printer problems

sartranew

We have a network printer running windows XP, all the other can connect, but the windows 7 pc, it states access denied. i thought it was a driver issue, but when i connected the printer to another pc, and shared it, the windows 7 pc was able to connect.
Can anyone advise me, what to do to get access on the original pc, where the printer needs to be.
I am able to connect to files on the pc, just not the printer.

Thanks in advance
:)

Thanks Ferguj1
i have tried all the options, to no avail. i get to the add printer stage, i can see it, when i click next, this is when the access is denied.
Strange tho, when the printer is connected directly to another xp pc, the windows 7 pc connects without a problem. btw, all the other pcs can connect to the shared printer.

Any other pointers. other than buying a longer printer cable and leaving it on the pc that works !

I had a issue with a lexmark printer,worked fine with vista,when updated to windows 7 printer was not recognised,updated driver to windows 7 from lexmark site and still would'nt work,i then got the last issued vista driver and voila it worked perfectly.
So i suppose my advice is get the drivers from the maker of the printer and see which one will work with your version of 7,it may even be a vista driver that will sort it

i am just stuck as to why it connects to the other pc, when the printer is shared on there. i assummed i have the right driver, for it to work.

Windows 7 is a bit trickier,that is why you have compatibility settings for such problems inbuilt to 7,i still think the driver is your problem,go to the forums from the printer manufacturer and i am sure you will see you are not alone

Another thing you could try is, Assuming on XP machine you have file and printer sharing enabled, and that you have shared the printer in Printer and faxes. See what it is like with simple file sharing switched on in the folder options (and off).

Maybe create an account on the XP machine with same login details and password as the Windows7 machine.

Thanks jodav
the file sharing works a treat, and the printer shares on the xp machines, with it been a network we dont have passwords. I have at the moment connected the printer to another Pc, and all the pcs connect so everybody is working, i will just keep messing when i get a mo.

Thanks anyhow.

I would be interested to find out your solution, if you find one sartanew. I don't have a windows 7 machine, apart from installing a virtual one and I can't be bothered :)

Back