Racist Attacks in Public - What would you do?

j4v3d

VIP Member
[h=1]Racist thugs beat me up on Metrolink tram - and 200 passengers watched and did nothing[/h]photo(4)sdgsdgsdgsgwe_5981597-1750380.jpg

A dad who was racially abused and brutally battered on a tram packed with up to 200 people today told of his dismay after nobody stepped in to stop the attack.

Prakash Patel, 56, from New Moston, was on a tram with his daughter Devyani at Trafford Bar when he suffered a tirade of racist abuse followed by a sustained vicious assault. He was punched in the face and head more than 18 times and suffered two black eyes and concussion.

Today the M.E.N. joins Prakash, a bank officer in Manchester, in calling for one of the witnesses to come forward and help police convict his attackers.

Here Prakash, who has lived in Manchester for 31 years and is married to teacher Vasanti, 52, tells of his terror on the tram...

‘Nobody did anything... my daughter was the only one who helped me’
WE had been to the Fulham match at Old Trafford. We go as often as we can because we are big fans, we’ve been going for 25 years and never had any trouble. There were more than 200 people just in our carriage, it was so packed you couldn’t move. About six men or seven men came on to the tram and started making indecent racist comments.

Myself and my daughter felt distressed and very uncomfortable about this so I said ‘just behave’. I said it again ‘please behave’ and that's when it started. There was one in front of me and one behind me both punching me in my face and on the back of the head. They were hitting me in the face, the eyes, the head. After two punches I think I blacked out but the carriage was so full that I was unconscious while standing up. Nobody did anything or said anything, they all just stood and watched us.

I managed to lean against the side of the tram while they got out. They told me ‘If you want to finish this get off the tram’ before they got off calmly at the G-MEX stop.

Nobody did anything to stop them or help me afterwards. My daughter was the only one who helped me. She managed to push one of the men off and then the other stopped. It seemed like the other passengers just wanted the drama.

I had concussion and I needed a CT scan and was off work for two weeks. My wife had to stay off too to look after me. Now I can’t walk outside on my own and I will never go on public transport again and I will only ever watch Manchester United in a box, never again will I sit in the stands. I lost 3kg in the two weeks after the attack.

If I could I would leave the country but my family is too established here. Perhaps if it had been two groups of men fighting each other I could understand but this was two young men attacking an older man and his young daughter. How can this happen?

I want people to know – and I want witnesses to come forward so justice can be done.

I've lost my faith in society, says daughter
Devyani Patel, 21, is an estate agent who lives with her parents in New Moston.

Reliving their ordeal, she said: “I was screaming at them to stop. They were punching him over people’s heads, but nobody did anything or said anything. I was trying to pull them off my dad and shouting at them to get off my dad.

“The one facing me was just staring at me with these cold evil eyes. I am tiny and I’m a woman. I don’t understand why nobody did anything. I was just being his daughter.

“That’s what hurts the most – that nobody did anything, nobody said anything. I have lost my faith in society.

“Later at the police station, they showed us the CCTV footage. You can’t see the men but you can see all those passengers watching – it sent a shiver down my spine when I saw that. Some of them were actually jumping up to get a better view.

“Please, please, if you were on that tram come forward and speak to the police so we can find out who did this to us.”

The attack happened at Trafford Bar after Manchester United’s FA Cup clash with Fulham on January 26. The first offender is white, in his mid to late 20s, about 5ft 8in tall, with brown eyes, tanned skin and wearing a blue woollen hat with a snowflake/winter design. The second man was also white, in his mid to late 20s and said to be of a heavy build wearing a light coloured hat. Both men had local accents. Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 9168 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Code:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/racist-thugs-beat-up-metrolink-1750381

My question is why did no one bother to stand up against this racist attack? If there was 200+ people on the tram they could have stopped the attack and hounded these racist mindless thugs off the tram and hauled them down the station!

Never mind it'll just get swept under the carpet by the public/police and the family will live in constant fear of it happening again. It is absolutely sickening - nearly threw up reading the story. You can't even go anywhere without getting racially abused.

May i just appologise that you have been victim of a very shameful incident,i really dont think this attack is personal,as im sure they are just mindless thugs who are un educated cowards.
I dont beleive in the word racist,Just un educated fools who cant get on in our society.

I hope you feel better soon,

May i just appologise that you have been victim of a very shameful incident,i really dont think this attack is personal,as im sure they are just mindless thugs who are un educated cowards.
I dont beleive in the word racist,Just un educated fools who cant get on in our society.

I hope you feel better soon,

That isn't me. Was some guy with his daughter on the tram.

absoulutely shameful. i for one would not stand by and let this happen. probably get the shit beat out of me but this is something you cannot in all conscience stand by and let happen.

absoulutely shameful. i for one would not stand by and let this happen. probably get the shit beat out of me but this is something you cannot in all conscience stand by and let happen.

It's the society we live in at the moment where people would rather watch a fight and be entertained and not get involved. Maybe when it happens to one of their own it will hit home that this kind of behavior is one everyone needs to fight and get rid of.

This truly goes to show the state of society.
No one bothered to help this poor fellow, but I bet you there we're dozens of people with there damn phones out videoing this travesty.

This is a fellow human being, anyone who witnessed this and did nothing should truly be ashamed of themselves.

This is barbaric. I have a sincere hatred of every form of racism and have fought against it all my life and will continue to do so. I have stood up against this form of racism before and ended up fighting myself. When you get the shit kicked out of you for standing up against it; then folk question you...why did you do stand up against it when no one else did??
Is it not human nature to prevent yourself from any kind of harm? This is possibly why no one came forward to stop this. I do hope it's not down to everyone on that train having some form of 'racism' in their bones and being happy to watch this act of thuggery. Maybe at times all you need is that one person to stand up, then others may follow suit...wait a minute...isn't that how a political society works? I'm very saddened that no one did.
Ive had plenty of racism in my life; from personal attacks to verbal abuse and all because of the shade of my skin. I hope it's getting better out there, but I still feel there's a long way to go as nowadays it's more of a 'hidden racism' as no one wants to be labelled a 'racist'...no way!

Been on the receiving end of many a 'racist' cowards vitriol.Personally I would've jumped in and helped the guy,not because of his colour,but because he is my brother regardless!If more people realise we are all the same and have peace and love in our hearts,we as a 'people' would go very far in this universe :)

Back