Revamped Champions League

36red

So We are getting a new champions league format apparently and about time too.
I'm sick of these local fans of small village teams crying about losing revenue etc.
They leech off the big 6 and would otherwise go under.
Money rules the game as it does in most things in life.
Bin the 3 handled cup and make the premier league 12 teams and lets get a proper european league up and running.
I want to see the best in the world every week not some yoyo team from the championship, fed up!

Manchester United once went 41 years without winning a trophy, if your suggestion happened in that time it'd have been very difficult for them to become the club they are now as the "big clubs" would have got further out of reach.

Manchester United once went 41 years without winning a trophy, if your suggestion happened in that time it'd have been very difficult for them to become the club they are now as the "big clubs" would have got further out of reach.
Oh what 41 year time span was that then please enlighten me.

Just for the record, in that 41 years ( 1911 to 1952 ), there was 2 World Wars 4 years and 6 years so for 10 years no football !, just saying lol.

Personally think the new format will be terrible. Extra group matches being played is going to be more boring matches.

Longer tournament is not a positive for me.

Well you made a statement and I've copied and pasted the honours list from Wikipedia so where is this 41 year gap without a trophy?
Not being confrontational just asking a question, please enlighten me.

Well you made a statement and I've copied and pasted the honours list from Wikipedia so where is this 41 year gap without a trophy?
Not being confrontational just asking a question, please enlighten me.

Apologies, 41 years without a top league title. (I'm sorry that you couldn't work that out for yourself from the honours list you posted)

Apologies, 41 years without a top league title. (I'm sorry that you couldn't work that out for yourself from the honours list you posted)
You said "trophy" and that's what I was looking for a 41 year gap with no "trophy" but I take your point.
Trophies and success seems to come in phases to teams, Liverpool had a good run 70s to 80's, Everton had a few years of success, then Arsenal then United had a good run, then Chelsea came into the picture under Jose and now we have City as top dogs. In between we have had Blackburn and Leicester as title winners. I don't know which team will be next to go on a great trophy haul but if a rich owner gets behind a team anything is possible.

I don't know which team will be next to go on a great trophy haul but if a rich owner gets behind a team anything is possible.

The rich owners would be far less likely to invest in English clubs who were outside a 12 team Premier League though.

I think you need another sport , if your not happy watching premier league games .Not every game can be super exciting even European games . If you remove the promotion / relegation side of the game you remove a lot of excitement , the game will go sterile and die , the European cups/leagues need to shrink to give the top teams a bit of a breather. Can’t call it the Champions league and then let teams who finish half way down the league in.

I think you need another sport , if your not happy watching premier league games .Not every game can be super exciting even European games . If you remove the promotion / relegation side of the game you remove a lot of excitement , the game will go sterile and die , the European cups/leagues need to shrink to give the top teams a bit of a breather. Can’t call it the Champions league and then let teams who finish half way down the league in.
Point taken.It's called a League because that is what is has beocme, it's not a European Cup contested by champipns of each country anymore it's the way of the world.
Some of the premier league games are garbage in my opinion of course, for every 0-0 each team should be deducted points that would liven it up a bit.
Also regarding promotion and relegation that's a complete farce too as the team who finishes 6th get a chance to be promoted, play at Wembley and lift a trophy while the team who finished third with more points get nothing. To celebrate survival in the premier league is also laughable, a lot of the teams who manage to scrape out in the last few weeks by playing like Brazil could have been much higher in the league had they put in that effort for the full 38 games.
I am all for change and advancement in life, if we didn't have it there would be no internet, HD tv, electric cars the list goes on and on.
Too many dinosaurs still roaming the planet.

Not everyone wants to support a big club , survival in the premier league is worth a lot of money and an achievement .
I never suggested everyone should support a big club I'm personally wouldn't go to watch the smaller clubs but that's just me.
Another thing that makes me laugh is when a player leave a club and fans say he has not been loyal lol, players play fore money, it's a job, offer them more money and they will play for anyone a simple fact of economics. Of course the players will tell the fans any old cock n bull to keep on the right side of them, again that's life.

I never suggested everyone should support a big club I'm personally wouldn't go to watch the smaller clubs but that's just me.
Another thing that makes me laugh is when a player leave a club and fans say he has not been loyal lol, players play fore money, it's a job, offer them more money and they will play for anyone a simple fact of economics. Of course the players will tell the fans any old cock n bull to keep on the right side of them, again that's life.

Tbh football is a business nowadays so can't expect players to be loyal. Not like players from decades and decades ago who wore the club on their sleeve.

Tbh football is a business nowadays so can't expect players to be loyal. Not like players from decades and decades ago who wore the club on their sleeve.
And travelled to the match on the bus with the fans and then on Sunday mornings watched the fans playing on the local park.

And you could leave your back door open and not get burgled as well :laughing: and give cheeky kids a clip round the ear without being reported to social services. And years before that send those kids up chimneys to get rid of the soot too.

And travelled to the match on the bus with the fans and then on Sunday mornings watched the fans playing on the local park.

And you could leave your back door open and not get burgled as well :laughing: and give cheeky kids a clip round the ear without being reported to social services. And years before that send those kids up chimneys to get rid of the soot too.

How things have changed since those days. Could argue sense of hard work and graft isn't what it used to be.

In the football world today they just don't have the love for the club as players of the past who would die for their club. Today's players are more like mercenaries. Just way the game has involved whether anyone's likes it or not.

Mercenaries is the perfect world but remembering it's a short career and a well paid job I'd do the same if I was in their shoes. Family and security number one every time.

Back