Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

I've just had the VOLT added to my account.

£8 for 10GB O2 SIM got upgraded to 20GB about 3 or 4 days after I added it.
For Virgin I'm on the £77 ultimate oomph package with 500Mb broadband (last years black friday deal). I received a Hub 4 in the post about 10 days after I added it and it's now been upgraded to 1Gb speed.

Nice one.

Let us know if you get the WiFi pods sorted from them.
i got my first one, and already makes a good bit of difference. My HUB3 is in the study room, and i only get full speeds in wifi in that room and the dining room on the floor below where i work. The full 350MB on phone, latop etc using speed test.

Where my samsung TV is my bedroom and my LG OLED TV downstairs the wifi used to work but speeds were slow due to distance number of doors low signal etc.

Putting the pod in the hallway outside of the study rooms where the stairs are has made a massive difference to the WIFI on both TVS, so i think im OK with one pod for now.

its annoying as even tho i was on o2 chat because of the message, the day after they said they applied it the VM had it straight away but o2 data still not doubled which im less bothered about. and still getting the msg below on my o2. But they did say wait 14 days from when i was on chat to them :

1636818766508.png

Im going to ask to switch down to the 4gb for £6 a month deal (uswitch) so with supercharge it will be 8gb, as the sim was brought for my mum anyways who was paying £10 for 10gb and never using it.

If you actually think about it whether its 6quid or 8 quid per month sim only, ive managed to double my broadband data, save £2/£4 quid month by getting rid of the EE sim, get a wifi pod, also you can basically make the money back with priority on free cafe nero/greggs/odeon, so basically going to a a no brainer for me

i got my first one, and already makes a good bit of difference. My HUB3 is in the study room, and i only get full speeds in wifi in that room and the dining room on the floor below where i work. The full 350MB on phone, latop etc using speed test.

Where my samsung TV is my bedroom and my LG OLED TV downstairs the wifi used to work but speeds were slow due to distance number of doors low signal etc.

Putting the pod in the hallway outside of the study rooms where the stairs are has made a massive difference to the WIFI on both TVS, so i think im OK with one pod for now.

That sounds great were they any problems getting these for free and how do you go about getting on 3 pods?

Also would you say areas where you weren't getting full speeds on WiFi you are now able to get with the Pod?

It does seem these are good systems by virgin to give you strong stable connection and speeds around the house.

As currently with the pure crap the hub 3 is I get really bad speeds in the back room and upstairs.

its annoying as even tho i was on o2 chat because of the message, the day after they said they applied it the VM had it straight away but o2 data still not doubled which im less bothered about. and still getting the msg below on my o2. But they did say wait 14 days from when i was on chat to them :

View attachment 67402

Im going to ask to switch down to the 4gb for £6 a month deal (uswitch) so with supercharge it will be 8gb, as the sim was brought for my mum anyways who was paying £10 for 10gb and never using it.

If you actually think about it whether its 6quid or 8 quid per month sim only, ive managed to double my broadband data, save £2/£4 quid month by getting rid of the EE sim, get a wifi pod, also you can basically make the money back with priority on free cafe nero/greggs/odeon, so basically going to a a no brainer for me
This deal atm barring no cashback which sure is great if you manage to get it is brilliant and the best out there atm for the sheer benefits.

Yes you get double data, free BB speed increase and free WiFi pods but the benefits from priority meant to be really good from what I have been told.

BTW how are your data speeds on o2?

inside not great as its my mums phone i havent tried much but just done a speedtest on 4g got 10mbps, and actual phone signal is more stable and clear compared to her EE old sim and my current three sim.

So in terms of best providers for me area in order its vodafone, o2, EE, three.

The reason i switched to three as the 4g abroad is epic under go roam i used in singapore, australia and NZ back in 2019 as felt like a boss when everyone else was waiting for wifi.
But my three signal worse at home compared to how it was in 2019 im going to switch to the 20GB o2 deal as called them up and complained.

You call for broadband support n say u have a black spot once in volt and they post a pod out, but you can order order 1 at a time, so they would only send a 2nd one out if the first pod doesn't do well enough.

In terms of a comparison i do not get full speeds after the pod. So in the 2 problems areas my bedroom TV and lounge TV, speedtest on wifi used to give anything between 2mbps and 40mbps.

Post pods i can get 100mbps if on 4 bar signal to the pod and 140-150 mbps if on a 5 bar signal to the pod (both TVs moving between 4 bar and 5 bar wifi signal in settings). So an improved difference but not full amount, but my main goal to just make the usage smooth on both TVs which this has done.

I'm just looking at this, I was going to upgrade my broadband the other day but if I do, as I am mid contract I would lose my £21 loyalty discount. so didn't bother.

Although I don't need another sim, if I got the 4gb for £6 from O2, that should then give push me from 350 to 500 on vm broadband. The price difference between 350mbps and 500mbps is only £6 anyway so getting the upgrade without losing my loyalty discount so worth thinking about.

On other hand, what happens in 6 months when my VM contract/loyalty discount ends and I want to negotiate a better deal? ie if i said I want to upgrade to 500mb but for a better price and they agreed, would the 500mb they give me include to volt boost, so in reality just getting the 350mbps or would they then use volt to double it to the 1gbps if that makes sense?

Also, if you use the Volt, do they extend one of your contracts to syncronise with the end date of the other contract? ie if I got a 12 month sim from O2, would they then renew my VM contract from the same date for 12 months?

Am I just over thinking it?

i dont think they extend contracts, the FAQs suggest its still 2 separate things, and VM now offer 18 months, so ready as if someone got VM and o2 and left o2 after 12 months then they would still get the supercharged broadband.

Its a good question about VM renewal time, would they view you as only having 350 base? as the 500 is the +1 boost from o2, so if you left o2, would it go down to 350 at followiing VM renewal ?(assuming they held the price).

I think renewal time especially when price goes up in April next year you will have to negotiate the price if you get upgraded to 500mb with volt.

I think if you leave O2 very likely they will downgrade you or just increase your price for the 500mb package.

Your contract for VM will remain it won't extend to a new one unlike the O2 one.

I think renewal time especially when price goes up in April next year you will have to negotiate the price if you get upgraded to 500mb with volt.
yes, will need to renegotiate the price, but will they base their offer on me having 350mbps (which is what my contract is for at the moment) or would they base it on me having 500mbps which would mean higher price, and if they do that can volt be implemented on the new contract to take it up to next level of 1gbps?

yes, will need to renegotiate the price, but will they base their offer on me having 350mbps (which is what my contract is for at the moment) or would they base it on me having 500mbps which would mean higher price, and if they do that can volt be implemented on the new contract to take it up to next level of 1gbps?

Not 100% sure what speed package they will base your price on.

But even if you took a new contract volt can't use that to have two free broadband increases. One is the limit with volt.

The way they are handling this atm, it's anyone's guess.

Too many issue's with the way they have set it up at the moment that should have been taken into account and sorted out before they launched such a high profile campaign.

The way they are handling this atm, it's anyone's guess.

Too many issue's with the way they have set it up at the moment that should have been taken into account and sorted out before they launched such a high profile campaign.

Ye with such a massive merger between both and launching this deal there were always bound to be issues and problems from what people have already described talking to both VM and O2.

My only concern is when price increase happens in April and if I'm on 350mb then I can see price going up and even if I cancel and wait for them to call me not sure if they would give me the 350mb for price I'm paying for 200mb currently.

Not 100% sure what speed package they will base your price on.

But even if you took a new contract volt can't use that to have two free broadband increases. One is the limit with volt.
Yea, I might leave it for now, to many variables that aren't clear.

Ye with such a massive merger between both and launching this deal there were always bound to be issues and problems from what people have already described talking to both VM and O2.

My only concern is when price increase happens in April and if I'm on 350mb then I can see price going up and even if I cancel and wait for them to call me not sure if they would give me the 350mb for price I'm paying for 200mb currently.
From what i've read (and believe me even half of what i've read has been contradicted, let alone what i've been told by VM, only for them to ring me back and correct themselves), if you are on 200mb and it is upped to Volt 350mb, you will remain as having the 200mb package and be charged for that package.

If you leave 02 between now and the end of your VM contract, you will remain on the Volt 350mb until the end of the VM contract, then be downgraded back to 200mb.

If you leave VM between now and the end of your o2 contract, you will keep the double data until the end of the contract, then revert to the data you signed up for.

I've not seen anything anywhere about renewals though.

From what i've read (and believe me even half of what i've read has been contradicted, let alone what i've been told by VM, only for them to ring me back and correct themselves), if you are on 200mb and it is upped to Volt 350mb, you will remain as having the 200mb package and be charged for that package.

If you leave 02 between now and the end of your VM contract, you will remain on the Volt 350mb until the end of the VM contract, then be downgraded back to 200mb.

If you leave VM between now and the end of your o2 contract, you will keep the double data until the end of the contract, then revert to the data you signed up for.

I've not seen anything anywhere about renewals though.
That would make sense tho,
You stay upgraded until both of your contracts end.

Make sure you never take any deals when you call up giving your 30 day notice. Outbound sales will always give you discounts.

Top tip to get your payments down is to call up and cancel even if you've a long contract, just do it then you'll get the outbound team knocking it down, just make something up about it being so bad happy to pay off leave early. You get 30 days before the disconnection so in the unlikely event they don't call up with a begging deal you can call say a few days before and stay with them. Nothing to loose and everything to gain! Don't waver and you'll get discounted.

IMG_20211114_192637.jpg

Make sure you never take any deals when you call up giving your 30 day notice. Outbound sales will always give you discounts.

Top tip to get your payments down is to call up and cancel even if you've a long contract, just do it then you'll get the outbound team knocking it down, just make something up about it being so bad happy to pay off leave early. You get 30 days before the disconnection so in the unlikely event they don't call up with a begging deal you can call say a few days before and stay with them. Nothing to loose and everything to gain! Don't waver and you'll get discounted.

View attachment 67461
Damn thats a good deal for the price

Yeah sounds about right but the reviews of the new Hub are nothing to shout from the rooftops but time will tell with software update roll outs etc

Back