Pump issue for rain shower.

cactikid

VIP Member
Not sure if anyone is into these for boosting water pressure in rain shower. It has started to hum when no water taps are on and is it a service or other needed.
I had to power off the pump as it started to run when not needed
+ a few weeks ago it kept running on after tap was turned off.

Its a salamander pump

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone is into these for boosting water pressure in rain shower. It has started to hum when no water taps are on and is it a service or other needed.
I had to power off the pump as it started to run when not needed
+ a few weeks ago it kept running on after tap was turned off.

Its a salamander pump
a quick search on google for salamander pump brings up info and company address on left hand side there are different models some have expansion vessels

Found the manual for it last night but wondered if its a house call or worse.
Just switching it on for morning shower and off again for the moment.

Hi

I found this on their website if it helps.....

If the pump is positive head (doesn’t have a pressure vessel) and is turning on and off during use, this is most likely due to the amount of water coming into the pump not being enough to make the pump kick in. Positive head require 2 litres per minute (L/min) per side to activate so it might be that the flow is stopping and starting. Watch our video to learn how to measure water flow rate – this will help to determine if the system has the necessary flow rates for a positive head pump.

A negative head (universal) pump is indicated by a pressure vessel (as shown in the picture). These pumps turn on when they sense a pressure drop in the system. A dripping tap or leak in the system can cause the system pressure to drop which would activate a negative head pump, even though all outlets are turned off. This is called ‘hunting’. When a pump is ‘hunting’ you will hear the pump switch on for a few seconds when no outlets are open.

An isolation test will help to determine if a leak in the system is causing the pump to hunt. Watch our video to learn how to carry out an isolation test.

If the pump turns on while the outlet isolating valves are turned off, then it could be down to low or no pressure in the pressure vessel. Watch our video to learn how to check the pressure vessel – you will need a flat head screwdriver, and a foot pump with a gauge to carry out the test

FAQs | Salamander Pumps

Just got used to switching it off for the moment and on when i need the shower.
Cant bend down anyway to check it out further but on the never ever list of repairs 😁

As mentioned it looks like the flow switch is stuck open/faulty and the pump keeps running. You could isolate your house at the stop cock, drain the water by opening all the taps, turn the pump off and you might find the switch drops when the system is empty.

If the pump is coming on when the shower is not being used and there is no water leaking out of the shower then I would say it's the pump on its way out. I have had to replace mine twice in the last few years. Depending which model you have there are normally isolator valves,if there are it's an easy swap.

Pump is used in kitchen , Downstairs washroom , and upstairs washroom and shower.

No water dripping anywhere and sometimes drying myself after the shower it may run 3 or 4 times before i power it off and other times silence 😁

Back