Retuning Freeview Channels on Smart TV.

argenta

In the past while almost a year in the Belfast area we have had to retune the reception our TVs 3 times. We are served by 2 transmitters. The problem is that each time there is a retune there are less channels that are in use. I have contacted Freeview 3 times and each time they are as helpful as a chocolate teapot. To the extent they are blaming the public for their inability to get their channels.

For example I explained the different channels that are no longer available so they sent out 2 technicians who did tests on my setup. Which they said was working perfectly but confirmed that I was right the channels were missing. Now under the conditions mentioned on Freeview's web site it states if the customer is not responsible for not receiving the channels after a retune they will pay for a new aerial. Except that they are doing no such thing. Reason being that they will be updating their service again soon. Soon meaning they don't know when it will be finished if at all.

When this started they did not contact their cutomers here to explain their initial work, whereby I thought my aerial was at fault and paid for a new one with a booster. Only to find that I had wasted my money. Today after contacting them again I was told it will I have to retune it again in March. Here we go again, but I will still be having the same problem until our local transmitter is updated. But that the Government who started this mess in order to facilitate 5G mobile phones does the work to the said transmitter. But that there is no such work planned in the near future. So I was wondering if others had a similar problem in their areas? Be interested to find out any info on this.

I installed my own system at home
My freeview transmitter is divis
32element wideband areil
Mounted vertical with a wideband masthead amplifer
My r.t.e transmitter is clarimount cairn
32 element wideband With wideband amplifer
Mounted horizontally
With k/cd diplexer powered pass through both
Legs
12volt Power unit fitted at the t.v
With a freeview scan pick up all the available
Channels including r.t.e channel 51/52
H.d channels 101 102 103 etc
The saroview channels are up in the 700
Virgin media is 810 which use to be t.v3
The big change is the use off the wideband
Amplifer to pick up the high end off the u.h.f scale

I installed my own system at home
My freeview transmitter is divis
32element wideband areil
Mounted vertical with a wideband masthead amplifer
My r.t.e transmitter is clarimount cairn
32 element wideband With wideband amplifer
Mounted horizontally
With k/cd diplexer powered pass through both
Legs
12volt Power unit fitted at the t.v
With a freeview scan pick up all the available
Channels including r.t.e channel 51/52
H.d channels 101 102 103 etc
The saroview channels are up in the 700
Virgin media is 810 which use to be t.v3
The big change is the use off the wideband
Amplifer to pick up the high end off the u.h.f scale
Hi Thanks for your reply. It would seem to be that my setup is being served by the Blackmountain mast which Freeview has told me that it cannot transmit all the stations that are needed and that there is no up coming fix for this mast. We had the same problem with our aerials when we moved into our estate we all had to buy new aerials and get boosters to get our channels because of the same reason. In particular they have said we will have trouble with the HD channels. There is also a notice on the RTE channel Guide saying Viewer Advisory to retune every time you change to the channel.

Also for instance we can get RTE2+1HD but not RTE2HD Yet tonight I checked and found that RTE1 and RTE2 non HD is back up and not pixilating as usual. To be honest the people on the Freeview help line are not technical from what I can gather. Not that I'm much better to be fair. I also don't want to be buying another aerial at £100 a go for installation with another threatened retune to go in March. Regards.

Last edited:
You could have used the divis transmitter
E

Might need to fit a filter to your Ariel system
When 5 G becomes more available to stop
Interference with your uhf signal

5G wil be using the 700 MHz band (694 to 790 MHz) or channels 49 - 60, any tv on these channels will be either removed or moved somewhere between 21- 48, I get RTE from Sligo & had it on 53 & 57, now I get it on 42 & 45, according to Wikipedia "Clermont Cairn" has RTE on 42 & 45 as well.
The com 7 & com 8 Freeview channels on the DIVIS Transmitter will be removed.

divis.jpg

Last edited:
Good spot mike just noticed that August 2020
Was the cut off for divis
Time to get the t.v meter on the go again
With the wideband Amplifer fitted to my
Clermont Cairn areil I can recieve freeview
Channels from that transmitter
If you have a group c/d areil for Clermount Cairn You might have to change to wideband
And wideband masthead amplifer
Money making scheme for installers

Thanks for all your contributions. All I do know is that Freeview "help line" and the two techs they sent out to my home said to wait until 4th or 5th of March to retune the TV. I also forgot to mention the Samsung TV problem with it's in built channel list format which is inhibiting the retune updates as well. So I will wait before shelling out any more money on aerials at this stage. Thanks again everyone.

Back