remote access possible?

woody565

Evening all,

I have setup a few boxes for some friends and as such find myself having to nip round to their houses to update lines/settings ets.

Is it possible to remote access the boxes? if so what what access can you get? root file system? system menu's etc

How would I go about it and how do you set a root password to stop unwanted access?

Thanks for any advice

the teamviewer seems a good solution, would be nicer if I could just access the box directly or through ddns as some of my family struggle to turn the computer on!

just tried to connect to openwebif with a browser and its asking for user/password. have put root in the user and left pw blank but wont connect.

Where you you set root password on the box?

openwebif isn't a great solution. For one you have to set up each of their boxes and routers so its accessible via external network. This setting up as an external network causes mayhem with a lot of peoples boxes and ends up with your box crashing and/or ftp not working correctly if you do this.

You also have to make sure all the networks are fully secure. See my other thread about accessing insecure openwebifs vulnerability.

Even if you set up everything perfectly it would be a pain to change things. Every key press on your virtual remote would take a screengrab so you know what you are doing. A very slow process.

I don't get posts like this.... I have to keep bobbing round my mates. (or the people you are selling boxes to).... Why.... so you can charge them every time you do. A proper mate would spend a couple of hours with them and show them exactly how to do everything themselves or direct them towards a forum like this so they can learn themselves.

Cheers for the reply all,

With regards to charging them for setting up their boxes, thats a bad assumption! I havent charged them a penny for hours of my time and wouldn't, but no matter how much I show them they just dont get it. I would rather they kept out of the menus really as that would probably end up with a phone call asking me to go round and fix it.

I work offshore, and if they mess it up while im away they wil have to wait until im back to fix the box, hence the reason for asking about remote access.

Kiddac I was referring to using teamviewer to access there pc then he can access openwebife through there no need to setup router to access outside of network

Although I do agree faffing around with screen grabs would be annoying.

Last edited:
and that is exactly what techkings is for. If they are stuck they can log on to here. Ask there question. Get a quick answer. And you don't need to hold their hands anymore. Set them free ;)

Just like to say I THINK I have a decent solution. I don't like the idea of Teamviewer... At all
Provide a static IP to the receiver - I was going to do that any way, because I wanted to FTP internally
I have an Asus router, so I have DDNS provided by asuscomm.com
I then port forwarded ports 80, 8001, and 8080 (Both TCP and UDP) to the static IP. See:

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/port-forwarding-on-asus-rc-ac66u/

You can also forward port 21 for FTP, but it's pretty terrible for security, unless perhaps a) you can change the FTP port and b) if you can change the username/password. Root and root is just..terrible from a security POV. I'm going to disable it on the box too, until I actually need it, so I may leave 21 shown to port forward, so I can make changes remotely, however get my parents to enable/disable it on the receiver, as and when required.

Openwebif isn't great, but what IS great is "Dreamdroid"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.reichholf.dreamdroid&hl=en_GB

Treat it as if you were watching telly with the family, ie: watching TV remotely will affect the channels that every one else is watching

The only thing I have an issue with, is if you have multiple devices, what then? Can you change the streaming port?

Last edited:
Hi Ive just seen this post sorry for the late reply, yes its best to teach people either snippets of what they wsnt to know ( about say the Enigma 2 boxes),, or some more in depth stuff. Ive learned ( mainly by trial / error,) how to add bouquets , take away fix general issues and i just managed to fix my missing EPG info so theres one up for the layman. As long as you dont end up bricking the box, i dont see the harm in a bit of tinlering, but Kudos too for not charging the others to set up. Best Marty Mc Fly Mind u , I am also am ex qualified Linux / PC mac network engineer .

Back