Windows 7 Restoring from Windows 7 Backup?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
Going to be using the Windows 7 BackUp Recovery instead of Acronis on my new laptop in order to avoid deleting any built in partitions.

486.jpg

I know that if the above option is checked then the entire drive will be reformatted, Partition C will be restored whilst all other partitions are deleted.

My question is, if i decide to keep a backup of documents and music on my D Drive, is there any way of only reformatting the C Partition of the hard drive before I start the data recovery with Windows 7?

With Acronis, I just reformat the entire drive first the C partition using the Windows XP disc and go ahead and restore the C Partition from a previous back, and when i'm back in again, the D drive remains unaffected.

Would I just have to leave that checkbox ticked and select Exclude Disk D from the "Exclude Disk" button?

I'm just preparing for the mean time, will have my laptop within the next few days. :) Want to delete the bloatware and get it all to my liking before backing up the C Drive only.

I'm a little curious as to why you are going this road Dan?

I'm a huge fan of Acronis so you'll have to excuse my bias when it comes to this lol That said though, I'm always open to trying different methods (y)

Here are some of the reasons I thought you might be doing it but then I thought no can't be that?

1. You didn't want to install a third party utility? (But you don't need to install Acronis, just use the data rescue disc)

2. You don't want to have to use the Acronis rescue disc? ( You still need to use a Win 7 rescue disc if the machine will not boot)

3. As already stated I've never imaged using the Win 7 built in option but am told that it is painfully slow?

So, what are your reasons for going the Win 7 route?

I'm also with you there Gman, i'm a huge fan of Acronis True Home Image. Sometimes i have some bizzare reasoning which makes no sense but here goes. lol

Basically, i'm going get the laptop with a 1 year standard manufacturer guarantee. I am thinking of taking extended guarantee on it but i am not entirely sure. So i thought instead of using a third party app, i may as well just use the Windows 7 built in recovery process.

I did not want to accidentally replace the recovery partition if i had ended up doing a backup with a third party utility like Acronis, and potentially screwing up my guarantee?

However, if i wanted to use Acronis, i would much rather reformat the entire HDD of my new laptop, do my necessary tune ups and changes, and then go for a backup with Acronis.

Its more of a manufacturer way vs my preferred method, if that makes sense? :)

(My reason for taking out extended guarantee is to be on the safe side in terms of hardware failure, when it comes to the software, i'll be fine.)

Speaking of Acronis, i just got a virus on my PC. I really ought to slow down when i'm browsing instead of clicking all over the place. lol

But I am back now, god bless Acronis! I hope the Windows 7 backup performs atleast half as well as Acronis does.

467.jpg

Back