Satellite or cable - newbie

Hi all
Looking to buy a box, but wondering if anyone recommends a box for slytv or virmin? One better /easier than other? Would I need to have cable broadband for cable? I have by fibre.

I have the set up at home for either and will be mainly wanting for watching football/sports, kids TV, and general viewing.

Input welcome
Stepheb

Personally, I'd go for Sly as there's more channel choice - lines are usually cheaper and you can watch one channel and record another on the Zgemma H2s box if you did want this box of course. The Zgemma H2H box isn't very good for cable only as it only has one cable tuner but great if you wanted 1 Sly and 1 Cable tuner but then you would need both a Sly and Cable line. For cable you do not need to have cable broadband but you are advised to have an active line so the most reliable way is to have cable internet.

Thanks for that. Was looking at single edision os mini or the mutant 1200. Not that bothered about recording as have kodi for catchup.

Looking to get costs down but kids need kids channels and I like me footie, but wife isn't too keen on the kodi set up for 'live' tele. How much approx would a stable sly line be do you think. I've looked on twitter, various sites, and on fleabay but worried about that site for reliability and accountability.

Hi all
Looking to buy a box, but wondering if anyone recommends a box for slytv or virmin? One better /easier than other? Would I need to have cable broadband for cable? I have by fibre.

I have the set up at home for either and will be mainly wanting for watching football/sports, kids TV, and general viewing.

Input welcome
Stepheb

I would suggest cable as you will still be able to enjoy full HD unlike most Sly channels, it does make a difference with sport in particular especially if viewed on a large TV

Last edited:
Thats what got me thinking about cable. I have an old-ish plasma tele about 46-48'' which really benefits from HD, very pixilated otherwise.

If I was you I would look for a twin cable box or a triple combo tuner (2 x cable & 1 x sly) :peace:

Having a combo tuner does give you more flexibility although like i've said you will require a cable and a sly line but still, you'd be saving a bunch compared to official prices. Unfortunately, lines are hit and miss - I got several tests from here that were really bad but eventually found a good one but I was drawn in by a cheap eBay line last year as a back up as it was only £7 for the year and i've had it on my box for 6 months and it's been one of the best lines i've used.

cost implication then though. Just want the sly channels as cheap and easily as possible so can get the wife onside with the purchases.

- - - Updated - - -

Pal of mine runs a site and said that he knows loads who have had positive experiences of ebay lines. Chance you take I suppose.

Seperate-ish question. Been reading around this forum and seems downloading an image is the way to go to save hassle of doing it myself. What do you think.

There are several images on here that are pretty much fully set-up for you - just flash it onto your box and away you go. I'm running Wooshbuild V5 on mine and couldn't get over how quick and easy it all was from start to finish.

Decent sky and VM subs are still cheap enough compared to the real thing mind. As said if go cable you'll get HD but if Atlantic and a live 3pm Sat game important(via dish) then go Sat, or both....

I have no VM subs at all but risk you take.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help everyone. Based on the comments think I'll look for satellite box. Anyone got experience of the Edison is mini or the mutant 1200?

Back