Ruling In Wayne Rooney Agent Court Case

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wayne Rooney has been ordered to pay only nominal damages after his former football agency tried to sue him for £4.3m.

117.jpg

Wayne Rooney in action at the World Cup in South Africa last month

The England player, who followed the case from Barbados - where he is on holiday with his family, was taken to court by sports management firm Proactive.

It said he was not justified in keeping the the commission on multimillion-pound deals brokered by the firm when it represented him.

During his time at Proactive, Rooney was looked after by agent Paul Stretford, a director and founder of the firm.

However, Mr Stretford left in October 2008 following bitter rows - taking with him their star client and the revenue his fame generated.

Judge Brendan Hegarty QC, who postponed his ruling until after the World Cup, said the original contract Rooney signed with Proactive amounted to a "restraint of trade" as it was up to eight years long when the FA recommended a maximum of two years.

Commenting on the outcome, Rooney said he was "delighted" to have won the case.

"I was stunned when Proactive, which is now part of James Grant Group, claimed in court that Coleen and I owed them at first £8.3 million and then £4.5 million pounds," he said.

""Coleen and I have always been happy to pay all commissions due to the people who were owed them.

"But these sums were a joke and we felt they were just an attempt to exploit us."

Back