Satellite dish size

urie

TK Veteran
I'm going to keep normal sly standard dish for sly box downstairs and get seperate motorised dish for my zgemma combo.
Looking at the Technomate ones on World of Satellite they do 80cm to 97cm dishes solid or mesh packages. Want try euro sats e.t.c any idea what minimum size of dish I could get away with in Ayr, Scotland. or What satellites will be available. And am I better getting quad lnb just incase I upgrade my box.

Another point the single lnb that comes with the pack is a Technomate 0.2db Single LNB but I see they are advertising GT-Sat GT-QDL1 Universal Quad Compact LNB 0.1db is that better lnb will it fit Technomate lnb holder.

Last edited:
Cheers grahamer67 , was hoping to get away with smaller dish just for appearances next to smaller sly dish but don't matter just wondering what wife will say :LOL:
but I had larger dish 20 odd years back when i had an appolo box watching foreign then with subtitles :laughing:

I have motorised, I really only use sats 0.8w , 4.8e, 9.e, 13.e, 16.e, 19.e and 23.e, I only really use 0.8w, 13 and 19e most of the time though, I have a seperate fixed dish connected to the box too for 28e(sky}. A 80 cm dish may do the job , but that 97cm one looks ok.

Is there much advantage in getting one of the technomate gold lnbs rather than the technomate universal one supplied. Just trying to get things i.e. sorted out before I order it tommorrow or tonight.

@grahamer67 is there any satelite settings I should load in from plugins first or do I just try and align disk and scan or blind scan. This will be my first motorised system so just looking for some hints.

@grahamer67 is there any satelite settings I should load in from plugins first or do I just try and align disk and scan or blind scan. This will be my first motorised system so just looking for some hints.
Its a job mate, get yourself a sat meter, no matter what way I say to do it, plenty of others will come on and say different, try using www. dishpointer to start with and try to find out there what sat is best for you to try setting up for, theres a few threads on the subject on here.

Its a job mate, get yourself a sat meter, no matter what way I say to do it, plenty of others will come on and say different, try using www. dishpointer to start with and try to find out there what sat is best for you to try setting up for, theres a few threads on the subject on here.
Yes I will by a sat meter I and have a few apps downloaded onto my phone where you login to sat box and you can see tv channel e.t.c

Make sure you set the pole up on the wall straight and flush, slightest bit off and your beat, after that its a matter of facing the motor and dish true south, get your allevation right and that will be you started, but be warned you will need plenty of patience, 8 times out of 10, I have always set up for 0.8w thor, but its not always the case, suppose it depends where you are situated really.

Cactikids right there, but hopefully you have a clear line of sight, there are a few guys on here that know plenty about setting up, linesman66 comes to mind, there are others though.

Back