Question about weak Astra2 signal

Jolly Roger

I live on the fringe of Astra2 reception and need a 1 metre dish to pick up signals from 1N, 2A and 2F. I have been investigating why myself and some friends get certain channels while others with similar set ups do not. In particular it seems that all Radio channels and some TV like Euronews are weaker signals. On investigating, it appears that these are broadcast from 2F. So is there any tech wizards that can suggest what might be wrong if these channels cannot be received, or is it just a question of aligning the dish more accurately?

how are u reading the signal? box or meter? are you using a offset dish or a mini dish.

where are you based as well will tell you about what size dish you need. UK is mostly all mini dishes

I am setting dishes with a meter. All dishes here in Kefalonia tend to be 100 cm diameter or 90 cm x 100 cm elliptical, but doesn't seem to make any difference which is used. LNBs are pretty standard 0.1db universal. Interestingly, on my set up, which does receive radio channels, I have 85% strength shown on the box. But Radio channels are only showing 50% quality, whereas for most TV channels the quality is around 75%. Does that prove the signal is weaker for radio?

No one users radio and 75% is not bad for tv. I get about 70-90 on most

We can only receive UK radio via satellite or internet. Satellite is a convenient way to listen for many expats. I am still trying to understand why some receive it and some do not. It is still uncertain what will happen when 2E is operational, so maybe we need to wait and see.

just out of curiosity what receiver are you using, are you using a sat meter with tv screen or just meter, if not found it handy to adjust dish while looking at screen and setting the receiver to the weaker stations first like euronews, tiny pop, pop girl kix and check signal intensity and quality

with the new sat beam working ex pats in spain have lost their bbc1 and others so a bigger dish wont help,its suppose to be uk and irl only

HTML:
http://www.ses.com/4628845/astra-2f

just out of curiosity what receiver are you using, are you using a sat meter with tv screen or just meter, if not found it handy to adjust dish while looking at screen and setting the receiver to the weaker stations first like euronews, tiny pop, pop girl kix and check signal intensity and quality
I am using a Blade 7000 receiver. I have set the dish with just a satfinder meter. I agree it would be handy to adjust the dish while viewing a weaker channel, but not always possible. Since the changover to 2E, I have noticed Radio channels are even weaker and Euronews seems to have gone completely. This is strange because I think these channels are still on 2F!

Back