psp backups

sounds harder and harder Dan, but i will persevere. can store bought games be used on the PSP without any hassle Dan, when you have downgraded and then put on custom software?

You will get their wheelo, we're all here to help. ;), and yes, UMD's will still be readable and can be used normally bother before and after the downgrade.

great stuff dan, until the parts arrive, you can have some time off LOL

Guide

Now that you have your pandora battery and your memory stick, you should be good to go wheelo, from past experience i hear that a 512MB or 2GB work the best, but its just something i read online, i'm sure you'll be fine, i downgraded mine succesfully with a 4GB memory stick.

Just to confirm that your battery is working, when you insert into into the PSP, the screen will remain blank but the power light will automatically turn on to the green colour.

Download the following:
pspq.png

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zfkijd2rm4n
Instructions:

Have your PSP connected and in USB mode.

1) Extract the 380.PBP and Rain MMS program.

2) Run the Rain MMS program and select the following.

3) Select 3.80 OFW/M33-5 (DCv4) and click load Eboot, and select 380.pbp (downloaded file)

4) Your PSP should be detected at this stage already, check the "format memory stick" box.

5) If you have a Phat PSP then you can select "1.50 Kernal addon installer" Just under the checked box USB version fake plugin.
I repeat if you do NOT have a Phat PSP then do not select the 1.50 kernal add on otherwise you will fry your PSP!!

5) You can leave the defaull trigger button to L(Default).

6) Finally, you can now select "Make MMS", at this stage the program will format your memory stick and create the necessary index with all the files required for the downgrade.

7) Disconnect from PC and remove any batteries inserted in the PSP, and put in the memory stick.

8) Carefully put in the pandora battery, make sure it is not taken out until the process is finished.

9) The green light should now come on before (as tested earlier), aswell as the red flashing memory stick light. If the memory stick light does not come on then that means there was a fault in making the memory stick, so you will have to repeat the steps again.

10) The PSP should now display some white text, from memory, you will have to press "X" to install the 3.80 Custom firmware.

11) The downgrading will now begin, alot of text will appear on the screen, rushing down. But dont worry, this is supposed to happen.

12) You will know when the downgrade is succesful when the PSP tells you so!, it will say the downgrade is successfuly press "X" again to restart your PSP

13) Congratulations, you now have a PSP with custom firmware. (y)

Last edited:
cheers dan, i am downloading your link at the moment, a phat psp is the one with what looks like a speaker at the top of the console?

2260152876_a6fca5c566.jpg

i have 1 of each for the two nephews, i thought that only one of them had a psp, so is there a way of doing the phat(fat) psp?

Last edited:
Thats right wheelo :).

Also you'll notice, the slim will not have any button in order to open the UMD disc tray as it is opened by hand. (y)

okay dan, but iedited my post as you will see, so is there another way to do the phat(fat) one.
thanks, i will be a pest , but you know you want to help me LOL

The same procedure applies for both the Phat and Slim PSP, just take into consideration point no.5.

The 1.50 kernal add on, simply gives the phat psp's the ability to play homebrew that will only play on the 1.50 firmware. If you've already made the memory stick and ticked the 1.50 kernal add onn then do the downgrade on the phat PSP. Then run the ENTIRE process again, this time UNCHECK 1.50 kernal add on and run on SLIM psp.

No worries wheelo, i'll do my best to help. :)

sorry dan, just reread it, and there is two 5's, and 20 mins left of download, so you have a little break lol

dan at stage 7 should i disconnect from the pc and do the rest stand alone?

okay dan 1 down 1 to go, the phat this time, where do i find the 1.5 file requires after ticking at stage 5?

Last edited:
okay dan 1 down 1 to go, the phat this time, where do i find the 1.5 file requires after ticking at stage ?

The kernel add on is built in to the program, if the option is checked, the PSP will be installed with that add-on, so you'll be able to run homebrew applications/games that would typically only work on the 1.50 firmware. Also, if your just looking too play downloaded games off the net or your UMD backups, leaving the 1.50 kernal add on UNCHECKED will not cause any problems for the phat. I've read that it can be installed at a later time if necessary. But it think you'll be fine without it, my slim runs downloaded ISO's without no problems. (y)

no dan its not attached, but yes, i only want to run backups, so no problem.

now do i put the iso's into the PSP?GAME folder, and then i can run them?

when i follow the steps for the phat PSP, put in the pandora battery, the power light comes on and the memory card light flashes, but then it opens the normal menu.
any ideas?

second on the slim PSP that i have managed to put on the cfw , where do i put the iso/cso files to play them

no dan its not attached, but yes, i only want to run backups, so no problem.

now do i put the iso's into the PSP?GAME folder, and then i can run them?

That the directory where the applications would normally go, the folder you want to put the iso's in will be named ISO and it will be in the root of the Memory stick.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

when i follow the steps for the phat PSP, put in the pandora battery, the power light comes on and the memory card light flashes, but then it opens the normal menu.
any ideas?

second on the slim PSP that i have managed to put on the cfw , where do i put the iso/cso files to play them

Glad you've got the slim sorted, my previous post says where you have to put the cso/iso files.

Alright, that would happen if the memory stick was not made properly, maybe you could try doing it again and again until it works :), you may even want to uncheck the 1.50 kernal add-on. If your back-up games are not really old then you should have no problems in playing them. :)

thanks dan , i'll give that a try(y)

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Hi guys, do you know about CSO files, can they go into the same ISO folder?, or do they have to be converted into ISO files?
thanks for all your help so far

thanks dan , i'll give that a try(y)

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Hi guys, do you know about CSO files, can they go into the same ISO folder?, or do they have to be converted into ISO files?
thanks for all your help so far

CSO files can go into the same folder as the ISO folder, they are just like ISO files but they are compressed alot more, and sometimes you may find that the performance of cso games tend to be a little slower as the PSP has to uncompress these files as it goes along.

By pressing select on the PSP, it will open the custom menu:
psp-homebrew-ultimate-vsh-menu-revised-550gen-supported.png

You can select a faster speed of reading the games and its playback will then be better but this may take abit more battery life.

To do so change the first too options to 333/166 for the first 2 options.

Last edited:
okay guys, another update....you will be glad to know that i got the two PSP's downgraded and ready to play the backup copies of the games...
one final thing is that 7th mentioned that i can backup the kids games onto the memory stick in case they get lost or whatever.. could someone please tell me how to do that please?

thanks a million
wheelo

Back