Windows 7 Reinstall after hardware failiure

steeeve

Back on after 2 days. Had a motherboard failiure Monday night. Not easy getting an AM2 socket bnoard now! time for an upgrade me thinks. Anyway, I was under the understanding Windows 7 now, repairs itself on startup after a motherboard change. it changes to generic drivers, restarts, then you can install the correct ones.
Well mine didn't!! Even XP you had to reinstall the disk, but at least you didn't loose anything. I had to do a full format, luckly most of my stuff is backed up, the hassle of reinstall and drivers was a mare.

Just letting you lot know, first look into it. Either I did something wrong or Win 7 doesn't fix itself.

Steve

P.S If I did go wrong, let me know, tnx

It would appear that it can be done even though MS claim it can't.

Eventually he managed to sort this problem without a Windows 7 reinstall. He plugged my hard drive in as a slave in another PC, booted up and deleted the motherboard drivers on the slave drive. When the hard drive was plugged back into my PC with the new motherboard, it found and installed the drivers it needed. I just had to go through Windows activation using the automated phone system and everything went fine. One month on now and so far no problems.

Read full article HERE:

No problem if you are computer savvie, But trying to delete motherboard drivers from an o/s thats on a slave drive is no mean feat! What I would suggest to any one is BACK UP!!!. Got to admit, Windows 7 is still the best one. (auto arrange permanantly enabled, aside)

Steve

Yes mate, worked fine. bit of reg editting and follow the instructions. It's amazing how much use it. Beggers belief Microsoft disabled the option. Got to do it again after format.

Ste

Back