saurez

dee

TK Veteran
Last updated at 00:12

Facebook
Twitter

print

Luis Suarez: Brendan Rodgers tells Liverpool striker to train alone

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has been told to train alone by manager Brendan Rodgers, who says the player has shown "total disrespect" for the club.

Rodgers also rejected the Uruguay international's claim he was promised a transfer this summer if Liverpool did not qualify for the Champions League.

Suarez, 26, plans to submit a transfer request this week if a move is blocked.

"There were no promises made - categorically none - and no promises broken," insisted Rodgers.
Suarez in numbers
Luis Suarez

30 goals in 44 appearances for Liverpool last season
Since joining from Ajax in January 2011 for £22.7m, has scored 51 in 96 appearances
49 goals in 48 games for Ajax the season before joining Liverpool
35 goals in 69 appearances for Uruguay

"The club and his representatives had several conversations and he knew exactly where he was at.

"There has been total disrespect of the club - a club that has given him everything.

"Obviously the remarks I've read are bitterly disappointing - but my job is bigger than that."

Sources close to the Anfield club insist the decision to make Suarez train away from the first team was made before his outspoken interview, which broke on Tuesday, and is down to the player's lacklustre performances in recent friendly matches.

Rodgers added: "I will take strong, decisive action, absolutely. I think Luis knows the support he's had at the football club and that's something that's been unswerving throughout the whole of last season.

"My job is to fight and protect the club. The conversations I've had with him he knows I've had, and they will remain private."

Arsenal have had two bids rejected by the Reds, the latest of which was a pound over £40m and designed to trigger a release clause in Suarez's contract.

However, Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor explained there is no clause in the player's deal that means Liverpool have to sell him if a club offers more than £40m.

"If there is a minimum offer of £40m then the parties will discuss things but it does not say the club has to sell," said Taylor.

"There is a 'good faith' clause in relation to serious discussions, but I can't say it is a cast-iron buy-out clause."
Play media

Suarez's controversial career

Suarez is prepared to take the issue to the Premier League to force his exit but Liverpool insist they do not have to sell and Rodgers says Arsenal's offer remains well short of his club's valuation.

The forward took legal action against former club Groningen in 2006 when a bid from Ajax was rejected. He went to arbitration and lost - but was still sold as the Amsterdam side increased their offer.

Taylor will contact both the player and Liverpool in an attempt to help mediate on the matter, with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger "on standby" to do a deal.

"I just feel, like in any other transfer, it is better for both parties to get around the table to try to resolve it," Taylor added.

"At the moment it is certainly festering and I don't think it is a good situation for the player or the clubs involved.

Such a loyal servant! Says something about Liverpool when he considers a move to Arsenal a step up.

He has missed a substantial chunk of the last three seasons through suspension, not that Liverpool will be better without him, at least you'd have your full squad to choose from.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Luis Suarez: Liverpool owner John W Henry says striker not for sale

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer at any cost, the club's owner John W Henry has said.

Suarez, 26, has been told to train alone after seeking a move to Arsenal.

"We are not going to sell Luis," Henry told various newspapers. "It's very important [not to sell to a rival], but especially for Liverpool because we're not in Europe this year."
The Suarez saga
Luis Suarez

24 April: Banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

29 May: Drops a big hint that he wants to leave Liverpool after saying he finds life in England hard.

12 June: Suarez reiterates his love for Liverpool, but insists life in England is very hard.

8 July : Liverpool turn down a £30m bid from Arsenal.

24 July: Arsenal offer £40,000,001 for Suarez, triggering a clause in his contract.

2 August: Says he will consider a formal transfer request and the possibility of court action if his Liverpool dispute is not resolved.

7 August: Suarez says he wants to leave Liverpool to join a Champions League side.

8 August: Told to train alone by manager Brendan Rodgers, who says the player has shown "total disrespect" for the club.

8 August: Liverpool owner John W Henry insists striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer - no matter what the price.

He said it would be "ludicrous" to sell to a rival, adding he was "unequivocal" they would not sell to Arsenal.

The Gunners have had two offers turned down by the Reds, the latest of which was a pound over £40m.

Suarez thought this offer would trigger his release, but Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor says this is not the case.

With less than four weeks to go before the transfer window closes, Henry is adamant any offers from overseas clubs will also be rejected.

"He won't be sold even if a foreign club comes in because we do not have time to sign a suitable replacement," he said.

"It's not about finances. So late in the window... we can't replace him. So for football reasons we can't sell, and especially to Arsenal."

The American revealed that Suarez and his agent Pere Guardiola were informed any deal for him to leave Anfield would have to be completed early in the transfer window - giving manager Brendan Rodgers sufficient time to reinvest the fee.

"We made that clear early-on," added Henry. "I think the issue has been resolved now. We have said 'no'. Luis will be a Liverpool player on 3 September [the day after the transfer window closes]."

Rodgers has said the player has shown "total disrespect" for Liverpool and, when queried whether he envisaged the Uruguay international turning out for the Reds again, Henry replied: "That's going to be between the manager and player.

"The manager is upset, as he should be, the supporters are upset, Luis is, but that's going to be between those two and his team-mates. We need Luis. Hopefully this will pass."

Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker urged to accept stay

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes striker Luis Suarez will come to accept that he will not be sold.

Suarez, 26, has been told to train alone after seeking a move away from Anfield throughout the summer.
The Suarez saga
Luis Suarez

24 April: Banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

29 May: Drops a big hint that he wants to leave Liverpool after saying he finds life in England hard.

12 June: Suarez reiterates his love for Liverpool, but insists life in England is very hard.

8 July : Liverpool turn down a £30m bid from Arsenal.

24 July: Arsenal offer £40,000,001 for Suarez, triggering a clause in his contract.

2 August: Says he will consider a formal transfer request and the possibility of court action if his Liverpool dispute is not resolved.

7 August: Suarez says he wants to leave Liverpool to join a Champions League side.

8 August: Told to train alone by manager Brendan Rodgers, who says the player has shown "total disrespect" for the club.

8 August: Liverpool owner John W Henry insists striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer - no matter what the price.

Arsenal have had two bids rejected for the Uruguayan, with Liverpool owner John W Henry saying it would be "ludicrous" to sell to their rivals.

"There will come a point where he'll recognise the club is not going to sell," Rodgers said.

Suarez has agitated for a switch since the end of last season, admitting in May that it would be "difficult to say no" to a move to Real Madrid when speaking to a Uruguayan radio station.

The only official interest in him thus far has come from Arsenal, however, with their latest offer of a pound over £40m being turned down.

That deal had been expected to trigger a release clause in the contract by the player, with Suarez going on to tell the Guardian and Daily Telegraph he had been promised he could leave Liverpool this summer if they did not qualify for the Champions League.

Both Rodgers and Henry have dismissed that assertion.

Speaking ahead of a friendly against Celtic in Dublin on Saturday, the Liverpool manager again reiterated his club's position that there is "no inclination to sell".

"We're quite calm," Rodgers said. "The club is in control of the situation.

"We've got no inclination to sell and we've been strong on that."

Suarez has excelled since arriving at Anfield in January 2011 from Ajax for £22.7m, scoring 51 goals in 96 appearances.

Despite the furore surrounding him, Rodgers was convinced Suarez would continue his excellent form for Liverpool if forced to stay.
Suarez in numbers
Luis Suarez

30 goals in 44 appearances for Liverpool last season
Since joining from Ajax in January 2011 for £22.7m, has scored 51 in 96 appearances
49 goals in 48 games for Ajax the season before joining Liverpool
35 goals in 69 appearances for Uruguay

"He's a world-class striker. I've got no question that when he's back he'll have a similar impact," the 40-year-old said.

Rodgers also stated Suarez would return to training with his team-mates once his approach improved.

"It's been a difficult period for him but it's my job to protect the group," he said. "Once he's back with the spirit he'll rejoin the group."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has reacted to Liverpool's vow that they will not let Suarez leave by stating he will continue his pursuit of the player in "a respectful and amicable way".

"There is nothing to add to what I said already about the transfer of Suarez," he said. "If it will be done, it will be done in a respectful and amicable way with Liverpool.

"I didn't read [Henry's] statements but we'll be faithful to the way we want to behave.

"We are looking at possibilities to strengthen our squad. Suarez is one of the targets. If he's not for sale, he's not for sale. We have to accept that."

Back