Quit All the Doom & Gloom

drowzee1872

I do like this forum, but there are so many doom & gloom merchants!

Sly UK may be fighting anti-piracy but is it the end? with so much money invested in Card Sharing, you would expect things to develop eventually. IPTV in it's current state is so poor... mostly restreams of restreams! And once the demand for IPTV increases, watch those servers struggle to output the data reliably, especially when they become over-subscribed, no doubt it will be coupled with complaints about "Joe Bloggs" who took my money for IPTV and won't give it back even though it's shyte.

My own scenario is but a simple one. I have access to 23.5E, 19.2E and 13.0E if I want to use those satellites, but I am more than happy to retune my Edision box to a freesat box for the time being. What I will not do is hand over and money to Sly in an effort to appease the missus. Imagine the money Sky have spent doing this, in the hope subscribers will flock back to them. (And judging by some of the comments on Techkings they may be right).

I for one will not. No matter what the offer is they give. If this becomes cost effective for Sly, then they will have achieved their aims.

I'm with you 100%. Stuff Murdoch. It's not my fault he spent £4 bn more on getting football than he needed to. I've got a Freeview box in the loft and i'll drag that out if I need to. Still got my Droid box working nicely and Virmin on the h2h. I have thought about getting a Mag for the IPTV but haven't seen a good quality provider yet HD that's more like SD and freezing up issues.

I'm sure that people will beaver away at fixing this. All problems are created and solved by humans.

I remember when it was telewest and cards started going off everyone was saying it was the end then.

People will always find a solution to whatever sky and cable come up with because there is money to be made from it.

I bet sky will be back on in some form before then end of this year but for the time being ill just watch no tv instead of being ripped off paying for it

Well it looks like the end of the old dodgey box now, will not be paying SKY for the privilege for watching sports, just get the youngster to find the correct stream for the match :(:(

People seem to enjoy doom and gloom.. I've been testing IPTV and it's terrible, had better streams on Kodi. I've remained positive throughout this but we've taken a massive hit of late.

I once worked for Vermin, the company before the NTL merge and the day we believed we knocked off card sharing within weeks it was back. Funny we had people complaining that there starview boxes had gone off and the bloke in the pub said it was okay to ring up.

Too much negativity....I have had sly from a provider for a number for years and every other week someone would post up the end is near...the end is near etc

The only major annoyance I had over the years was when HD stopped. It never seemed to have been cracked (not even sure if anyone was really working on it) but was not that bothered as still had SD channels. And lets face it, how many times do we put on the tv and say "with all these channels, still nothing good to watch"

The way I see it, keep watching and just see what happens.

I'm quite happy that the missus can't make me sit through any more American house renovation programs - I'll still find a way to watch the football!!

I'm not into football. I like boxing and F1. When Sly took control of the F1 rights it was okay initially because when the Sly F1 channel launched all HD basic customers got it for free. That was in my old house share. When I moved into a new house with my girlfriend last year I looked at the legit options. All she wanted was the E!, TLC, MTV shows... All I wanted was F1 and the occasional box office boxing match. I looked at BT...No F1, I looked at cable...Not in my area, I looked at Sly...And was gobsmacked that I had to pay for a full sports pack just to get my beloved F1. Why?! That's why i'm here now with my Z Gemma. They may have taken the F1 this week but I'm going to stream.

For the sake of 1 or 2 sports channels and the Kardashians I'm not going to bother paying upwards of £80 per month. Freeview still has better quality entertainment.

Murdoch can do one!

Yeah! Sly are taking away the toys we love. Let's be happy. :grin:

happy_61th_birthday_mr_t-48939

Last edited:
For the sake of 1 or 2 sports channels and the Kardashians I'm not going to bother paying upwards of £80 per month. Freeview still has better quality entertainment.

And that's why I made my earlier comment, albeit in a jokey way. You seem to have 2 types of people who use this stuff, firstly people who are quite happy to watch normal PTV satellite channels and the occasional sporting event or movie but would never pay for it at the full price. The second group are the football fanatics who want to watch all the matches but don't want to pay for them. Like with Kodi streaming it is this group that companies like VM, BT, Sly, ESPN etc target simply because they're more likely to become paying consumers when the free/heavily discounted options are no longer available.  

Tbh I've had access to SAT movies and sports for a while now but I mostly watch the TV shows that I like on Netflix, Amazon or Kodi because I find it's a lot more convenient and there are no commercials that way.

No crack down on those torrenters then that torrent the hell out of boxing, football and wrestling and all TV programmes. Guess I'll go back to that. Lolz

No crack down on those torrenters then that torrent the hell out of boxing, football and wrestling and all TV programmes. Guess I'll go back to that. Lolz

Those aren't live and there is far less they can do that. The big money is in live sports and less so in recordings of stuff.

Personally I think the next big crackdown after they either succeed or give up in trying to kill Kodi will be Facebook and Twitter streaming if the recent boxing match was anything to go by.

Personally I think the next big crackdown after they either succeed or give up in trying to kill Kodi will be Facebook and Twitter streaming if the recent boxing match was anything to go by.

I think there may have already been a knock on effect. How many people providing streams on kodi/IPTV are legit subscribers. Whilst I can still find all the channels I need on a paid IPTV sub I would expect the availability and choice of streams to be affected in some way.

I think there may have already been a knock on effect. How many people providing streams on kodi/IPTV are legit subscribers. Whilst I can still find all the channels I need on a paid IPTV sub I would expect the availability and choice of streams to be affected in some way.

Probably a considerable number. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of free live TV streams on Kodi were created that way.

I do like this forum, but there are so many doom & gloom merchants!

Sly UK may be fighting anti-piracy but is it the end? with so much money invested in Card Sharing, you would expect things to develop eventually. IPTV in it's current state is so poor... mostly restreams of restreams! And once the demand for IPTV increases, watch those servers struggle to output the data reliably, especially when they become over-subscribed, no doubt it will be coupled with complaints about "Joe Bloggs" who took my money for IPTV and won't give it back even though it's shyte.

My own scenario is but a simple one. I have access to 23.5E, 19.2E and 13.0E if I want to use those satellites, but I am more than happy to retune my Edision box to a freesat box for the time being. What I will not do is hand over and money to Sly in an effort to appease the missus. Imagine the money Sky have spent doing this, in the hope subscribers will flock back to them. (And judging by some of the comments on Techkings they may be right).

I for one will not. No matter what the offer is they give. If this becomes cost effective for Sly, then they will have achieved their aims.
I take it you need a motorized dish for those frequencies? can you use said dish with a h2h. might be the way forward for myself. though im on cable and sat anyway but wouldnt mind some 3 o'clock action. whole heartedly agree with everything u said about IPTV. had subs in the past from droidsticks and other suppliers. usually when they become popular they crash and the rest dont justify the price.

I take it you need a motorized dish for those frequencies? can you use said dish with a h2h. might be the way forward for myself. though im on cable and sat anyway but wouldnt mind some 3 o'clock action. whole heartedly agree with everything u said about IPTV. had subs in the past from droidsticks and other suppliers. usually when they become popular they crash and the rest dont justify the price.

I have a 1.1M dish, with 4 LNB's. no need to motorize. Just use a diseqc switch. Very easy to do. I was being greedy at one point. Had 6 LNBS, with 7.0E and 16.0E, but took them off. When you offset LNB's there is some degrading of signal. Been tempted to have a look at some other satellites though. 4.8E, 1.0W .. 30,0W (Hispasat I think).... Motorized would be better then...lol

I'm quite happy that the missus can't make me sit through any more American house renovation programs - I'll still find a way to watch the football!!

Absolutely, Extreme Makeover can FO! and don't get me started on the Kardashians.... it's like acupuncture for the eyeballs!

Back