Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

Ive been reading up on canceling then say a partner at the same address who wasn't on the account joining after 30 days. Well, seems like our friends at Virgin are lying saying you cannot get a new deal till 90 days after disconnection so putting people off opening a new account straight away using your partners details not yours. But that means if the same person resigns up he has to wait 90 days to get a good deal, your partner can do it straight away
Good thing about virgin they were one of the few left offering 12 months as most are 18 and 24 months which is too long and since last year think VM went that route.
Virgin only offer 18-24 to all customers no more 12 month contracts

They say you have to give 30 days notice, fine i get that. But they kinda twist it and say you can't have an account for 90 days this is correct but incorrect.
The person who cancels can't open for 90 days but a new person can at the same address.

If this weren't true what would happen if you moved out and you cancelled. Are they trying to say the new home owner/tenants can't have bband because they have to wait 90days due to me cancelling? what a crock of poo.

They are not been honest and if they say different they are misleading you and lying.
I'm cancelling and getting the missus to open an account and use her NHS badge get discount I can save roughly £200 over the course of 18month

I have just renewed VM today as contract was up, was on 100mb with landline for £34pm, now on 200mb & landline at £36pm, its a 12m contract but carries over for 18m before it goes up to full price. I've been with VM for over 10y so know to tell them I'm leaving after the 18m period & they offer a new deal which is always close to what I had.

I have just renewed VM today as contract was up, was on 100mb with landline for £34pm, now on 200mb & landline at £36pm, its a 12m contract but carries over for 18m before it goes up to full price. I've been with VM for over 10y so know to tell them I'm leaving after the 18m period & they offer a new deal which is always close to what I had.

Not bad deal mate.

Few quid extra and get 200mb nice.

They do tend to favour one's who been with them for a very long time as seen prices few guys pay and all differ quite a lot.

Was paying £31 for 18 months for 350MB. Some woman called me up for a 'upgrade' to 500MB for £36. However, I turned it round and said cancel my Contract I'm now paying £19.55 for 100MB. Not sure if she got a rise or fired that day lol

I notice no difference in day to day use. Anything over 50MB for 90% of people is decent in my humble opinion. 50MB for streaming/surfing is fine. However I don't have a house full. @bazcfc1 I think has 50-60MB Connection I think I read a few times and he seems to have 421415 Gadgets running on his Network fine lol

Was paying £31 for 18 months for 350MB. Some woman called me up for a 'upgrade' to 500MB for £36. However, I turned it round and said cancel my Contract I'm now paying £19.55 for 100MB. Not sure if she got a rise or fired that day lol

I notice no difference in day to day use. Anything over 50MB for 90% of people is decent in my humble opinion. 50MB for streaming/surfing is fine. However I don't have a house full. @bazcfc1 I think has 50-60MB Connection I think I read a few times and he seems to have 421415 Gadgets running on his Network fine lol

I agree 200mb speeds and more is utterly pointless for me in my household as I am the only one who heavily uses the internet every day.

100mb what I have is perfect and more than sufficient speeds for the devices connected to the network.

Really sick price you pay for 100mb very few would get that price lol.

I agree 200mb speeds is utterly pointless for me in my household as I am the only one who heavily uses the internet every day.

100mb what I have is perfect and more than sufficient speeds for the devices connected to the network.

Really sick price you pay for 100mb very few would get that price lol.

Funny enough I have a feeling that people that get these deals are already paying less. I think notes on my account is probably 'f*cking whiny bit*h wants everything for free hope he gets hit by a bus'

Funny enough I have a feeling that people that get these deals are already paying less. I think notes on my account is probably 'f*cking whiny bit*h wants everything for free hope he gets hit by a bus'
Dont think so mate.

With such deals some still get screwed over.

For 100mb we still getting shafted I would say.

My mate has 350mb BB and pays £25 while I only get 100mb for that price go figure.

Dont think so mate.

With such deals some still get screwed over.

For 100mb we still getting shafted I would say.

My mate has 350mb BB and pays £25 while I only get 100mb for that price go figure.

£25 isn't bad at all. It's all analytical I think mate. Time of day, month etc

£25 isn't bad at all. It's all analytical I think mate. Time of day, month etc

Possibly but have noticed also some pay silly low prices just because being with VM or NTL/telewest before from the start.

That guy just mentioned been with them for 25+ years and another guy know also and both pay prices that myself and others could only dream of lol.

they want £57 off me from March were as a new customer gets it for £23
Thats not what I got offered. I was told that keeping the phone as a bundle with the TiVo actually makes it cheaper. so for £36 do you have a landline ?. Personally I would have mine ripped out, the only thing I get is ffing Amazon scam twice a day. I'm cancelling and let my wife open an account. the difference is rtoo big £33:99 x 18 months as apposed to £43 for 18months a difference of £162:18 nearly 5 months free

Last edited:
just been through to retentions, stuck up a deal
200mb bband
keep shitty phone
upgrade the TiVo to a V6
£40 a month
deal done
took some bartering, 30 mins back n forth

We should've got upto 63 mbps on sky but was only hitting 36mbps on a good day with about 15 devices connected.
Turned out was a major fault on line couldn't be repaired now left sky and gone with now broadband for speeds our line can handle £23 for fibre 36mbps and phone and calls included.
Can't have vm where I am too ghetto they would dig up road for cable and weigh the fekker in lol

Ii remember a friend in Leeds a good few years ago, dodgey modem and Pace box days who's street was split Virgin one side nothing on the other.and his sister lived across facing him no Virgin. So one day he brought the gear home from work he put cones up and jack hammered across dropped a cable in and up her garden.

He then went as far as installing 5 more houses along the row with dodey modems and dodgey boxes

tickled me

hold out, if you have cancelled, the retention team will call you back in about a week or so, I cancelled end of November, and they phoned me back 3 times and every time I declined as I was testing another provider. In the end I phoned VM back on the last day of my 30 day notice and they offered me 350mb, and phone with weekend calls etc for £38, I was going to be paying £57 if I hadn't cancelled, and the discount is for 18 months.

I will be honest, be it 12/18/24 month contract, what are the chances of you leaving within that time? and we know the prices wont go down in that time so is it a major issue? I've been with them for 20 years, tried other providers now and again but no one beats VM in my opinion so can't see me changing

hold out, if you have cancelled, the retention team will call you back in about a week or so, I cancelled end of November, and they phoned me back 3 times and every time I declined as I was testing another provider. In the end I phoned VM back on the last day of my 30 day notice and they offered me 350mb, and phone with weekend calls etc for £38, I was going to be paying £57 if I hadn't cancelled, and the discount is for 18 months.

I will be honest, be it 12/18/24 month contract, what are the chances of you leaving within that time? and we know the prices wont go down in that time so is it a major issue? I've been with them for 20 years, tried other providers now and again but no one beats VM in my opinion so can't see me changing

From what I gather them and other companies selling different servicee/products usually always do a price increase during the contract term even where they say on the phone you would be exempt from any future price increase.

Yeah exactly the way to do it like ive said numerous times in different threads lol.
As much as you think they are going to cut you off at the end of the notice period it very rarely happens and retensions main job is to retain as many customers as possible and usually you will get near enough the deal you want albeit a few quid here or there.
I do this every year with my car insurance aswell even tho i'm limited to the amount of insurers will give me a quote with heavy modifications etc.
Always have on hand other deals that companies are offering so they know you have done your homework on the current market.

I haven't agreed i said to the guy call me back later ill ask the missus first and I missed his callback while driving.
So, do you think its a good offer
Or
Ask to be cut and see if I get a better offer ?.

I like as mentioned before in this thread someone getting a 12 month contract but a price freeze for 18month but I'm not sure that's possible.
I got offered (not £40 _ £43 a month typo)
Bband 200mbps
Swap out the old TiVo for a V6 basic bog standard package for nothing
Telephone weekend calls.
I went into discussion regarding the £17 telephone rental and how i don't want it.
Seriously, no one in my house ever uses the Virgin telephone.

He then tried to blind me with bundle deals and without the telephone the bband would be £40 on its own !.

Its like bartering at a Turkish street market with no clear individual prices.

Does anyone have a decent deal "without" the telephone line say V6/TiVo plus bband, I'd be interested to know cause I got blagged off into thinking its cheaper to have the phone line in a bundle than not.
£17 a month for something no one uses , crazy.

I haven't agreed i said to the guy call me back later ill ask the missus first and I missed his callback while driving.
So, do you think its a good offer
Or
Ask to be cut and see if I get a better offer ?.

I like as mentioned before in this thread someone getting a 12 month contract but a price freeze for 18month but I'm not sure that's possible.
I got offered (not £40 _ £43 a month typo)
Bband 200mbps
Swap out the old TiVo for a V6 basic bog standard package for nothing
Telephone weekend calls.
I went into discussion regarding the £17 telephone rental and how i don't want it.
Seriously, no one in my house ever uses the Virgin telephone.

He then tried to blind me with bundle deals and without the telephone the bband would be £40 on its own !.

Its like bartering at a Turkish street market with no clear individual prices.

Does anyone have a decent deal "without" the telephone line say V6/TiVo plus bband, I'd be interested to know cause I got blagged off into thinking its cheaper to have the phone line in a bundle than not.
£17 a month for something no one uses , crazy.
I don't know why but they do like you to keep the phone line, I tried getting rid and the price they offered me without it was higher than the one the offerred with the phone. Bonkers really.

My 'discount' is valid for 18 months, but yes the price is likely to go up in that time,I think VM normally put it up £3 or £4 a month once a year. When they inform you there is going to be a price increase I beleive, if memory serves me right, they give you the option to cancel the service rather than take the increase, even if still in contract, but I may be wrong.

If you missed the call, they will call you back, if they don't call you within the 30 days notice period then call them back a day or two before you are due to get cut off. I would give them the 30 day notice to cut you off and then see what they come back with in the next week .

I was looking at getting fttp but the backlog is near 3 months before it can get installed. Vm told me you can get a rolling month contract up until your new connection date so you aren't without Internet. Cancelled and ended up accepting the retentions call and staying with VM. Better the devil you know lol

Back