Satellite and Terrestrial Streaming on LAN

firewire

Hi all
Hopefully, someone might be able to recommend a system/solution for my requirements.
I am based in Ireland and want to receive Terrestrial and Freesat channels to one central point and distribute them to all user points in the home. Will be using Firesticks, tablets and a Samsung Smart TV to receive the data.
I have not managed to find a recommendation for the receiver and a guide on how to configure such to distribute the signal to the user points. It is my hope that Apps such as Kodi or IPTV can be used at the user points. Is this possible or is some other kind of box needed at these user points?

If I understand correctly a multistream receiver would allow for multiple feeds of a sat/ter signal and therefore a PVR could also be added (it would be possible to get maybe 4 signals distributing - this would be sufficient but more would be a bonus)

Any advice would be most welcome. Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks

It is possible with enigma2 devices and some gigblue boxes have SAT>iP, Multiroom Server function plus there is app for android but not ideal.
But even on most enigma2 devices you can setup other device without even being connected to satellite or terrestrial , remotechannelstreamconverter is on plugin it will copy your current bouquets and channels to the other devices via home network.

It is possible with enigma2 devices and some gigblue boxes have SAT>iP, Multiroom Server function plus there is app for android but not ideal.
But even on most enigma2 devices you can setup other device without even being connected to satellite or terrestrial , remotechannelstreamconverter is on plugin it will copy your current bouquets and channels to the other devices via home network.

Thanks Urie.
I'll look into the options. All I am after is the Free to Air channels in Ireland and Freesat. It is such a minefield out there trying to figure out what is the best solution. I saw a blog post about someone using a Raspberry Pi, Telestar Digibit R1, a DVB-T USB adapter and TVHeadEnd. This is an ideal setup but I can't find the Digibit R1 or anything similar (maybe an Edison of Mira box would work - I'm just lost).

A big part of what I want is a very simple EPG with the satellite and the Terrestrial channels grouped into one list for my elderly parents who are having trouble navigating between Sat and Ter atm. A PVR capability would be a plus.

All the help and suggestions that everyone provides are very much appreciated

Many thanks

I went old skool sat and saorview to rooms with tv having cables for both.
Split Saorview feed via splitter to tv and box means i can view on tv and record on box H7s

If your internet goes down does firestick still work ??
Freesat and Saorview does

Sometimes old skool is needed without blowing a raspberry.
Forgot to ask if near a transmitter an indoor unpowered aerial is good.
Hmm i forgot i added an 8 pot Saorview splitter in attic and forgot about it with indoor attic aerial but had issues turning out bad cable
When Sat installer was here he fitted outdoor aerial also.

I went old skool sat and saorview to rooms with tv having cables for both.
Split Saorview feed via splitter to tv and box means i can view on tv and record on box H7s

If your internet goes down does firestick still work ??
Freesat and Saorview does

Sometimes old skool is needed without blowing a raspberry.
That is the current configuration, however Coax feeds are poor picture quality, and the interface is difficult for parents. Need to simplify the interface.

Internet doesn't play a part if only sending signals around a local LAN/Wifi

You could use an E2 box those wideband tuners and just set up other E2 boxes as clients,
I think that would be the simplest solution, but perhaps not the cheapest.

That is the current configuration, however Coax feeds are poor picture quality, and the interface is difficult for parents. Need to simplify the interface.

Internet doesn't play a part if only sending signals around a local LAN/Wifi
So sat cables and coaxial cables are old and dish slightly off ??
Wondering what box and quality of hdmi cable in use.

If I understand correctly a multistream receiver would allow for multiple feeds of a sat/ter signal and therefore a PVR could also be added (it would be possible to get maybe 4 signals distributing - this would be sufficient but more would be a bonus)

Multistream is a type of broadcasting format/service used in France, Italy etc.

You might have been mixed up with receiver like the Gigablue UE 4K, VU+ Duo 4K (I think). They have FBC tuners, and when combined with a Unicable LNB, allow multiple channels to be watched/recorded (I think it is up to 8, but I am not sure). Only one connection/wire from the dish/lnb is needed for a FBC receiver with a Unicable LNB.

You might have been mixed up with receiver like the Gigablue UE 4K, VU+ Duo 4K (I think). They have FBC tuners, and when combined with a Unicable LNB, allow multiple channels to be watched/recorded (I think it is up to 8, but I am not sure). Only one connection/wire from the dish/lnb is needed for a FBC receiver with a Unicable LNB.
OK that clears that up for me. Now I understand that only one cable is required which is what I was getting at ;)

You can use Opewebif to generate an M3U8 file from your channel bouquets on an enigma2 receiver. Copy this onto the sd card of your Firestick or whatever web based device you're using to watch channels directly from your box's tuner over LAN at home or WAN on the go via an IPTV app and VLC player.

This third party app 'ANDR' is particularly useful for watching channels from the tuner of an e2 box over an Android device.

Just input your LAN or WAN address, root, password and select enigma2 on the dropdown in settings then save and all bouquets from your box's Favourites section will load up and play on your Android device in VLC.

If like myself you have your channel numbers beginning with 101 you may notice there's a few spaces between some of the channels but don't worry no channels are missing it just includes every channel even those that don't have an actual name or number eg. there's 100 missing spaces accounting for channels 1-100 before BBC One on 101. This can be worked around by numbering your channels from ch1 upwards. Satellites can be added to the list by assigning them as bouquets on the box so that they duplicate in the Favourites section.

E2 box > e2 box is of course another option but considering most people usually have some kind of Android device or Firestick laying about and assuming you do then I'd suggest testing this method initially.

Attachments

• ANDR-tillekesoft.AndroidDreamer-0.70-23.zip
    250.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This third party app 'ANDR' is particularly useful for watching channels from the tuner of an e2 box over an Android device.

Just input your LAN or WAN address, root, password and select enigma2 on the dropdown in settings then save and all bouquets from your box's Favourites section will load up and play on your Android device in VLC.

If like myself you have your channel numbers beginning with 101 you may notice there's a few spaces between some of the channels but don't worry no channels are missing it just includes every channel even those that don't have an actual name or number eg. there's 100 missing spaces accounting for channels 1-100 before BBC One on 101. This can be worked around by numbering your channels from ch1 upwards. Satellites can be added to the list by assigning them as bouquets on the box so that they duplicate in the Favourites section.

E2 box > e2 box is of course another option but considering most people usually have some kind of Android device or Firestick laying about and assuming you do then I'd suggest testing this method initially.

Thanks for both replies Kurdt

I am going to do some testing over the next few days when I get time again.

Would you have an Enigma2 receiver that you would recommend?

My ideal setup would be the Enigma2 serving both Freesat and Terrestrial channels to a firestick using an app. If I understand your first post above, this is possible.

I use dreamdroid to stream the enigma2 box to the bedroom firestick sometimes,but it occasionally causes the enigma 2 box to crash,so the enigma2 box needs to be restarted for it to work again,I'm using an old enigma 2 box so don't know what a latest box would be like.

How many tuners do you need of each (sat and terrestrial)? @firewire
Not entirely sure.

I guess something like what you suggested above would be good. Just need terrestrial is mostly for elderly parents (ability to record would be good) then two sat feeds else where ;)

Not entirely sure.

I guess something like what you suggested above would be good. Just need terrestrial is mostly for elderly parents (ability to record would be good) then two sat feeds else where ;)
If you want 2 sat feeds, then an an Octagon SF8008 Twin would work. You can add an Xbox DVB-T2 tuner to it for about a fiver to get one terrestrial tuner. (You could in theory add more, but it needs to be added to the USB 3.0 port rather than the USB 2.0 port for max performance. A USB 3.0 hub with a second Xbox tuner may work - I have not tried it myself).

But something like a Gigablue UE 4K might be better for you. You can pair that with the uniciable LNB and get 8 tuners (I think). And then add in the optional Dual DVB-T2 tuner to it (fyi, the Xbox tuner will not work with the Gigablue).

Fyi - the Octagon uses Hisilicon chips, so the video is a bit slow for the first second or two when changing channels. The Gigablue doesn't have this issue.

Hi all
Hopefully, someone might be able to recommend a system/solution for my requirements.
I am based in Ireland and want to receive Terrestrial and Freesat channels to one central point and distribute them to all user points in the home. Will be using Firesticks, tablets and a Samsung Smart TV to receive the data.
I have not managed to find a recommendation for the receiver and a guide on how to configure such to distribute the signal to the user points. It is my hope that Apps such as Kodi or IPTV can be used at the user points. Is this possible or is some other kind of box needed at these user points?

Any advice would be most welcome. Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks
Since 2018 I have this SATELLITE & BROADBAND SYSTEM in Dublin:
1M Satellite Dish, Multi Block, 4 LNBs (13.0E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E).
DAB/FM Terrestial TV Aerial.
Emp-Centauri Profi MS17/16 PIU Satellite & Terrestrial Multi-Switch.
HP 1410-24G J9561A 24-Port Network Switch for Broadband.
MK K3565DABWHI Wallplates for Satellite, Terrestial TV & Broadband.
Coaxial Cable from Terrestrial Aerial to Multiswitch.
Satellite Cable from Satellite Dish to Multiswitch & from Multiswitch to MK Wallplates.
Cat6 Cable from Broadband Router to Network Switch & from Network Switch to MK K3565DABWHI Wallplates.
I use Zgemma Combo receivers for Satellite, Terrestrial & IPTV Channels.

Attachments

• 25CW PAN8.jpg
    25CW PAN8.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 33
Since 2018 I have this SATELLITE & BROADBAND SYSTEM in Dublin:
1M Satellite Dish, Multi Block, 4 LNBs (13.0E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E).
DAB/FM Terrestial TV Aerial.
Emp-Centauri Profi MS17/16 PIU Satellite & Terrestrial Multi-Switch.
HP 1410-24G J9561A 24-Port Network Switch for Broadband.
MK K3565DABWHI Wallplates for Satellite, Terrestial TV & Broadband.
Coaxial Cable from Terrestrial Aerial to Multiswitch.
Satellite Cable from Satellite Dish to Multiswitch & from Multiswitch to MK Wallplates.
Cat6 Cable from Broadband Router to Network Switch & from Network Switch to MK K3565DABWHI Wallplates.
I use Zgemma Combo receivers for Satellite, Terrestrial & IPTV Channels.

Wow, how many miles of cable do you have there??

Last edited:
Back