Royal Mint commemorates Bobby Robson

Knotaclu

VIP Member
The Royal Mint is pleased to announce that Sir Bobby Robson is to be honoured with a special medal to commemorate the life and times of the much-loved former Ipswich Town, Newcastle United, Barcelona and England manager.
Robson_Mint.jpg

"Traditionally the Royal Mint marks the passing of prominent members of the Royal Family in this way. But we believe it right to extend the honour to Sir Bobby," said Dave Knight, Director of Commemorative Coin at the Royal Mint.

"The genuine emotion felt throughout the nation at his passing, not just amongst football fans, demonstrated a degree of heartfelt affection for a man that achieved iconic status throughout the United Kingdom."

The Royal Mint agreed with Lady Robson that this is an appropriate way in which to commemorate his life, and will be donating a portion of the proceeds from sales of the medal to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation which raises money for the early detection and treatment of cancer.

Former England football star Gary Lineker also agreed, saying:

"I feel very proud to have played for the only football manager to be honoured by the Royal Mint. His warmth extended beyond the bounds of football and he will be sorely missed by the whole nation."

Sir Bobby died on 31 July 2009 after a courageous 17-year battle against cancer.

The Royal Mint hopes this medal will afford a fitting tribute not just for those who wish to remember the career of a great football hero, but also for those who were inspired by Sir Bobby's enduring charisma and grace.

"Our family was overwhelmed by the kind words from all over the world at the passing of my husband," said Lady Robson, Sir Bobby's widow.

"Bobby's thirst for life was unquenchable and I'm sure he would be delighted to know that his Foundation will benefit as a result of sales of this beautiful medal."

The obverse of the medal features a portrait of Sir Bobby Robson and the reverse features the clubs Sir Bobby managed or played for, adorned with football scarves.

For further information or to purchase a medal, please visit The Royal Mint - Shop online for limited edition collector coins, medals, jewellery and gifts or call the Royal Mint Customer Services Team on 0845 60 88 222.

Back