Recording and Setting up HDD

Mavio

Hello,

I have a 1TB hard drive i want to use to store recordings on my H2H box. Currently running grogbuild but I have no idea how to set up the hdd and box to make it work.

Any advice or links to a guide is appreciated.

Assuming it's an external hdd, remove your normal usb stick and then plug in the hdd, now press the menu button and select Setup -> system -> Storage devices -> initiualise -> your hdd -> red button

That will wipe the hdd clean and format it so it is suitable for use on the box. Note your pc won't be able to read it if you try plugging it in to it at later date.

Now reboot the box (menu -> Standby/Restart -> restart) and during the reboot the necessary folders will be created on your hdd for time shift and recordings etc.

You will need to download the epg again as it is stored on the HDD.

Perfect Grog thanks.

I’ll give it a try.

This might sound like a dumb question but once I have flashed a box and set it up etc. I was always under the impression I had to leave the usb plugged in the rear of the box. Is this right?

If so what do I do with that once I add the new HDD?

Also when recording does the channel auto change over if I series link a program?

if using the USB to flash the box then NO, if you leave the usb stick in the box when you reboot the box it will flash again.

If you mean the usb used for recording/timeshift etc then yes keep it connected, you can replace it with the hdd but then leave the hdd connected.

if using the USB to flash the box then NO, if you leave the usb stick in the box when you reboot the box it will flash again.

If you mean the usb used for recording/timeshift etc then yes keep it connected, you can replace it with the hdd but then leave the hdd connected.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought maybe I didn’t need to have a usb connected at all after the flashing if I don’t want to record, is that right?

no, you should always have a usb initialised and mounted on the box, although the box will work, if you have a usb stick things such as timeshift, epg data and picons are stored on it. without a usb stick they would be stored in internal memory which isn't very large and if you add things such as IPTV you will probably find there is not enough space on internal memory for the iptv epg etc.

no, you should always have a usb initialised and mounted on the box, although the box will work, if you have a usb stick things such as timeshift, epg data and picons are stored on it. without a usb stick they would be stored in internal memory which isn't very large and if you add things such as IPTV you will probably find there is not enough space on internal memory for the iptv epg etc.
Sorry for jumping on the thread but I have the same sort of question ? For recordings you can point the settings to the HDD, and for EPG, TIMESHIFT ETC you point the settings to usb storage?
Any reason why it isn’t all stored on the one hdd?

A box that has multiple usb ports i can use as said my epg to usb so my hdd does not have to spin up and its easier to format my usb if something bad happens.Some boxes have only 1 usb then its everything on hdd.

So my idea is add a 500gb hdd to the Zgemma , leave a 16gb USB stick in the box for epg etc and record to the hdd? Is this the best setup or am I overthinking it? Eg keep it simple!

Just put picons and epg on the HDD. They are stored in ram when the box starts up anyway so the HDD is not in constant use unless recording/timeshift.

Just put picons and epg on the HDD. They are stored in ram when the box starts up anyway so the HDD is not in constant use unless recording/timeshift.
Okay will do
Just bought a 500gb HDD from Cex £12 just to test and set up
Thanks once again really appreciate your help

Back