Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

So you cancelled then a day or two later retentions rang you back ?. I only say this because the difference between a Virgin operator ringing you, retentions ringing before you've told them your leaving and a member of retentions ringing you but only after you've confirmed your leaving is night and day.

I had a Virgin a op ring me twice before I told them I was leaving and then a retentions guy called and he only offered me the same as the Virgin guy £43.

But I then cancelled and told them I am 100% leaving and gave them the required 30 day notice. The next day after saying I was leaving retentions phoned me and offered the same deal as the Virgin op but for £32, a difference of £198 over 18months.
I only say this so others are clear on which people to speak and get deals from at Virgin.

Normal Virgin op or retentions without telling them your leaving = sh*t deal

Rententions team but only after you've told them you are 100% leaving and you give them a 30 day notice (they call you confirm its retentions)= best deal
As l said l got through with button presses at around 8.00 pm by pressing button '4' Do you wan to leave was questioned why so l explained l didnt use the tv or fon and was not going to pay double at the increase mid march which would be £66.00 so cancelled. A new contract was agreed there and then with the only difference being 18mths instead of 12 and £35 pm instead of £33. l still won't be useing the Phone or TV as they are disconnected and boxed for collection. (The old contract and the new one sorted within 45mins) ((Check Post 58)) l should have said that button 4 took me straight through to Retentions .

Last edited:
Get ya , the normal process is:
You ring and cancel they hang up
Day or two later retentions call you.
If
When you first call you say "Im thinking of leaving" they try then they put you through to retentions but you haven't actually activated the leave policy.
They put you through to retentions who then try and pursaude you to stop and offer you a deal.
This deal is not the same as when you've left and they ring you back.
Theres 2 versions of rentention
Pre leave and after you've actually left and they call you.
The first time I rang and told them I'm on about leaving I got put through to retentions (before I left) and got a poor offer.
Only when I left I got the best deal, when they called me

Get ya , the normal process is:
You ring and cancel they hang up
Day or two later retentions call you.
If
When you first call you say "Im thinking of leaving" they try then they put you through to retentions but you haven't actually activated the leave policy.
They put you through to retentions who then try and pursaude you to stop and offer you a deal.
This deal is not the same as when you've left and they ring you back.
Theres 2 versions of rentention
Pre leave and after you've actually left and they call you.
The first time I rang and told them I'm on about leaving I got put through to retentions (before I left) and got a poor offer.
Only when I left I got the best deal, when they called me
With the automated button presses was-- if you want to leave press button 4 which l did and was answered immediatley by a very helpfull young lady from north of the border and l was bound by her spell which left me helpless and all l could say was yes(y):smiley:.Then she said she would email me details........Which she did. Do you think you are doing it wrong??

Looks like my saga hasnt ended,. Just checked my email and I have an email from Virgin listing the changes to my account then at the bottom
VirginMedia_email-4-2
There is also a one-off charge of £35.00 for installation or activation.

Me thinks not ! There was no mention what so ever of any £35 charge on the phone so both barrels in the morning

Compare the market 100mg virgin bb £24 month 18 month contract with £75 voucher takes it down to£20.just leave and get someone else in household to sign up.

Just come off the phone, the £35 was for the V6 box set up fee something the guy at retentions conveniently forgot to tell me about.
Instead he told me I would get the V6 for free as an upgrade from the older TiVo box.
I asked to be put through to retentions again who decided to waiver the £35 as the guy from retentions had failed to inform me about this when I set up my new package deal.

Just be careful guys and check your mail as it was how I found out.

When my wife was discussing us leaving TalkTalk with virgin media rep he told her to go to uswitch first then get back to him :smiley:
Have you looked at the download speed on some them, its like going back in time. Most cant even offer over a 100meg line nevermind a 200mbps line

Have you looked at the download speed on some them, its like going back in time. Most cant even offer over a 100meg line nevermind a 200mbps line
at the time when we looked our 200m + sim + free installation £29 that maybe wrong section :smiley:

VM tried to put mine up to £73pm starting in March. Rang yesterday threatened to leave, they gave me the same deal for £50pm on 18 month contract.
They are like insurance companies they try it on hoping 50% of people aren't bothered and stay with them at new prices, if you threaten to leave magically they put their prices down

What kills me is, on the Virgin media forums a so called independent forum for Virgin but its on their site. There's a gang of users replying as Joe Public some with in excess of 35,000 replies as fookin if.
If you pose the question about leaving and calling Virgins bluff or cancelling and getting the wife to sign these guys are 2 minutes behind your comment scare mongering.

They start off telling a tale on how a friend tried it and got booted off Virgin bband and others say you can't do it. Then one guy said :
"No you can't if you cancel then you or your wife cannot sign for 90 days even if she wasn't named on the account. Do you want 3 months no online services, kids going nuts, ?"
Unreal honestly paid by Virgin to sh1t u up.
1) wait till your deal has 30 days left to go and ring them up,
2) Say, monies tight and you can't afford it,
3) They will put you through to retentions but say "NO" to any offer even if it sounds tempting. Its not thier best offer and why? YOU HAVE NOT OFFICALLY LEFT VIRGIN YET so say its still too dear please cut me off,
4) Let them read you the details of the deactivation date make sure they've got your phone number then hang up,
5) Sit back, they normally ring within 48 hours.
6) Make sure (very important) you are speaking to retentions they smash out a deal.
7) Make sure they waiver any installation or activation charges and check this via the email they will send you of your new deals

Last edited:
my 100mb package was going at £44 a month and the contract was up end of feb..... they wanted £54 a month out of contract....

I have changed to the VM Business Vroom package... 350mb for £32 a month 24 month package... broadband only tho, no phone or tv which suits me fine...

Just done a speedtest without the vpn and its 308mb down 10mb down.

also got a new Hilton router which the engiineer said was miles better than the hub3

Well done, tbh I would have looked at something like that but the other half wanted a box to tape her crap on, something simple.
I suggested the V6
Which is "Idiot friendly" :)

Does the price increase date differ for everyone?

No letter or email from them even now when going up.

Most likely will cancel and give the 30 days notice see if anything good comes from it, but experience with these companies is rarely got "good" deals.

Does the price increase date differ for everyone?

No letter or email from them even now when going up.

Most likely will cancel and give the 30 days notice see if anything good comes from it, but experience with these companies is rarely got "good" deals.
I would anyway, if your deals up give them notice and hang up. They "will" 100% try to thrash you a deal out there and then before you officially cancel but you must resist their offer.
I promise they will definitely ring you back.

They put my 100mb up to 36 pound a month as of next month, mange to get them down to 28. Should I have cancelled or would that be as low as it would have went.

They put my 100mb up to 36 pound a month as of next month, mange to get them down to 28. Should I have cancelled or would that be as low as it would have went.

The common consensus is if you cancel and give them the notice you would get the best deal possible even more so where you don't cancel and they give you an offer.

Back