Problems Using a WiFi Dongle on H2S.

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Evening all,
I have spent an age trying to get a WiFi dongle to connect to the internet, it was seeing all the different networks, just wouldn't connect.
Long story short, I reflashed, tried again and succeeded, so now I have a new problem - A mobile network supplied by VM ROI needs a username and password, not just a password. This photo shows how it looks on the mobile phone, is there a place on the H2S that allows a userneme as well as a password? I have opened all the various bits, and can't see one.
Has anyone anywhere (particularly those in the ROI trying to use Horizon WiFree) come across this connundrum before??

Screenshot_20190703_125744.jpg

Cheers,
Wheelo.

I have it set up from the VM end, now I need the box end sorted - as I have said above, I even included a photo of it set up on the phone.

I don't use wi-fi , not since old skyboxes, but can't you configure wlan on your box wheelo, you get option on openvix setup lan or wlan ?

I don't use wi-fi , not since old skyboxes, but can't you configure wlan on your box wheelo, you get option on openvix setup lan or wlan ?
On normal wlan you don't need a username,
This looks like an open network, where you need to sign in, like public WiFi if I'm thinking correctly.

I am using Open ATV, and I have the Wireless dongle set up using my main Broadband.

On normal wlan you don't need a username,
This looks like an open network, where you need to sign in, like public WiFi if I'm thinking correctly.

You're right mate, I have it set up for my broadband - What this is basically, is a system put in place by VM ROI whereby if I go to your house and you have VM ROI my phone will connect to your router, but use my allowance as it has my user and password. My Sister has no broadband in her house, but one of her neighbours has VM ROI router, so she could connect to that for IPTV if I can find a workaround.

Does that make sense?

I had VM for years but never used the 'Horizion free' service. I thought you had to be in same premises to connect ? guest access in a private home .again wi-fi isn't my thing, but would you be looking at creating a mobile hotspot with your phone? my late mate Paul helped many set similar up back in day, I'd say there's something on youtube that might help

Did you setup a new account and password for wifi and test on laptop to see if it connects.
Arent you getting it? I have it set up on phone! I attached a photo. I dont need a new account and password

I had VM for years but never used the 'Horizion free' service. I thought you had to be in same premises to connect ? guest access in a private home .again wi-fi isn't my thing, but would you be looking at creating a mobile hotspot with your phone? my late mate Paul helped many set similar up back in day, I'd say there's something on youtube that might help

I wasn't- except as a last resort looking to do a mobile phone hotspot. I figure it is easy to do

Mobile hot spot you turn on on your phone say give your sister a password to enter whats assigned to your hotspot then they connect to your phone using your data mate for example my sons ipad is wifi only but if we go out anywhere I connect his ipad to my phone to use my data so he has WiFi

I am using Open ATV, and I have the Wireless dongle set up using my main Broadband.

You're right mate, I have it set up for my broadband - What this is basically, is a system put in place by VM ROI whereby if I go to your house and you have VM ROI my phone will connect to your router, but use my allowance as it has my user and password. My Sister has no broadband in her house, but one of her neighbours has VM ROI router, so she could connect to that for IPTV if I can find a workaround.

Does that make sense?

Not realy, no.
You mean connect to neighbour's BB but use your allowance?
They have this type of thing in UK but the customer has to agree to it.
They asked me if I wanted to vollunteer my BB as a WIFI hotspot when I'm not using it.
You can imagine my reply.
If neighbour isn't sharing, it doesn't matter what you do.
Also I wouldn't classify it as a conundrum. Maybe a brain-teaser, mystery, enigma, poser, mystification, riddle or puzzlement, but definately not a conundrum :unsure:

Arent you getting it? I have it set up on phone! I attached a photo. I dont need a new account and password

I wasn't- except as a last resort looking to do a mobile phone hotspot. I figure it is easy to do
I don't think you are going to be able to connect the H2s directly to the Wi-Free as, you have already discovered, it needs a browser to authorise the user. It is generally an 'open' network, but is locked from internet access until authorised.

I think you have also discovered this, ie. use a phone to logon to the Wi-Free and then tether it to the H2S via a hotspot.

Anyway, regardless of how you connect, I have found streaming results are very poor due to extreme throttling of bandwidth with Wi-Free.

Back