Question for electricial

cactikid

VIP Member
Over the last 5 years i have many of these but had issues,last one lasted 1 full day until clock resets itself to 00.00 and not much use as an alarm clock radio.I have used it in bedroom in 2 different sockets and same thing happens 00.00 no time and no date.
My good old panasonic one still works and only the odd time if circuit breaker trips i lose all devices in the house ,reset and go room to room switching things off.
Could i be overlooking anything to check even though i have dropped box back and everything else plugged in to these sockets work.

Attachments

• roberts-Istream-94i.jpg
    roberts-Istream-94i.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
If you have martindale tester you could plug it in to the socket to check you don't have a fault
One light indicates reverse polarity two lights
no earth three lights is ok With the trip on yo could remove each fuse in the consumer unit
One by one to see what circuit has a fault

Hmmm i remember sparks had one when doing electrical extension,i dont think i bought one but need to do digging to check.

No expert in domestic electricity work with
Main electricity company Thats the procedure
We follow every day Screw fix supply them

Dropped in tonight and had a chat and he stated all new tech needs a connection to internet by cable or wifi so that it auto updates.

That sounds rubbish to me , it’s a dab radio it should keep the time . Bit worried that your circuit breaker trips the odd time , I think this needs checking . Sounds like something is dodgy with electrics , or something plugged in is dodgy that causes electric to dip or trip. Do you have any sockets on a different circuit ...eg a breaker for upstairs sockets and one for downstairs , if so try radio on different circuit or plug it in at someone else’s house for a week to prove radios ok.

Box has only a power supply and internet was not setup,maybe on previous boxes it was but unsure.I would have thought like any clock you set the date and time and thats it.
I could go 10 months before it trips and have unplugged things to check but not related to this unit as it happened before it was bought.
So i will have to set box up again and have wifi setup so box updates itself.
Box in garage has the circuit breakers and kill switch which sometimes gets thrown for no apparent reason lol
When house was rewired we got a sheet to say what breaker was in that room.

You make it sound like 10 months is good , it should go years without tripping. Are you confident with electrics ? If so , switch off the breaker that trips then go round all the sockets that are on that breaker , unscrew them from the wall , check and tighten the electrical connections then re screw to wall, could just be a loose connection , look for any signs of burning or arcing as you go , if you see any then replace the socket. If your not happy about doing this get an electrician in ....don’t want to scare you but it could save the house from burning down

Dab was not setup either,when in shop earlier they setup wifi to auto update and he unpowered box and powered it up and box showed 00.00 and it updated to correct date and time.Might setup box again in other room to see if it updates in standby if clock goes to 00.00

Does that radio take batteries,?
I have one that needs batteries as a back-p for mains failure, turned off at socket.
Check it.
DAB gets clock signal from radio so needs to be turned on a few minutes to reset clock if it has lost power without a battery back-up.
Circuit breaker tripping wouldn't take out whole house, sounds like an up-front RCD, is it twice the width of the other breakers (MCBs) ?

No batteries in this as we checked in shop.
Have setup in kitchen with wired lan and update to on to see what happens and it shows lan connection.

Ahh rcd thats what it was and had an issue with that going down and pushing back up and down it went.

I thought it was connected to greenhouse when i used the mister when i had orchids and had a master switch in extension to kill power to that greenhouse.
Other greenhouse also had a master switch near fusebox.

Attachments

• HydroFoggerUnit001.jpg
    HydroFoggerUnit001.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2
Well that's as clear as mud.
You have an Orchid / Cactus fogger, that bit is clear, although one has to wonder why, even though I'd estimate most people's anticipation of the answer as 0%, unless it involves Wile E Coyote and maybe RR as well?

No the fogger was in the orchid house as they loved humidity.
Cacti house was hot and dry.
My point was the fogger was great in doing a mist inside the orchid house but every thing was wet hence wet electrics lol shocking could trip the breaker but house is empty now and power turned off.

Radio still has time showing so will have to keep it there much longer to see.
Time showed 20.21 at 9.45 lol so back in the box for another return.

Last edited:
Back