Sat Receiver and C-line from the start

Hi,

Obviously there are many different threads on this throughout the forum which i have had a look at to form an opinion on the best way to proceed but i'd like to gather your updated opinions on this one.

I currently have a dreambox800se with a c-line which was given to me and is maintained (when required) by a work colleague. I am looking to take ownership of the maintenance part of this in the near future when the c-line is up for renewal. However, the dreambox seems slightly over engineered for its purpose and i am toying with the idea of either 1.) finding a suitable c-line replacement for uk sky tv on the current dreambox or 2.) buying a new receiver and finding a suitable c-line and doing it all myself.

I have had a look through the various options for a new receiver available on these forums, and a skybox appears to be on held in high esteem. Is this still the case or are there better alternatives? Ideally, i dont mind buying a new receiver and have to install the image myself, but if the skybox comes readily installed and all i have to do is sort the c-line this seems a better option. Having said that, i am interested in learning the process of installing the image to the received. But then again, it would be a case or trial an error.

Also i would need to source the best software to install the image, c-line etc from a macbook.

What do you think? A bit of a scatty post this, as i'm unsure on how to proceed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

skybox has never been held in high esteem. they are a good box for the bedroom. i would stick with the dreambox.

they are very basic i had a f3 and soon grew out of it. if you get a genuine one they do what they say on the tin. there are known issues with the 7 day epg. however, this has nothing to do with the box. it is the fact they use xmltv providers and that server is not that good. if you want value for money go for the octagon sf8. if you dont mind a very basic sat box a f5s may be ok for your needs.

Back