Router/switch recommendations

Malbrega

Hi All,

We've just finished an extension and found that the wifi in the extnesion is down right terrible, fortuantely we planned ahead and had an ethernet cable ran during the works.

We have virgin media and their hub 4 - unfortuantely its currently installed into a cupboard under the stairs (looking to get this moved but virgin are being awkward).

I was looking for recommendations on device(s) that I can use to improve things. thinking a wifi-router near the virgin hub, and a wifi/lan switch or such like in the extension (will have gaming devices that i'd prefer were ethernet connected).

Thank you in advance.

The netgear orbis always seem to be a good choice, I used deco mesh system for a while, only issue was they weren't wifi6

@Malbrega it also depends on your current virmin media contract you may not need wifi 6 I have new virmin media hub 5 but none of my other devices are wifi 6 capable and my contract with virmin is only 250 Mbit/s so still I use deco M4 mesh system best thing I did invest in thing they were £89 for twin pack at the time a few years back., my wifi speed doubled upstairs rather than using virming hub4 or the hub5 and also 1GB ethernet ports on the decos so I also have 4 port ethernet hubs installed to feed devices from the decos

Hi All,

We've just finished an extension and found that the wifi in the extnesion is down right terrible, fortuantely we planned ahead and had an ethernet cable ran during the works.

We have virgin media and their hub 4 - unfortuantely its currently installed into a cupboard under the stairs (looking to get this moved but virgin are being awkward).

I was looking for recommendations on device(s) that I can use to improve things. thinking a wifi-router near the virgin hub, and a wifi/lan switch or such like in the extension (will have gaming devices that i'd prefer were ethernet connected).

Thank you in advance.
Home plugs are crap. Put your router into modem only mode. Hook up a decent router like a Draytek 2927ac an then hard wire to a Draytek VigorAP 903 in the extension and mesh them.

Home plugs are crap. Put your router into modem only mode. Hook up a decent router like a Draytek 2927ac an then hard wire to a Draytek VigorAP 903 in the extension and mesh them.
Why the need for expensive router when not needed at 250 Mbit/s connection no advantage Decos will do just fine with virmin router in modem mode.

Back