ice and lemonade.

I guess i'll have to put the home-brew kit away after all.....lol

Yeah mate if it causes problems then knock on the head! I drink every couple weeks as girlfriend works one weekend on one off! So I have my young one, but done me a world of good to be honest!

I know its not the same thing but I have suffered from severe depression and serious anxiety for many years now. I don't like talking about it at all tbh as feel ashamed of how it affects me.

Alot of the days are tough and find it very difficult to get up every day.

Have taken all types of medication, speaking to shrinks etc but in my honest view I dont believe its helped but actually made me feel worse.

Can't talk to my family as I dont want to burden them and be selfish.

Not going to lie where things get really tough I just feel like just ending it for good. But thought of my family pulls me back every time.

When it comes to sufferers of mental health the government and local governments dont give a toss. I have had abuse from people I know who I tried to talk to about such issues and their words were to "man up"

Clearly there is a perception out there that those with mental health issues are less than human and deserve to be looked down upon. Absolutely disgusting. ALL sufferers of mental health issues deserve support and I am afraid to say just dont feel the support out there.

Sorry for the negativity talk.

I know its somewhat different to your issues mate, but I really hope you are getting through such issues and are coping better and finding peace.

God bless mate.

I know its not the same thing but I have suffered from severe depression and serious anxiety for many years now. I don't like talking about it at all tbh as feel ashamed of how it affects me.

Have taken all types of medication, speaking to shrinks etc but in my honest view I dont believe its helped but actually made me feel worse.

Not going to lie where things get really tough I just feel like just ending it for good. But thought of my family pulls me back every time.

When it comes to sufferers of mental health the government and local governments dont give a toss. I have had abuse from people I know who I tried to talk to about such issues and their words were to "man up"

Clearly there is a perception out there that those with mental health issues are less than human and deserve to be looked down upon. Absolutely disgusting. ALL sufferers of mental health issues deserve support and I am afraid to say just dont feel the support out there.

I know its somewhat different to your issues mate, but I really hope you are getting through such issues and are coping better and finding peace.

God bless mate.

Do as he says! ''Hold On''

God bless mate.
Places to share your thoughts and feelings like TK is always a good option as we are finding with our comments on this great thread (y) (y) started by strawdog,:LOL:(y) WELL DONE MATE

Last edited by a moderator:
It does help sharing if I'm being honest.

As talking about it in "real life" is just a stigma.

I have come to an acceptance of my issues tbh.

It's good to read how some who have suffered and do suffer from mental health issues are getting through it one step at a time.

Honestly believe mental health charities can really make a difference.

God bless mate.

Thanks for posting this, I've gained a lot from this thread and happy to know that it can help, even if it's an iota of help, to some one else, then good.

I've been told that, "man up" and "just get on with it man, your a bloke" "what's a matter with ya?" etc. etc. some cutting and very deep-full remarks,

My first therapist talked to me like as though I was a naughty kid, I was like wtf?!? and then never went back, It took another 3 before I finally connected with one and that was and seemed very helpful, so we'll see what they recommend?

I've just come back from watching the joker.....all about mental health.....totally true what your saying.

Wish you the best man and also, post away anytime.

Last edited:
@StrawDog

Unfortunately mate I believe media is also to blame for negativity towards people who suffer from mental health issues.

Its like they put fear in the general public that those mental health sufferers arent "normal" or "sane".

So when you have someone come out and discuss the issues they suffer from they get such appalling remarks from certain people out there that it does shock you tbh.

Channelking and Strawdog Yous should not feel ashamed in any way as regards to mental health issues, unfortunately its becoming alot more commom nowadays, while more seems to be getting done as regards to help organisations, its still falling way short, hopefully in time it improves. Channelking, you say your family brought you back from the brink, thats good, thats the way to always think in the future, your children or grandchildren (if you have any) are a great source of comfort when you are feeling at a low point in life, they give you that little bright light that can make you realise that there is still plenty to look forward to in your life, and they will always need you there for guidance and support. Good luck to anyone suffering from any sort of mental problems, never try to go through it alone, talk to someone, a family member, a friend, a work colleague, someone else, always take that first step and seek some help, there can be a brighter future ahead.

@grahamer67

Really appreciate your comments and advice mate. Really do.

You will find it hard to believe but your one of the few people I have had a positive response from as I never seem to get such a response in the "real world"

Hence why I love this place, pathetic as it sounds it just gives me a place to let go so to speak and just to talk to others to get myself away from issues even for a moment. You and others mate are amazing people. Wish more good and understanding people out in the world.

No wife or kids as I dont want to ruin their life mate with my misery hence why I dont have a relationship. My own family are my world and would do everything I can for them. But numerous times I wanted it to end I always thought of them and how they will be affected. I still have these moments but I never go all the way through with it obviously as wouldnt be here if I did.

I dont feel like I am getting better but worse tbh. But I have to put a brave face in front of my family as I never let them see what I go through as I know it would destroy them.

It is what it is mate. Just have accepted it all.

Anyway apologies for sounding so depressing guys (no pun intended). Dont mean to sound so negative. Never have shared my issues like I have so I am surprised about opening up so much and just letting it out.

God bless you all.

Back