Recommendations for Quality Power Supply Unit

sinno

VIP Member
I should have read this sooner,i just got a samsung 2 tb internal installed it and have been having a problem,i already have a 1tb,a 500gb and a 160gb installed along with a dvd writer so i tink i have maxed out the power on the power supply,the samsung will format one minute then not be recognised the next,i have removed it and put it in a dock station and it is working fine,can anyone recomend a good sata power unit to accomodate all the hdd's and maybey another dvd writer

I have a Corsair 450 and have not had any issues whatsoever. It is running a intel dual core, 4 gb or ram, 4hdd, 3 odd, 2 120mm case fans, and a radeon 4670 video card. Which combined puts me right around requiring 400 watts. Sticking with quality PSUs is very key (IMO) to having a long term stable system.

I should have read this sooner,i just got a samsung 2 tb internal installed it and have been having a problem,i already have a 1tb,a 500gb and a 160gb installed along with a dvd writer so i tink i have maxed out the power on the power supply,the samsung will format one minute then not be recognised the next,i have removed it and put it in a dock station and it is working fine,can anyone recomend a good sata power unit to accomodate all the hdd's and maybey another dvd writer

sinno what are you currently running for a PSU?? You shouldn't be anywhere near your limits unless it's a 350W or so. ;) Use that link Gman supplied it should give you a rough estimate of your needs. ;) good luck

just so you know the main computer at me home is running a 1000W Antec... I like over kill. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys should have said
Intel Core 2 Quadcore
ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
4gb ram(3 available because im running 32 bit)
1 1tb internal HDD
1 160 gb internal HDD
1 500gb internal HDD
A sony optairc dvd writer
Front assorted card mounts
around 8 usb ports
Its a Dell Vostro and from what i can gather its only a 350 watt
I would like to add the 2tb HDD and another 500gb HDD and a another dvd writer,im guessing im looking for either a 650 watt or 750 watt

Last edited:
Sorry guys should have said
Intel Core 2 Quadcore
ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
4gb ram(3 available because im running 32 bit)
1 1tb internal HDD
1 160 gb internal HDD
1 500gb internal HDD
A sony optairc dvd writer
Front assorted card mounts
around 8 usb ports
Its a Dell Vostro and from what i can gather its only a 350 watt
I would like to add the 2tb HDD and another 500gb HDD and a another dvd writer,im guessing im looking for either a 650 watt or 750 watt

sinno... did you 'run' the psu "app" that Gman linked you too?? If so what did it say about your needs?? I'd guess somewhere in the 550-600 range would be plenty. ;)

either one of these would do you proud sinno. ;)

Link to Corsair 550W & 600W

I like this Antec as well....

Antec BP550

Thanks greensman,i did run it and if all my calculations are right 507watt
Didnt include the new writer or extra hdd so i would say i would be good to go with the 600

Where on a Vostro are you getting the Mobo connections to run all that you propose sinno?

it realy was starting to take over the other thread

While we would recommend a user not to start a thread on a topic that was already open, this one did seem to be getting hijacked through nobody's fault really :)

Anyway it was expertly handled by the head of our "Move it Dept." ferg (y) lol

Last edited:
Could'nt agree more and thanks for the advice Gman,i think i will go and get a 650 w to be sure.
And also thanks for everyone else's advice

Back